Forums Latest Members
  1. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 28, 2017

Jwit and Kmart like this.
  2. watch3s Aug 28, 2017

ooo la la

Larry S likes this.
  3. Kmart Aug 28, 2017

Very cool. That BB red actually looks great on her wrist too.

Jwit and Larry S like this.
  4. oaclondon Aug 28, 2017

This is a very poor move from Tudor in my mind.. :(

5. Kmart Aug 28, 2017

How so?

6. oaclondon Aug 28, 2017

They should be sticking to their roots, Tudor seems to be deviating further and further. For me, they started to go wrong again with the LHD Pelagos and riveted bracelets on the new black bay. Time to dial it back 3 years and focus on well thought out tool watch designs and stop appealing too much to the supposed fashionable.. aren't lady gaga and David Beckham a bit past it anyway, and who exactly are they targeting, which demographic of current/potential/past customer are impressed by these celebrity endorsements..

Ssunnylee24 and SpeedieNovice like this.
  7. Jking something intelligent and witty... Aug 28, 2017

I'm not sure if it's a poor decision or not but it certainly in my mind clarifies where Rolex wants to go with Tudor. To me they have made the decision to use Tudor to apply to a younger demographic that are attuned to modern pop culture. Obviously they need to have some disposable income...just not Rolex level yet. I'm sure the thought is to introduce them into the world of luxury, mechanical watches and let the halo effect take over to have those that move further up in income eventually move "up brand" to Rolex. From a business standpoint it's not a bad move...from a WIS standpoint you hate to see a brand that has made great strides and started to carve its own identity in the watch community get the pop culture "Tag Heuer" treatment.

Jwit and oaclondon like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 28, 2017

20120530.200940_ladygaga.jpg
    May 23, 2012

I'll just leave this here...

9. Kmart Aug 28, 2017

To my eye their lineup hasn't really changed all that much. They're still doing the Black Bay, Pelagos, Heritage Chrono, Ranger, etc. And anyway the whole point of Tudor is to be the younger, cheaper, more adventurous outlet for Rolex. Some of the new designs are hit or miss for sure, but as long as they don't start dropping well loved pieces from their collection I don't really see a problem with it.

@Jking, to your point -- I think you're absolutely correct that Rolex wants to appeal to a younger audience with Tudor. Choosing Beckham and Gaga as their brand ambassadors has made that pretty obvious. However I don't agree that that necessarily takes them the way of TAG Heuer. TAG has the reputation they do now because they stopped manufacturing legendary pieces and just churned out uninspired garbage for years and years. I don't see that happening with Tudor (well, maybe the second part... but not the first bit yet).

Larry S, Jwit, Jking and 1 other person like this.
  10. Jking something intelligent and witty... Aug 28, 2017

I agree with everything you wrote....I actually struggled with using that term but I thought it was the best example of a Swiss brand using mainstream pop culture to market their product so I went ahead and used it. To us watch geeks we know what happened to Tag from the technical/build quality standpoint which is not to say that will happen with Tudor. But to a "lay person" the mass public thinks this is the order of high quality Swiss watches 1) Rolex 2) Tag Heuer. (At least in the US). Hell I'll admit 2 years ago that was where I was. As far as automatic Swiss watches it's all I see on a wrist here is a Rolex or a Tag. The power of marketing.

Larry S, Jwit and Kmart like this.
  11. Kmart Aug 28, 2017

Hard to argue with that. I mean most people don't even realize that mechanical watches still exist. In that sense it's hard to fault Tudor for what they're doing. They may lose some street cred with the hardcore WIS that want to keep their brand sacred or something, but honestly I think both sides of the brand can coexist. Again, as long as they don't completely abandon the WIS crowd while doing so.

Larry S, Jwit and Jking like this.
  12. Uniqez Aug 29, 2017

Tudor got David Beckham on board as well.

13. jfmiii Aug 29, 2017

Tudor is TAG Heuer'ing themselves. I have never really gotten the appeal of Tudor but to each their own.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 29, 2017

Tiffany & Co earlier on this year also :whistling:

image.jpeg

Larry S likes this.
  15. Rack_Attack Aug 29, 2017

I'm pretty much an anti-pop music kind of guy but Lady Gaga has musical talent that cannot be denied and she has a pretty great attitude about her life. I'm not a little monster and I don't like all her songs but I consider myself a fan.

I say good for her and good for Tudor.

jB1128, Archer, Jwit and 3 others like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 29, 2017

Agreed. Positive outlook and more talent then 5 other pop stars combined and I'm not a huge fan of her music, but no doubt she has massive talent. The girl paid her dues, wrote and performed some amazing stuff. She built a great image that is somehow down to earth and haute culture at the same time. She made herself not a label creation.

jB1128, Archer, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  17. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 29, 2017

I'm happy with the pairing. She fits the bill well and will be a solid ambassador.

On another note my cousin went to NYU with her and said she was the most annoying girl in every class.... I guess being annoying can get you places after all

Larry S and Uniqez like this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 30, 2017

Brilliant move by Tudor, and quite honestly I'm surprised that some other watch company hasn't already scooped her up as a brand ambassador before this. Like some others here not particularly a fan of her music, but she is certainly smart, talented, and a great businessperson. She has earned my respect certainly.

Although some may not understand this, you can be sure that Tudor does...

Jwit likes this.
  19. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 30, 2017

Hmm a college age male calling a girl "annoying". This requires more elaboration.

20. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Aug 30, 2017

We all had the same response, unfortunately no gossip. Just a statement of fact. He said she was the biggest self promoter he had ever met and they called her "annoying Stephanie" because of it.