Forums Latest Members
  1. PedroHeuer85 Aug 16, 2018

Good Afternoon All,

Ive been considering to attempt cleaning up my PO bracelet as its looking a bit battered.

For brushed finishes i have previously used a glassfiber pen which has worked quite well on the watch casing for small scratches but the whole bracelet needs doing and think this is far too much to do with the pen alone.

I stumbled across a thread discussing Garryflex blocks with some very positive feedback but my question is what grade do i use? There is a listing on the bay for 4 blocks with grit values 36 60 120 and 240 - am i best to buy the 4 for £20 or will i not have use for some of them so best to buy individual values?

I hope that makes sense and thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
    Pete

2. Canuck Aug 16, 2018

Why not buy the assortment. Then, start with the fine grade, and work your way down to the coarser grades until you find the brushed finish you prefer. Probably cheaper this way, than buying one at a time.

3. PedroHeuer85 Aug 16, 2018

Thanks for your reply, i havent used grit blocks before so wasnt sure if some of the grades were too coarse for what im using them for. Usually read with these sorts of things people using one grade then gradually swapping to another - i just dont know what way round to be doing it? Do you start coarse then get lighter or do it the other way round?

Also do i need anything else for after or it it just a case of wiping down with a microfibre cloth?

4. Canuck Aug 16, 2018

DO NOT start with a coarse grit! Period! If you made the mistake of starting with a coarse grit, and find that you are not pleased with the texture, you will have one devil of a time covering the coarse texture with finer grit! As I said, START with a fine texture. If you wish a coarser texture, it will be easy cover the fine texture with a coarser texture. You might also consider Scotch Brite pads which are available in a variety of textures. Probably cheaper and more available than the blocks you mentioned. Scotch Brite pads (or an equivalent) are likely available in the household cleaners department of a super market.

5. Vitezi Aug 16, 2018

I have used Scotch Brite "hand pads" with good success.
    I found these in fine/very fine/ultra fine grits in a hardware store, located with the sandpaper.
    [​IMG]

6. PedroHeuer85 Aug 16, 2018

so would the scotch brite be a better alternative to the Garryflex.. i was really only interested in the blocks cause they can be broken down smaller if need be for more ease of use?

What ever i use though will need to start with a very fine grit then work my way up to desired finish?

7. Canuck Aug 16, 2018

You’ve been given two alternatives to the Garryflex. Time to make up your mind what you are going to use. One more time! Use the fine grit first, then proceed from there.

Edited Aug 16, 2018
  8. PedroHeuer85 Aug 17, 2018

Thanks