Forums Latest Members

Gallet Multichron 12, Radium Dial, 1950s...to service or not to service...advice welcome!

1. GoBlueCA Nov 8, 2020

Attaching a few macro shots of my gorgeous Gallet Mutlichron 12, which came into my life by chance this past year.

Some details I've collected:
    -Gallet Multichron 12, Jim Clark dates to 1950s
    -Black "glossy" dial with "pumpkin" orange markers
    -Radium lume, hands were replaced or re-lumed at some point in the watches history (confirmed w/ blacklight)
    -Unpolished case, stamped "H" for excelsior park 40 chronograph movement
    -I have the full set w/ box and original guarantee

So here's the rub. I love the chronograph, but I don't want a radium lume watch out of personal anxiety for radium exposure. I am hoping to sell the watch to fund part of another watch purchase (hopefully a 1675 or 5513). This example is probably a A-/B+ given the degree of speckling on the dial but is still collectable.

The watch's service history is unknown but the watch actually keeps good time (loses 10-20 seconds per day). I have a suspicion that it was serviced in the last 10-20 years given the minute hand, but no way to confirm (no markings on the caseback). The only issue is that the hour reset on the chronograph does not work. Minutes/seconds work fine and if you run the chronograph for 12 hours it will reset to 12, but it doesn't snap back with reset in the same way minutes/seconds do.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to service the watch. Seems like I might be able to sell it more easily if serviced, but I'll basically be putting $1000 or so into the watch with the hope of maybe finding a buyer later on. Interested in what folks here think I should do.

2. GoBlueCA Nov 8, 2020

unnamed.jpg
    McKinley, Radiumpassion and Thommas like this.
  3. Dan S Nov 8, 2020

No, don't service it if you are going to sell it. You won't get the money back, not even close.

4. GoBlueCA Nov 8, 2020

That's more or less what I thought, but wasn't sure what it would run me.

5. amcclell Nov 8, 2020

Ditto on Dan's advice. Service it if you are going to keep it and use it. Otherwise, you won't likely recoup what you put into it.

6. GoBlueCA Nov 8, 2020

Thanks all - appreciate the quick and thoughtful responses!

7. shishy www.hpmor.com Nov 8, 2020

Second all the advice you got... as a buyer, I'd rather deal with servicing it myself since I can give it to someone I trust.

wristpirate likes this.
  8. zwjk Nov 8, 2020

I would leave it up to the buyer. I know losing 10-20 seconds would not bother me, but I know it would bother some.

9. pdxleaf ... Nov 8, 2020

For what it's worth, my same watch didn't reset either before servicing and works beautifully after servicing. No guarantee it's the same issue but it is possible to just be gunked up.

You will need a good movement photo to prove it isn't rusty.

Good luck.

GoBlueCA likes this.
  10. GoBlueCA Nov 8, 2020

Good news is no rust in the movement. Or at least none I can detect...

unnamed.jpg

11. pdxleaf ... Nov 8, 2020

No rust. There's been some moisture but will clean up.

Here's mine before servicing if you want to compare

20201105_151406.jpg

12. GoBlueCA Nov 8, 2020

Thanks - very cool. Out of curiosity, what'd the service run you ($ / time)? Also, mind posting a picture of the dial? Just curious as there aren't as many radium examples around.

13. Dan S Nov 8, 2020

It's a 40-68, so I don't think it will have radium.

14. pdxleaf ... Nov 8, 2020

Pictures here, couple posts above yours:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/show-me-your-gallet.30929/page-5#post-1642629

Service was 595 usd. I have a local guy in Portland.

Try this guy if you are interested. They have done several for me at good prices and work:

Paul's watch repair 2601 marconi ave, Sacramento ca 95821

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 8, 2020

Sadly....This will never be a collector grade watch. I’d sell it as a parts watch or as a project for someone who has parts. I don’t think I’d spring for a service.

16. GoBlueCA Nov 8, 2020

What makes you say it's not collectible, the condition of the dial?

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 9, 2020

Yup. From my experience in this space, top dollar goes to pristine, especially this model. Now, is it unattractive?Hell No. It’s great wabi sabe. Your initial question was cost benefit. If you plan to keep it as a fun piece, get it done. If it’s a flip, sell as is. Were it mine, a movement service and the hour counter sub hand That’s it. Pretty sure I could get that done well under a grand. ( if the hour counter hand is there, disregard) then this is a 4-500 service at my watchmaker.

18. GoBlueCA Nov 9, 2020

The hand is there fortunately, so I agree it seems like a $500ish problem. Which is why I wonder, maybe it's worth it to get it done to help convert a transaction vs. waiting for the right buyer who wants a project. But agree with others that if you're seeking a project, you're going to want to bring it to your watchmaker. Anyway, thanks for the thoughts!

19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 9, 2020

The only way I’d buy a non working watch is if it was pristine, so a service would move it along. We don’t know what you have in it so you will need to do your own math.

20. GoBlueCA Nov 9, 2020

Totally - this one is running just fine and I have very little in it (insane estate sale find). More that I've had it listed in a few places and haven't been able to find a buyer so wondering what I can do to accelerate the process given my strong desired to purchase other watches :D