Forums Latest Members
  1. dannyranch Nov 15, 2018

Hello,

I’ve finally acquired a dial in good condition but it seems that one of the pins (or is it ‘feet’?) is a bit crooked. I haven’t had a change to actually test the fit yet due to tools still in transit.

If it doesn’t fit, how does one go about repairing it? What’s the procedure? Soldering?

/ ranch

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 15, 2018

If the foot is bent, it has to be straightened. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of watch repair experience, so you might want to take this to a watchmaker, because if you snap the foot off, it becomes a much bigger repair.

Cheers, Al

François Pépin and X350 XJR like this.
  3. dannyranch Nov 15, 2018

You are very correct, I don’t have much experience. The question remains though, how do you actually repair it?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2018

You bend them back straight...

5. wsfarrell Nov 16, 2018

Reminds me of a scene from Straight Story, a great movie about a guy named Alvin who rides his lawnmower across two states to visit his dying brother.

Prior to his journey, Alvin goes to the general store for some supplies:

Alvin: Fred, I'd like to get one of those grabber things.
    Fred: What on earth are you going to use a grabber for, Alvin?
    Alvin: Grabbin'....

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 16, 2018

Well, if the next question is "How do I bend them back straight?" that's a clear sign you need to take it to a watchmaker...

Interstellar likes this.
  7. dannyranch Nov 17, 2018

ok wow.. I feel like sharing a bit. This is the fourth time out of a “strong” five posts in total I’ve asked about something very relevant and gotten nothing but condescending, juvenile answers. The last time I didn’t even get a single answer when asking about a bracelet (?).

How hard is it to just say: one method in replacing a dial foot is to use a soldering iron, some flux (perhaps alcohol based for a cleaner result) and some leaded solder for better heat spread? Of course done by experienced people with the right touch so that the dial isn’t damaged due to excessive heat.

Bending it back straight isn’t really what I was asking about as much as actually replacing something broken. Perhaps I was vague??

This elitist attitude is so old.

Thinking I chose the path of least resistance in coming here for answers, I was clearly wrong.

Apparently, yapping on about what music I listen to draws a much bigger crowd than actually asking about Omegas haha.

Again, wow.
    Quoting every parent ever; “I’m not mad. I’m just disappointed.”

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 17, 2018

Straightening a dial foot is almost as delicate an operation as brain surgery, thus the advice offered.

As for actually replacing one, give me a call when your "soldering iron, some flux (perhaps alcohol based for a cleaner result) and some leaded solder for better heat spread" fixes your problem.

I've been holding on to repairing a 60 year old Seamaster 600 dial with a broken foot and I'd be overjoyed if your method yields results without destroying the dial side.

connieseamaster and dannyranch like this.
  9. dannyranch Nov 17, 2018

Yes, I am aware of the delicacy.
    The soldering is what pops up when you look it up on YouTube.

You have doubts regarding the quote, that’s totally fine. Now that that’s established, would you care to share another way of replacing it?

The case is that my dial may need repair and I’m only curious about how to do just that. That’s it.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 17, 2018

What you received in this thread was answers to the question you asked. Might not have been the question you wanted the answer to, but don't blame me/us for your poorly worded question.

No "perhaps" about it.

This "I deserve answers to poorly worded questions" is so old...

Even though you are acting like an entitled prick, I'll still answer the question you really wanted an answer to, but only asked late in this thread. The proper way to repair a broken dial foot (not a crooked one as you initially asked) is to take it to a watchmaker that has the proper equipment to do the repair. This is not a DIY job unless you want to ruin the dial. Controlling heat is critical, and the method most commonly used is a dial foot soldering machine, which is specifically designed to do this job.

The machine uses a jig to hold the dial and new dial foot wire in place securely, then a carbon rod to complete the circuit and heat the wire. The dial surfaces and wire must be cleaned thoroughly, and the proper type and amount of flux applied, and using the right type of solder is critical as the wrong kind will require too much heat and burn the dial. Even with this equipment I find it a tricky process to get just right and get a strong bond...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also heard of people doing this with a laser welding machine, but it's not a method I have tried personally, and it requires a machine that costs about $30k - at least that's what my friend paid for his.

Next time please think about the question you are asking, and if it's clear to people who are reading it. This may help you get better answers to your questions without looking like a whiny dick in the process. I know you didn't ask me for that advice, but I'm guessing you meant to...

Cheers, Al

11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 17, 2018

New member post #6:

"This elitist attitude is so old."

Surely this deserves some kind of award...

12. Canuck Nov 17, 2018

Use bismuth solder which melts at a lower temperature than lead. Oh, and asking questions on a MB such as this is not going to yield answers that will miraculously give you what you need to suddenly become an expert watchmaker. Many of us who do this for living frequently encounter a watch that could have had a chance had we got at it first, before some handyman took a crack at it. Lose the chip on your shoulder!

dannyranch likes this.
  13. dannyranch Nov 17, 2018

I very much appreciate these answers and as I’m reading my initial post I realize my mistakes.

The pictures and explanations were spot on, thank you very much! This was exactly what I was looking for.

I’ll make sure to phrase my future questions better before posting.

/ ranch