Forums Latest Members
  1. Mothra Sep 7, 2014

For all the family.... There was a Heathrow watch fair today - I wanted to go, but had not seen my family for 24 hours. We solved the problem neatly - Mrs mothra and seven year old mini mothra were given a treasure hunt where they had ten pounds each and while I window shopped they went off to spend their funds on whatever they thought would return the most profit. I offered to serve as their expert (of course, they didn't ask) and the only advice I gave them was to buy something in working condition and avoid kids and ladies watches....

They were both excited and competitive instincts kicked in. I got plenty of time to do a targeted browse (and say hi to Gaz who had some good stuff on his stand). Forty minutes later, this is what the brought back:

Mrs mothra:

WP_20140907_16_49_28_Pro.jpg

Mini Mothra:

WP_20140907_16_51_29_Pro.jpg

In summary, five watches, all quartz and all non working, three of which were definitely ladies/kids. Oh, and a car. Well, he's seven. Clearly quantity is all important to non WIS.

So far, a deeper inspection has revealed for Mrs Mothra:

A Disney branded novelty kids watch - I didn't have a spare battery and have ordered one, but clear signs of leakage so not hopeful.

A Fossil Arkitekt in surprisingly (possibly unworn) good condition. Popped a new battery in and it runs. Quick inspection of ebay suggests a no reserve auction might fetch £12 - a huge return!!!

For Mini Mothra:

Unbranded Tag style Chrono - despite being plastered with 'titanium' it is very much not a precious metal case/bracelet. Chrono buttons and hands look surprisingly non functional, and the screwback look caseback is actually clip off. Oh, and despite having 'Ecodrive' on the caseback, it isn't that either. Movement shows signs of leakage and a new battery does nothing. Mini Mothra wants to keep and wear it anyway.

Rivoli watch - looks cheap and nasty but ok, not unattractive, I don't have a spare battery so have put one on order.

Blue dial/gold bezel watch - the cheapest and nastiest watch and bracelet I have ever seen. Popped a battery in and it ran, but I've told Dom I can't in good conscience put it on ebay in case someone buys it.

Car: Mercedes SSK, slightly broken wheel otherwise in good order.

At the moment I've suggested Mrs Mothra is in the lead, but it may come down to the two watches awaiting batteries. They had huge fun and want to do it again (hopefully more successfully) and I enjoyed sharing part of my hobby with them. Thought I would share with the forum in case others can take advantage.

On an unrelated note, is anyone desperate to buy some cheap and probably mostly non functional watches? And a model car? :)

kyle L, Spacefruit, Darlinboy and 3 others like this.
  2. Hijak Sep 7, 2014

I'll have to try this with my family.:thumbsup:

3. JohnSteed Sep 7, 2014

Nicely done! :thumbsup:

4. Dablitzer Sep 7, 2014

Damn! It was your clan who snagged the Pooh Bear! Doh!! :D :p

5. Mothra Sep 7, 2014

Alex, top quality merchandise and no mistake.... Sorry I missed you today!

Dablitzer likes this.
  6. Dablitzer Sep 7, 2014

Indeed! That was the Bees knees! ::facepalm2::