Forums Latest Members
  1. mks4 Jan 25, 2015

Hi guys,

So, I picked up this Gallet today for a few hundred $. It keeps great time but the chronograph was acting up and I ultimately shook the center hand from its mount (it was heading to service anyhow).

So...any thoughts on this piece? Movement type, etc? It actually wears nicely at what seems to be near 36mm.

Thanks!
    Mike

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422219507.330534.jpg

rogart and RawArcher like this.
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 26, 2015

@citizenrich has snagged a few lately. He might be able to help.

3. SeanO Jan 26, 2015

I believe most of the Regulator style Gallets are Venus movements but I'll defer to an expert.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 26, 2015

Venus 140 if I'm not mistaken. Can't comment on the dial, though they came in several configurations.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 26, 2015

Look like a redial based on the off-center ill-sized subdial printing

6. mks4 Jan 26, 2015

That's a bummer...but still a fun wear. Thanks!

7. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jan 27, 2015

Yes, Venus 140 for this watch. I'm certainly no expert but my watchmaker definitely is. I (((heart))) my watchmaker but I wish he had chosen just about any other 40's/50's/60's chronograph to specialize in. I'd have a way nicer "collection". :p

This is definitely a re-dial but if you only paid a few hundred dollars then I wouldn't sweat it. The reality is that there's a 50/50 chance a good redial on a Gallet could actually look superior to an original dial lol

Gallet manufactured excellent watch cases and high grade movements (I've had more than a few watchmakers tell me the EP 40/60 is a superior in-house movement). Where Gallet falls short is in the dial department. For even a mint + bang-on collector grade, perfectly preserved watch won't knock your socks off the way just about every other Swiss chronograph watch from the gilded era of wristwatches will…

*edit

I'll provide an example. These two watches are only a few serial numbers apart which means they were likely assembled at approximately the same time. The watch on the left is an legit 7.5 / 10 ; it's an honest example (100% original). Ok, the watch on the right is a 9.9 / 10 ; it's practically perfect. Perhaps one of the top few in the world. My point is that even a "perfect" Gallet ain't exactly perfect lol.

I like think (HOPE) there's tons of upside for this little loved brand. Only time will tell.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Jan 27, 2015
  8. SeanO Jan 28, 2015

my two are away holidaying at a spa and retreat in GA at the moment.

I have that exact watch and another 2 reg version from the late 60's.