Forums Latest Members
  1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 2, 2016

i would really appreciate opinions on the trends in the polerouter marked? Have they increased a lot in price or are they still living a quiet life? I have fallen in love with the design and a nice one is up for auction but if they aren't increasing in price I might wait a bit.

As I see it, and I have only followed the model for a short time, there is further and further between really nice ones but the prices aren't that high. Still around $1000 for a nice one in SS. In my opinion they ought to sell for more.

2. ConElPueblo Oct 2, 2016

One of the two with the NOS straps..? ;)

3. Severin Oct 2, 2016

Future?! There is no future. They are indecently overpriced, mechanically feeble and visually repugnant little things - you will not regret staying far away from them. The only exceptions to this otherwise sound and conflict-of-interest-free assessment are the cloisonne, Coq de France models. I would recommend pursuit of those models with extreme prejudice. I am sure others will agree.

[​IMG]

(Edit: replaced gif of shifty-eyed dog with non-moving pic of shifty eyed dog - the animation was making my head spin)

Edited Oct 2, 2016
    Larry S, aap, Diabolik and 4 others like this.
  4. Jonatan Oct 2, 2016

I agree with Severin, but I would extend that to most Universal Geneves. You can find much nicer Omegas, Longines, etc.

With of course the exception of the ones for sale on this forum. Seriously if anyone is looking for a really nice exemple, yes I realize that this is counter productive for myself, have a look at the one @Drechristian is selling. Very nice piece.

Honestly, I think they have been steadily increasing in price for the last few years. They are very nice pieces but from experience you need to find a good watchmaker to service them.

And do you research, redials and Frankens abound.

Edited Oct 2, 2016
    aap likes this.
  5. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Oct 2, 2016

In my opinion their future is looking up for the Polerouter has lodged itself on my "want" list.

6. Jonatan Oct 2, 2016

7. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 2, 2016

8. gop76 Oct 2, 2016

I think that's wrong directly compare the prices of three different models, with different calibers (215/218/138), different features (date/no date), different cases (ss/gold capped), different dials...

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Oct 2, 2016

I understand that but, in my opinion, it's a bit overpriced. I'm apparently not the only one or it would have been gone long ago.

10. gop76 Oct 2, 2016

I'll not compare watches or prices but maybe someone is not looking to the right place. The one you're talking about has the logo in the caseback in very good condition and clearly visible wich is not often seen. This quality must worth something, don't you think?

11. Jonatan Oct 3, 2016

I have had three proposed to me in much worst condition for the same price.
    I might not be looking at the right places but finding one with such a crisp logo is not easy. To me that brings a premium.

gop76 likes this.
  12. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 3, 2016

Don't know what u are talking about Mr. :D The one I was considering is gold/steel. I am sure u have seen it since we most likely trawl the same waters :) But I wouldn't mind being pointed towards the ones you are talking about. I am a little in doubt with regard to the quality though based on the comments here. My thoughs about them being undervalued was purely based on price surges on other UG pieces and the fact that the polerouter has a unique design and a good history. I also have thought about Drechristians piece, which looks nice.

13. Dre Oct 3, 2016

Gratitude for the kind words Jonathan!

Assuming your reasonable price for Polerouter is around $500-600? Please direct me to one of those Polerouters around that price range in the same or better condition, and I'll gladly purchase it myself, I'd be happy if I can own one for that price.

The watch was sent back to my watchmaker for revision, took 4 weeks to get it back because my watchmaker was working on 4 of my other watches.

Larry S, Jonatan and aap like this.
  14. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Oct 3, 2016

I believe the question - "the polerouter marked"(t?) - is too wide. Is the expression - "how long is a rope" international? I would like to know which model you are referring to - to be able to say anything.

15. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 3, 2016

I get what you mean and apologize for being inaccurate. The ones I have fallen for are the "classic" one with microter from the mid-50's to start/mid 60's (?)

16. rolokr Oct 4, 2016

Vintage watches are not really for investment. Chronographs are where It's at !

17. Jonatan Oct 4, 2016

Let's keep it that way.

18. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Oct 4, 2016

Not really an investment if I were to buy one since I have a habit of keeping the watches I buy. But if people believe prices were to be 2x in a year (which they don't it seem), I might as get one soon.

19. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Oct 4, 2016

I guess the market for the "classic" one is very different as in where you are and where you find them. International auction sites and ebay tend to overvalue (edit - you might overpay there) them in my perspective. On the other hand local "real" auction houses very often have no clue. Universal Geneve is not a commonly known brand - not by the public and not by the local auctions. Omega/Rolex/etc. is. That means Polerouters still fly under the radar a lot. I have bought my classic ones very cheap where I live. The prices have gone up the last years but you can still find decent watches in the 550 to 700 USD range locally (Scandinavia).

edit - as in "overvalue them" - I mean they rightfully belong in the Constellation/Conquest/Zenith chronometre price range but locally they have not reached there yet. If you want one at local prices - get it now. Things are changing and this site is one of the reasons.