Forums Latest Members

Generally, do you like "watch" people?

1. M'Bob Sep 1, 2017

It seems that every hobby has its unique cross-section of participants and characters.

For a while, I was involved with collecting and restoring vintage racing bikes. A larger group of eccentrics you would be hard-pressed to find.

Years ago, I joined a middle-aged guy basketball league. No shortage there of hyper-competitive dudes, attempting to either re-live past glories, or fantasizing about creating new ones.

Then, I had a short foray with screenwriting - an earnest albeit delusional bunch, fretting constantly over the content of their anticipated Oscar acceptance speeches.

In high school, I did magic and ventriloquism: let's just say that "strange" doesn't begin to describe the people who gravitate towards these endeavors.

Watch people seem different. I generally like almost every dealer I've had a transaction with, and surprisingly, never had one attempt to gouge me. I truly like my local watchmakers, and the ones on this forum, who in like kind, never shy away from helping by unflinchingly sharing their years of expertise and experience. I really appreciate that. I've even sent money for watches to small countries, knowing it was a total crap-shoot, but somehow, have never gotten majorly burned. And last but not certainly least, I have a number of friends that I share this interest with, which makes it all the more enjoyable. So, yeah, I like "watch" people.

What about you?

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 1, 2017

My answer is an old joke. I would never care for a group that would accept me as a member. :D

Edited Sep 1, 2017
    IDXM, Jwit, Riviera Paradise and 9 others like this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 1, 2017

I like most watch people. The "scoundrels" to me are not really watch people.

Jwit, mikechi22, Pun and 7 others like this.
  4. dialstatic Sep 1, 2017

I dislike people in general. You know, as a species. Some individual specimens - and this includes a small number of watch people - are okay, I guess.

José9, Madjam1966, Paedipod and 6 others like this.
  5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Sep 1, 2017

pennsyl936, dialstatic and M'Bob like this.
  6. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Sep 1, 2017

I do, but I suspect like many others I prefer some to others. My favourites are those that simply like watches, and appreciate pretty much anything regardless brand/age/collectability and have formed their own unique style or taste. I don't enjoy so much where conversations are all about how many expensive watches said person owns, although even then I'll still happily chat away, I'm easy going enough.

Matty01, Pun and M'Bob like this.
  7. abrod520 Sep 1, 2017

Depends on the person. Some are in it for the status only, to show off. Some are in it just to make a buck. And some are in it cause they're nerds. I like the nerds.

Haris, powderstick, Matty01 and 12 others like this.
  8. AnotherDon Sep 1, 2017

I generally like "watch" people. I don't always get it about the vintage watches, and certainly not the "pocket watch" people, but I tend to chalk that up to my lack of knowledge. I've tried to like vintage and own a couple of them, but I don't get it. I'm more of a newish watch guy. Even at my age I try to keep myself looking good and I'd rather not be wearing a watch that looks like it was rode hard and hung up wet. But the hobby is big enough for all of us. We pays our money and makes our choices. And there are a lot of choices. More choices than money unfortunately.

Pax vobiscum.

9. Shailor Sep 1, 2017

The watch people I've run across, particularly on this site, are helpful and quick to congratulate each other. This is new to me and any help offered is gladly accepted

José9 and mikechi22 like this.
  10. chunkythebulldog Sep 1, 2017

The watch people I've met at GTG's through this site all appear to be alcoholics @Peemacgee @Stu-Silver @philh @jimmyd13

Tik-Tok of Oz, Tet, kov and 6 others like this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 1, 2017

The people off this site or through other watch collector sites I've met in person have all been pretty awesome, maybe I've just been lucky but its a really nice thing to be able to chill out and talk about intricate watch nerd stuff without friends and family eye rolling at you for a change :)

Matty01, Mods, mikechi22 and 9 others like this.
  12. M'Bob Sep 1, 2017

Tik-Tok of Oz, Larry S and BenBagbag like this.
  13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 1, 2017

I have been actively involved in rock climbing/mountaineering for 45+ years and have found the folk involved in these endeavours to be overwhelmingly fabulous people to be with, in person. But, give them a pseudonym and seat behind a computer keyboard, and many in this crowd become cynical, berating, and vicious to the point that I don't hang around on on-line fora anymore. It's balloon-popping taken to a whole new level. I think it's because an unusually large proportion of people in this crowd are so enamoured with their own achievements that they think allowing someone else to feel a sense of achievement might in some way diminish what they themselves have accomplished.

I'm also an avid scuba diver and hang around on on-line scuba and underwater photography fora. Again, in person, scuba divers are generally a lot of fun to be with. But the frequent behind-the-screen sniping is a real disappointment. Although this bunch is not nearly as nasty as the on-line climbing community can be, there is still a dismaying amount of cynicism and balloon-popping.

In contrast to the two groups described above, I have found watch people to be overwhelmingly gentleman-ly and gentlewoman-ly in all circumstances, be it in person or on-line in a forum such as this. No, we're not 100% perfect in civility and respectful treatment of each other, but pretty darn close in my book. This forum is one of my Happy Places, so yes, I like watch people a lot.

And I'm happy that I could write this as my 2,000th post on this forum :)

Edited Sep 1, 2017
  14. albertob Sep 1, 2017

Having an omega on my wrist made a colleague start a conversation with me. Now we are really good friends, although he is the Rolex guy. Watches, connecting people.

Tik-Tok of Oz and CTS-V like this.
  15. jimmyd13 Sep 1, 2017

That's totally uncalled for. I would never call @philh an alcoholic.

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  16. jfmiii Sep 1, 2017

the people who are really into watches are almost exclusively great. you know the guy who would get just as jazzed seeing a $60k vintage Rolex on one guy's wrist and a $1000 vintage Bulova chronograph on another's. the worst are the people who think they are "watch guys" but really know nothing and think they have best and brightest in their 116610 and ask why you dont replace your Red 1680 with the new ceramic model.

Larry S and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 1, 2017

Have met some amazing people through Omega Forum.

In general I am finding people harder to understand nowdays.

Sold a car the other day.
    The large amount of money hungry low ballers started the show.
    The semi low ballers and take my offer now ( right now ) followed.
    Then the can I look at a time that suits me not you came along.

Getting to the people that had agreed to look

The nicest guy I dealt with was the first guy to come and have a look at a time that suited me straight after work ( was a driving instructor and came with a client in the car but wanted to be one of the first to look ) took it for a drive and made a offer I countered Sold gave me $300 deposit to come later.

Then came the next guy 5 minutes later that wanted the car also after seeing it and was dismayed that I had let someone else see the car before him. Told him it just sold and was sorry. Next minute text messages offering $200 more, have cash now. So f::censored::k the other bloke I want it and wouldn't stop after mentioning I had already taken a deposit and handshake.

Next came the I was a prick for selling it to someone before they saw it and they had to work till late and how dare there was anyone allowed to look but them. How dare I
    This group really blew me away.

Dealt with 20 people in real life and only one guy was a decent bloke that still knew the old ways of being a nice guy and I was glad that this guy got the car.

( came with hes kids to pick it up didn't try to get me to lower the sale price so he had to pay less in transfer fee,s ( which would be like falsely declaring on a watch package ) and knowing it was my late mothers car even said I could come and have a coffee with him anytime and said he would look after the car. Had a nice watch on also. Older Seiko chrono )

Edited Sep 1, 2017
    Damo, khmt2, Longbow and 3 others like this.
  18. Kmart Sep 1, 2017

Great post and it's funny that you mention this specifically. I just got into Scuba diving recently (getting my open water cert next weekend, WOOHOO! ::psy::), so I've been spending a lot of my time researching gear and such, and the sheer amount of vitriol on Scuba forums is crazy! Everyone seems to have an extremely strong opinion on what gear to use and exactly how to use it, and of course their opinion is the only correct one. This attitude seems to lead to a lot of frustrating arguments with insults being thrown around left and right. And yet, every single diver I've interacted with so far in person while going through the program has been wonderful to talk to! My gut feeling is that the more laid-back divers don't bother registering on ScubaBoard just to waste their time arguing when they could be diving instead. ;)

melanieux, Greatoldone and M'Bob like this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 1, 2017

@STANDY ... I hear you...I've been selling my cars myself for 30 years vs trading them in. I buy new and keep em in good shape, all records. Generally it's been an easy and pleasant process. Selling my last Outback was a nightmare. A veritable parade of a...holes. I blame Pawn Stars. Donating them to Public Radio from now on or trading. Not worth the aggravation.

20. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Sep 1, 2017

A bit of advice: NEVER, under any circumstance, get involved in a conversation (in person or on-line) that includes discussion of the DIR system of diving. That is, unless you are a DIR devotee and are in the exclusive company of other DIR-ers. :)

p.s. -- A big congratulations on getting certified!!! That's awesome.

Edited Sep 1, 2017
    Kmart likes this.