Forums Latest Members

General Buying Questions from a New Guy

1. epl108 Jan 1, 2014

Happy 2014 to everyone!

Looking to get more involved in the upcoming year, and am looking for some hints about how you guys go about finding the new (to you) watches you buy. I have kept a keen eye on the sales section on this forum and am aware that many people here are big proponents of eBay (I've also kept an eye on the recommended watches on eBay thread) but I'd like to know what other websites seem to be best (seen people mention Chrono24 and WUS), and what hints or tricks people may use to make keeping an eye on something like eBay easier or more successful? Do you just sign into eBay and repeat the same search each day or are there any ways to set up a perpetual search so the website notifies you if something specifically matching your criteria were to show up?

Thanks for all your continued support and education!

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 1, 2014

You can certainly set up automated searches on eBay, and WatchRecon will help you keep an eye on the various fora. Trawling the web often will also yield targets. You should also put the word out about what you are looking for, but the more publicly you do it, the more you should be prepared for scammers to reply.

3. ulackfocus Jan 1, 2014

Develop contacts outside of the normal avenues. Your watchmaker can even put you together with his other clients. Some are fellow collectors, others come in off the street with an inherited watch that they have no clue how much the maintenance costs (they think it just needs a new battery :rolleyes:) and want to sell instead of pay hundreds to repair grandpa's old watch. I also check the We Buy Gold places on occasion, but they're getting more savvy and often list on eBay.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 1, 2014

This is pretty much how I find 'em.

Lou and I fish in different ponds. More like Lou is fishing for trophy marlin and I'm casting for bass at the local lake. :)

You just need to keep keen on the current market. Looking at completed sales data on eBay (green numerals only) is the best way to do this.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa