Forums Latest Members

Future Value of Omega & Spectre Seamaster 300

1. srm11 Feb 24, 2016

Hello all,

I figured this would be the best place to ask - how well does an Omega watch hold its value on the secondary market?

I never buy a watch as an 'investment' - but I do think of my collection as a stockpile of cash if I ever needed it for something. I typically own Rolex (where i know I can usually get my value back regardless, or even slightly increase with inflation) or Breitling (where if I buy pre-owned for a good price it typically holds from there).

In your opinions, where does Omega fare in this aspect? Specifically, I was looking at the Spectre Seamaster 300, which is going for more than MSRP on the secondary market but I would assume it's just the initial hype/demand. I can get one for MSRP now and intend on keeping it, but wondering if this piece will drop significantly in a couple of years, or if I waited 6 months - 1 year will I be able to find one pre-owned for considerably less? I know 7007 pieces is far from a really 'limited edition' so there will always be lots for sale.

Appreciate your feedback from those that know Omega more than I..

2. Davidt Feb 24, 2016

Several threads have discussed this recently, with varying opinions.

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Feb 24, 2016

I suspect if someone were able to predict this with certainty they would have already made so much $ in the financial markets that they would be playing with high-end watches vs Omegas or Rolexes.

Traveler and Foo2rama like this.
  4. g-boac Feb 24, 2016

It's important to buy the watch you want today; not the watch you think someone else will want someday.

If you can get a Spectre at the price you want to pay today, and you want the watch, go for it and enjoy it!!

watchme, dave555, Nobel Prize and 3 others like this.
  5. demollo Feb 24, 2016

It is really impossible to tell. We can only guess. There were many LE watches that lost value with time and just the opposite many that increased in value. In my opinion the Spectre will lose value with time, but as mentioned it is just a wild guess :)

Nobel Prize and Traveler like this.
  6. uvalaw2005 Feb 24, 2016

Like folks have said, impossible to tell. My totally uneducated opinion is that the Spectre hype will fade and you'll be able to get one below MSRP, but the opposite is just as likely, so the question is really whether you want enough right now to pay the price they cost right now. Certainly a lovely watch.

7. srm11 Feb 24, 2016

I appreciate all your comments. It was more a question of personal opinions coupled with the 'typical' market value. I don't know Omega as much to say that the previous models sold for $5000 new but 2 years old they range from $3-3500.

I guess it is anyones guess. I'll probably roll the dice and pick it up now. I like it enough to buy now but I would like it better a year later at $1500-2000 less :whistling:

Pythonos41 likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 25, 2016

My guess that in the short term they will do better then most and better then the SM 300 it's based on.

It's a good looking watch, and argueable better then the 300. The gmt bezel is nice and better for many people then the dive bezel. The lollipop second hand is a great touch. I personally like the change to the watch face and the basically non existent Bond branding is a plus.

That being said I doubt it would be an investment piece and will trend down like most new watches for the foreseeable future.

9. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Feb 25, 2016

I think the watch is incredibly ugly and the movie was awful. Does this mean it won't be collectable? Who knows? It's all up to what somebody wants to pay for one, and as Omega will no doubt make all kinds of SE 300Ms (like they do with so many other watches) I think those that collect will have to have a Spectre to make their 300M collection complete. This will drive up the price, someday.