Forums Latest Members
  1. DesignerV Mar 20, 2019

With the recent news of Omega re-creating the Cal 321 movement, it struck me as peculiar when they noted having used Gene Cernan's Speedmaster's movement as the basis. Out of all of the watches with Cal 321, why this one?

This watch does have a good bit of history on it, and I might suspect it is foreshadowing toward where we will see the new movement used.

There are some great pictures of this watch at the bottom of the Fratello article:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/omega-caliber-321-back-production/

However, I had a feeling I'd seen this watch before... so I flipped through AJTT, and found it.

IMG_9148.JPG

I found a number of comparisons on the watch between its current state and its state at the time of this photograph. Unfortunately the AJTT picture is not high-resolution, and I don't know the source of this inset photo.
    Chronograph Hour Hand was applied.
    Minute Hand looks to have lost some luminous material.
    Dial luminous material looks a little lighter now, probably just the lighting.
    Still has two different size chronograph pushers.
    Most significantly, the crystal has many new cracks!
    See any others?

Hopefully this means that after Omega returned the watch to him in 2006, he enjoyed wearing it for another decade, and that it found its way to Omega again after his passing. I found no record of this watch in the searchable Smithsonian Archive.

Anyone know anything more about why this watch was used in the promotions?

2. Texas Toast Mar 21, 2019

As to why the 105.033 was/is used for promotions .... strikes me as pure PR gold!

In my understanding, most NASA-issued watches were retained by NASA and ultimately transferred to the Smithsonian/NASM in 1977 (with the exception of Armstrongs's A11 145.012 in 1973 and Collins' A11 145.012 in 1990). Why the 105.003 was kept by Cernan after Gemini 9 is unclear to me but it is among the few listed as “On Loan to Omega Museum” here:
    https://www.worldoftime.de/data/cms_data/files/6887018b54652924432c4e168ae869a3.pdf
    Specifically your AJTT page says on loan from Cernan vs. other "On Loan to Omega Museum" watches that can be found in the Smithsonian's holdings. Perhaps someone else can clarify if NASA uniquely gave the 105.003 to Cernan or otherwise explain the outlier (looking at you @TLIGuy!)

While the Smithsonian has no record of Cernan’s 105.003, suggesting it indeed was never transferred by NASA, they do have the two 145.012s used by Cernan on A10 and A17.
    https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/chronograph-cernan-apollo-10
    https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/chronograph-cernan-apollo-17

With photos for some backup, a WUS thread suggests he used the 105.003 (S/N#28) in addition to the NASA-issued 145.012s on A10 (S/N#41) and A17 (S/N #67). https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/apollo-17-commander-gene-cernans-omega-speedmaster-612152.html. Only #67 was visible outside Cernan’s suit on A17 EVAs. Couldn’t confirm whether #28 made it to the lunar surface underneath the suit or was left behind in the LM but NASA photo AS17-145-22224 shows a hint of a JB bracelet on Cernan's wrist following EVA2, after removal of gloves/helmet, and before EVA suit removal.
    AS17-145-22224_R.jpg
    Source image (inset photo added): https://www.honeysucklecreek.net/images/images_Apollo_17/AS17-145-22224.jpg

3. DesignerV Mar 22, 2019

TT, Your findings were the exact same path I took, leading me to post this thread wondering about it's path of possession. Thank you for adding those details and links!

4. TLIGuy Mar 23, 2019

I'll take a stab at a few of these questions. I do have a source that can confirm the chain of custody of the Cernan 105.003 Speedmaster but I have not received the information back but when I do I will share it. I have also asked for some clarification on the condition of the watch today regarding the damage and if there is any background on how it happen.

I believe this question was answered in a previous post when the new 321 was announced. I agree with @Texas Toast that this is marketing at its best by Omega. I think Omega would have access the most pristine condition 321 watch and movement in they needed it for scans. Why use Cernan's old beat up watch that could have just as many issues inside as it does on the exterior. It just doesn't make sense to me other than from a marketing stand point to create excitement.

I think @DesignerV makes an interesting observation between the image in AJTT and the current state of the watch, especially the crystal damage and the replaced sub dial hand. In thinking back about what Cernan has said about the watch I question this statement made by him.

“The Speedmaster is the only thing we took the Moon that had no modification whatsoever – it was right off the shelf. What’s interesting about my first one is that it’s beat up, it’s never been cleaned, it’s never been repaired and to this day I can take that watch and wind it and it keeps time as well as the day I got it."

It is probably true that he could wind it up and wear the watch but the two images call into question whether it has ever been serviced or repaired.

I take everything written by Omega with a grain of salt and a healthy bit of skepticism. Their section on space history online is riddled with inaccurate facts and they have even gone as far as to Photoshop a watch onto the arm of an astronaut for marketing purposes.

