Forums Latest Members

Gallet EP40-68 landed, chrono hand question.

1. abrahamovic Sep 18, 2018

Dear members,

I was looking for solid piece for quite a time. I got it yesterday and I I love it.
    The only problem I have is that chrono hand does not sweep perfectly, it has that not very smooth movement.
    (It would be better to upload video). It keeps precise time tracking, it just doesnt sweep perfectly - every three or four seconds it just stops and jumps. Dont know how to describe better.

Have you ever noticed such a thing on your Gallet?
    I have never hold other Gallet, so cant tell.

@Larry S
    Please, may I ask you too - I think you landed EP40 recently, any idea?

Thanks for opinion.

IMG_7235.JPG

Syrte likes this.
  2. Dan S Sep 18, 2018

When was the movement last serviced? The watchmakers will probably give a better explanation, and I hope this doesn't sound stupid to them, but I have experienced this symptom with old chronographs and the following is how I remember it being explained to me.

My understanding is that this symptom can be due to improper contact between two wheels and/or wear/damage to a wheel. Sometimes, in an old watch, these contacts may be purposely adjusted a bit "loose" to avoid stalling at the positions of the highest friction. So, if everything in the movement is in great shape, it should be fixable by an adjustment. On the other hand, the adjustment may cause the sweep hand to occasionally stall, and a compromise would be necessary, unless you want to start replacing parts.

abrahamovic likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 18, 2018

All of my Gallets have been serviced. No issues. You must find a competent watchmaker to address the issue. The movement needs a full overhaul. You may also send the watch to Gallet but prepare for a long lead with radio silence.

sdre and abrahamovic like this.
  4. abrahamovic Sep 18, 2018

@Dan S @Larry S thanks gentlemen.

I just got private message from Justin Vrakas (who is known for collecting Gallets, but you probably know him) as he saw my watch on instagram. At the same moment I asked him about the issue (as I hoped he might came across with that before) so I sent him a video. He says he saw it, chronograph depthing is probably the slightest hair too tight. He says he would just leave it alone. He said it is okay if this issue gets addressed with next service.

The watch has zero beat error, high amplitude and it keeps super accurate time. Like being 3 secs faster per day. Even the chronograph is working fine (except that funny irregular movement).

Adding some more photos.

5.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG 9.JPG

2.JPG
    Radiumpassion and Dan S like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 18, 2018

I have done business with Justin and have had a beer or two with him. He’s the expert!

abrahamovic likes this.
  6. Dan S Sep 18, 2018

I also wouldn't worry about it. Over the years, I've had a number of old chronographs that behaved this way, and I didn't let it bother me.

abrahamovic likes this.
  7. abrahamovic Sep 18, 2018

thanks for letting me know. I was just not sure if this behaviour is something that needs immediate care or can be addressed later.

(It is no secret I am newbie here. I havent had so many watches in my hands, so learning every day something new.
    With every watch I have basically. Btw, I would like to take part in 1 year watchmaking course, but there is quite a long waiting list, but maybe in a year or two. Meanwhile I have a lot of literature. And practival experience you all share is just great. Thanks again. I think we can close the subject with a satisfying agreement I can enjoy this watch fully.

8. Joe_A Oct 3, 2018

As mentioned in today's WRUW thread, before this thread appeared, I'd been on the hunt for a Gallet Multichron 12 for some time, but the various watches for sale that I found had been subject to a hard life and just weren't as appealing as your watch, Abrahamavic and then I found this watch on Ebay.

I like the light dial as much as I like the dark dial.

I hope you do not mind my sharing the thread with you rather than to start a new one?

I did do a little checking around the net before I decided to bid on this one.

Concerns?

Are the lugs a bit over-polished? Is the dial all original?

As far as I can determine, most of the screw-back Gallet watches have both beveled and chamfered lugs, but a number of them had bevels only and no chamfers, especially true of the compressor backed watches.. I'm sure the lugs have been polished, but I just don't care one way or the other.

The watch was too beautiful to pass up.

What about the lume? Is it original or redone? I decided I did not care at the time of purchase, but once I received the watch, I did a little thoroughly unscientific testing.

I used my 2005 IWC Mark XV pilot with tritium lume as a benchmark. Charging up the Mark XV with a high-intensity LED light for about 30 seconds and then taking the watch into the dark, it had usable lume for 14 minutes and it was still glowing though hard to read at 18 minutes.

I then charged up my 1965 Enicar Sherpa Graph for the same 30 seconds and brought it into the dark and I would say it had usable lume for about 1 minute and glowed perceptibly for about 2 or 3 minutes.

What about the Gallet?

Same test. The lume was usable for about 2+ to three minutes and there was a faint glow for another two or three minutes. To my mind, this would indicate that the minty lume we see on the watch is tritium . . . and it is quite old.

I'll put up a couple of additional photos a bit later. The sides of the watch are brushed steel and are unmolested as expected.

I do have an issue with the movement that will eventually require service. Suggestions welcomed.

The center seconds hand runs very smoothly.
    The jump seconds counter performs reliably as expected.
    The hours counter sometimes counts and sometimes does not count.

I am a little reluctant to send it out for service right away because I'd like to enjoy it for a bit and it keeps time quite well. It gains less than 2 seconds a day. In fact, it was only 4 seconds fast the first 96 hours I had the watch.

~ Joe

Gallet-MC12-PJC-2.jpg Gallet-MC12-PJC-3.jpg Gallet-MC12-PJC-4.jpg
  9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 3, 2018

Can you include a photo of the case back? How about a movement shot?

You've got one of the later versions of the Multichron 12 here (maybe 1968-70ish). and she appears to be in very good condition.

The pump pushers look original (at least what I can see of 'em) as well as the crown. In fact, the slight wear on the crown leads me to believe that someone wore this watch as a daily wearer (which I think is cool and adds intrinsic value).

Edited Oct 3, 2018
    Joe_A likes this.
  10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 3, 2018

Here's a treat for you...this is one of the first Multichron 12's ever produced. By serial number perhaps as early as first 10.

Also - this is what your movement will look like if you have a good (Gallet) watchmaker spend a little time on her...

Congrats (nice watch)

IMG_4849.JPG IMG_4850.JPG
    Edited Oct 3, 2018
    Joe_A likes this.
  11. Joe_A Oct 3, 2018

Did someone ask for photos?

Gallet-MC12-PJC-EP40-68-M.jpg Gallet-MC12-PJC-EP40-68-B-NoSN.jpg Gallet-MC12-PJC-7-Back.jpg Gallet-MC12-PJC-7-Back-H.jpg Gallet-MC12-PJC-Edges.jpg
  12. Joe_A Oct 3, 2018

This one shows a detail that is challenging to photograph unless sunlight (or in this case, artificial light) hits the subdials in just the right way

Gallet-MC12-PJC-Subdials.jpg
    citizenrich likes this.