Forums Latest Members

Gender in watch collection

1. MajorCindy Jul 1, 2020

Quite interesting to chance upon a thread like this one. As a female myself, I honestly think gender has nothing to do with watch collecting. I'm a total newbie but I am sure some other females are experts/avid collectors. Same goes for guys.

With regards to style, it's completely arbitrary too.. some people like it big, some prefer it small, different case models, movements, etc and really it depends much more on taste and how you see yourselves (rather than genders).

Over the years, I have enjoyed learning more and more about watches. It started with buying unknown quartz brand that I feel very attractive (yes, still feel that way) as a reward for scoring an internship. Many occasions later, my collection expanded to start including automatic movement with open caseback and now I'm starting to have interest on vintage watches.

My experience here are very good so far and I appreciate the help others have given to me. Sure I hope OF will continue to be an open and welcoming community, for everyone to share regardless of genders:thumbsup:

ELV web, Syrte, lindo and 1 other person like this.
  2. BrianPankow Jul 2, 2020

Thank you for these kind words. This tread was getting a little crazy.

3. BrianPankow Jul 2, 2020

4. lindo Jul 2, 2020

I love the fact that my wife of nearly thirty years is also a watch collector. She is an antiques and art dealer - fine watches have always interested her, from the extremes of an Omega Co-axial chronograph to an Art Deco DROZ cocktail watch rather dramatically set with 249 diamonds. She has owned Pateks, Rolexes, IWCs, Cartiers and many others - and even has a mid-eighteenth century English pair cased pocket watch.

She buys differently to me, but we both enjoy the hunt for bargains. There is no way I would argue a gender difference: it is just two people with a largely shared but not identical set of collecting values. Every now and then one of us finds something the other would like, so we have traded.

Because we are both collectors, we can share the excitement of finding something new regardless of whether it is my find or hers. What could be better?

SpikiSpikester, ELV web and pete91m like this.
  5. ELV web Jul 5, 2020

Back on track:thumbsup:

Syrte likes this.