Forums Latest Members
  1. sweepingsecond Apr 4, 2019

Hello everyone,

I've been a big fan of Omega and a bit of a lurker here for some time now, and just bought a mid 70's Genève. I have a question that I'm hoping you can help me with - I haven't been able to find anything on the forum.

While setting the time and date I noticed when I pushed the crown back in that there was still a bit of axial play - i.e. when the crown is pushed back into its normal "I'm wearing the watch" position and I press on it a little bit, it budges just a fraction towards the case and then back. This is with less force than is needed to switch to and from the time and date setting positions. I've never seen this on any other watch so I'm assuming it not normal?

Could it be possible that the previous owner switched the crown and chose one that is slightly too short? Is this a problem? I feel like it's not great mechanically and also from the standpoint of water tightness...

Would a solution be to find the correct (deeper?) crown and replacing it?

Best regards and thanks
    sweepingsecond

20190404_091904.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 4, 2019

I first thought it may be a split stem issue , but as your case is a screw back that isn't the issue.

The answer will be here somewhere.

[​IMG]
    (Thanks for the pic @ChrisN )

Maybe a trip to a watchmaker to either get the stem cut to the right length, or a new stem.

3. seber Apr 4, 2019

You can use a file to shorten the stem. Pretty easy fix. Just don't go too far.

4. sweepingsecond Apr 6, 2019

Hello, thank you both for your answers!
    Will take it to a local watchmaker and ask him to cut down the stem to the appropriate size.