Forums Latest Members

Gallet Multichron 12 - assistance appreciated

1. jontrl Jun 18, 2019

Hi all,

Been intrigued by vintage Gallet models, in particular the dressier variants. One particular example caught my eye - but before committing, I was hoping to draw on the views of a more experienced eye.

Based on the pictures, this appears to be one of the earlier (and smaller) Gallet Multichron 12s:

1) Case: I'd estimate 35 - 36mm, based on my reading of Gallet World's records.
    2) Dial: Appears to be honest, age spots are reassuring.
    3) Pushers: Seems consistent with earlier models, before Gallet switched to round pushers.
    4) Inner caseback: Am in 2 minds about this. I'd thought that the "Gallet & Co" signature should be placed lower down, closer to the serial number.
    5) Movement: Might need a more trained eye for this.

Would appreciate any expertise, and thanks in advance.

s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg
    TexOmega and DaveK like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 18, 2019

EP 12 HR movement. Very cool. Overall nice watch. Need to see another shot of HR/M hands. H looks thicker ...

Mark020 and jontrl like this.
  3. Joe_A Jun 18, 2019

An early EP40 movement with fixed stud carrier and "normal weight" balance wheel.

This may be referred to as an early "snow white" model. Perhaps DragonDan will weigh in?

For reference, here is another found on Webstagram:

Snap2.jpg
    Alas, no photos of back or movement.

jontrl and Larry S like this.
  4. Gaz6263 Jun 18, 2019

I see it’s sold. Did you buy it?

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 18, 2019

If you did not, you should have ...my EP 40 68
    5DE67E75-F060-4133-B94E-824A9BC76ED7.jpeg

6. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Jun 18, 2019

Great looking piece. Did you get it ?

7. jontrl Jun 18, 2019

Thanks for the views! And thanks to @Joe_A too. Great hearing from the experts.

I too noticed the hands, which I thought were appealing but deserved a check nonetheless. Those checks turned up this Hodinkee's bring a loupe article (last entry): https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/bring-a-loupe-june-7-2019

That 'snow white' Gallet's eBay listing can still be found here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gallet-Mul...207837?hash=item1efbf5c8dd:g:y3gAAOSwFPpc-SxGPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

After closely comparing the two - I am pretty satisfied (the Hodinkee listing doesn't seem to have a serial number though)

8. jontrl Jun 18, 2019

Stunning. What a lovely dial for that vintage.

9. jontrl Jun 18, 2019

Woops, Larry S, Gaz6263 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jun 19, 2019

Wear in good health! Gallet did such beautiful design work.

jontrl likes this.
  11. Joe_A Jun 19, 2019

I own an "evil" snow white . . . a "coal black, perhaps? ;)

Gallet-MC12-Ts.jpg

One of these days I will find the right "snow white" to add to my collection. I'm holding out for a later one. ;)

The above watch houses an EP40-68 movement.

12. jontrl Jun 19, 2019

Very badass. Most that I've seen have hour and hand lumes that are mismatched - the colour tones on yours are identical :thumbsup:

Good luck on your 'snow white' search. Btw, what is that vintage racing strap you've fitted on?

Larry S and Joe_A like this.
  13. Joe_A Jun 19, 2019

Thank you for your comment and encouragement.

The lume match is pretty close, but the central hours and minutes hands are a bit lighter in color than the lume at the hour markers . . . which is pretty typical, but as you suggest, my watch in this regard is better than many. Under some lighting conditions, one may discern the difference:

Gallet-MC12-PJC-3.jpg

As we understand things, the dials and the hands were prepared separately often off premises and then some attempt was made to match them up when it came time to assemble. In some cases, the lume formulae were not the same.

The watch came with a NATO strap, but I replaced the strap with one purchased from a favorite supplier:

Eulix "Cavallo" from the Watchband Center Oranienburg

When I bought the strap, I had no way of knowing that the stitching detail would be a very light green in color and that it would nearly match the lume! The strap is vegetable tanned and is soft and comfortable and has a slight waxed look to it. I compliment my leather straps with deployants from RHD - Robert "BoB' Hollister Davis:

RHD Website

Cheers,

Joe

Edit: The watch is currently @ Gallet where it will receive a full service. As it's been there a while, I am hopeful that it will come home soon. ;)

jontrl likes this.
  14. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 19, 2019

Congrats. Gallet is so underrated!

Here's mine.

20190619_154341.jpg

20190619_154104.jpg
    TexOmega, MMMD, jontrl and 2 others like this.
  15. jontrl Jun 19, 2019

You're right. I learn something new everyday here.

Excellent - I was quite coincidentally looking for a deployant clasp rec - especially for the heavier watch heads. Since the Gallet comes without a strap, I'll be checking out that Eulux racer. It's now between that and a Hirsch.

Would you know how long (and how costly) a full Gallet factory service takes btw? I've heard they take a while... but the assurance might be worth it.

Joe_A likes this.
  16. jontrl Jun 19, 2019

Nice Clamshell, love the sector dial. I believe those were one of the earliest 3-reg waterproof chronos? Haven't seen any in that good condition.

17. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 19, 2019

Yep, that's what I believe (but with so many records lost over the years, that could be proved wrong). Have you come across others like this? I haven't yet...

jontrl likes this.
  18. jontrl Jun 20, 2019

I’ve seen a few online - but never in person. Try the other platforms (e.g. chrono 24) with the search terms “Gallet Clamshell”.

19. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 20, 2019

Yeah I have alerts everywhere, just never saw another 3 register one with that dial in a clamshell case. Will keep an eye out. Even at ~35mm they wear so well on the wrist.

20. jontrl Jun 20, 2019

I seem to have found a few after a quick search. I’ll message you privately.