Forums Latest Members
  1. aarontoth Jul 30, 2017

Hi all,

I decided to dive head first into the sea of vintage Omegas (hopefully) and wanted to check in on the following one I picked up off eBay for a decent price.

Things looked right to me, but I've only been on the hunt during this weekend, and tried to use the guides and content on these forums to prevent myself from getting scammed.

Looks like a 552 movement
    Movement serial number: 28256161
    Case serial number: 165.041

My anxiety is in full gear for sure. Mostly concerned with the hand design.

$_57 (1).JPG $_57.JPG omega_geneve_552_012.jpg omega_geneve_552_013.jpg

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jul 30, 2017

Did you compare it to other examples?

3. BenBagbag Jul 30, 2017

+1
    The hand set never came with this watch. That being said it's not the worst mistake, but next time ask before you dive.

Is that dirt/damage in the dial or on the crystal?

If the watch speaks to you enjoy it... But it's far from a good example. Good luck!

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 30, 2017

Would have had luminous filled stick hands.

5. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jul 31, 2017

And a straight sweep without the front arrowhead or rear bulge?

6. ConElPueblo Jul 31, 2017

Hi @aarontoth, welcome onboard :)

I gave this advice to another new member last week and I will repeat it here:

Never buy these unless they are perfect and cheap. There are thousands of them out there, most of them in really good condition... A rule of thumb: unless it is a rare watch (and not "dealer rare", but proper rare), never buy anything in bad condition. You will appreciate specimen in good condition much, much more than you'll ever grow to like ones that are flawed.

This Geneve reference is really one of the vintage Omegas I see for sale most often and prices are often very low - and somehow it seems that there is very little correlation between price and condition. It is not uncommon to find a specimen in perfect cosmetic condition for around $250.

Davidt and COYI like this.
  7. WhatYourWatchSay Aug 1, 2017

Hey, that's the one I had listed on ebay!

8. aarontoth Aug 2, 2017

Caught me red-handed! eBaying is expensive from Canada because of shipping/duty, so was very happy and maybe jumped the gun a bit. But very little regrets, looks better in person than the pics I think.

Of course, doing my due diligence after the fact. But it did feel good to win an auction on eBay for once. Throwing a black leather strap on this because the default is umm...interesting.

Curious, where did you pick this up?

mikechi22 likes this.
  9. WhatYourWatchSay Aug 2, 2017

The story of my life ;)

I actually bought the watch because of the bracelet, believing the seller when he said it was genuine and original to the watch.

I bought it from the son of the original owner in Waterloo and I'm embarrassed to say I paid more than it sold for. I will say that when I wore it the movement kept very good time.

10. ChrisN Aug 2, 2017

I think the correct bracelet for these is a fixoflex. And I just happen to have one for sale on this very forum...

Shameless plug I know:rolleyes:

Cheers, Chris

11. WhatYourWatchSay Aug 2, 2017