If the watch was returned to Cernan I believe he only wore it for promotional appearances and public events.

Like I said, I'll get clarification, but I believed the watch is the property of the NASM and on loan to Omega. The world of time list you link to is no longer listed regarding the NASA watches and was removed because it was woefully inaccurate. The NASM and Omega have been trying to update the list and it was to be released this year. That said, there was discussion that the list would not be released for security reasons. Hopefully they do but I'm not holding my breath for it.

The on loan form Cernan could be a true statement depending how they parse their words. I know of a few watches that were sent directly to astronauts who then presented them to a specific museum for display. So basically the Omega museum is saying the watch did come from Cernan but really originated from the NASM on loan with Cernan being the intermediary between the two.

Just because the online reference does not include the watch does not necessarily mean it is not part of their collection or they have no record of it. About 2 years ago the NASM updated the online collection with 25 additional watches after they were opened and photographed for the first time bringing the total online presence to 49. I know there is an ongoing effort to add additional watches online but it is a slow process to track them down and document them.

5. Texas Toast Mar 23, 2019

Good stuff. Thanks, and curious to hear if you learn more.

The 105.003 does look to have taken a bit of a beating along the way but, man, talk about a storied existence.

6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 26, 2019

In summary: an interesting story from a marketing standpoint in order to create excitement...
    Well Omega succeeded to do so as the Apollo era appeals to the imagination of old & young generations alike.
    However this forum has revealed far more interesting facts that Omega could use for marketing purposes or to genuinely impress Speedmaster fans ;)
    After all Omega has been researching the ultimate space watch during their Alaska Project and recently revealed details of the Alaska 11 project, bringing that project in the 21st century (1969-2019).

KingCrouchy and DesignerV like this.
  7. jimmyd13 Mar 26, 2019

So .... we get the assymetrical bridge on the new 321?

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 26, 2019

FWIW, some recent pics...

3848EB6B-E3B0-4D58-BD0A-55DBF7E0677D.jpeg E4F3D9E7-130E-440A-A626-F30AEBEAEBFF.jpeg

Duracuir1, bardamu, ndgal and 8 others like this.
  9. mr_yossarian Mar 26, 2019

These both Watches are 105.012s and the Apollo 17 flown for sure a CB. AFAIK Cernan wore two Speedies on Apollo 17, the .003 over and the .012 CB under his suite, believe @SpeedyPhill mentioned this earlier somewhere on OF.

10. mr_yossarian Mar 26, 2019

ext1, Dash1 and eugeneandresson like this.
  11. TLIGuy Mar 26, 2019

Two Speedmasters yes but you have it reversed. .012 on the exterior of the suit and the .003 under.

12. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Mar 26, 2019

Astronaut Eugene Cernan always wore his Speedie on the inner side of his left wrist:
    105003_Cernan.jpg
    105003_Speedmaster.jpg

DesignerV and eugeneandresson like this.
  13. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 26, 2019

I believe so! They also have Wally's -4 ... apparently ...

mr_yossarian likes this.
  14. mr_yossarian Mar 26, 2019

Uhh!! :)

15. pix98 Mar 28, 2019

m.JPG
    first official picture of the "moustach gang"

Ascalon likes this.
  16. Basset Hound Mar 28, 2019

It wasn’t on display when I went at the beginning of March. If it’s there when you go send me a picture! Hope you have a great visit.

17. TLIGuy Apr 30, 2019

So clarification just arrived. I think I was close in my assumption.

"The Cernan chronograph SN 28 is indeed the property of the Smithsonian, and has a catalog number. It is on loan to Omega, but it has not been here (NASM) in most all of its history - I think it went straight from Gene to them but I'd need to look that up to be sure. I suspect any damage occurred before it reached Omega."

Texas Toast likes this.
  18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 30, 2019

ndgal, Omegafanman and Alb765 like this.
  19. TLIGuy Apr 30, 2019

The video is nice but clearly Petros is incorrect when he says that the watch was worn on the exterior of Cernan's suit. It is also quite a leap to infer that that the damage to the crystal possibly occurred while coming down the ladder of the LEM among other things.

Edited Apr 30, 2019
    SpeedyPhill, DesignerV and ext1 like this.
  20. DesignerV Apr 30, 2019

Thanks for closing the loop on that!
    Makes sense to me, and I would still guess the additional damage occurred during the period of time when it was in Gene's possession while away from the museum post-2006, prior to its return to the museum. (I am in no way saying that this is bad, or should be changed, only curious. I hope it will remain as-is.)

I think it's great that NASM shares their artifacts so that more people and places can experience them.

I hope I get to see a few more of these watches!

TLIGuy likes this.