Forums Latest Members

SOLD full set 1977 Rolex Datejust 1601 in 18k YG w/ factory diamond dial

1. Ramone Dec 12, 2017

Hey guys,

For sale here is a pretty special Rolex Datejust reference 1601 (36mm) in 18k yellow gold.

The watch comes with box and papers (please look up what an original 1977/1978 calendar card costs these days :)) and was sold in Spain in September 1977, according to the original Rolex guarantee papers. The (still sharp and clearly defined) serial number indicates early 1977 production.

Obviously, apart from the nice case, bezel and bracelet, the real eye-catcher here is the factory original diamond dial. It is flawless and just stunning in person, with the slightest pinkish hue. The tritium on the dial and hands remains intact and has developed an attractive, matching patina throughout. Pretty rare, especially in this condition.

Included is the original 18k jubilee bracelet with period correct 'A' clasp code. The bracelet is tight for its age (please see photos, which show full 'stretch') and has no significant wear or damage. With 21 original links excluding endlinks, it's also at more than full length. Probably a special order at the time, to accommodate a larger wrist size. Clasp is also in great condition and works as it should. The jubilee matches the case in overall patina, further indicating that this watch was most likely originally sold on this particular bracelet.

The case itself is in excellent vintage condition with thick, even lugs and a sharp bezel. All the proper hallmarks and numbers are clearly present and readable. Caseback is original and stamped 1601 and 18k inside. Still present are the original 18k Rolex springbars, as well as the original date disc with 'open 6 and 9'.

Overall, this is a very nice, original set that you won't come across every day. There's a slight and even 'rosy' patina present on the whole watch and bracelet, making for an even better wrist presence in combination with the unique dial. The movement (hacking cal. 1570, which is correct) winds and runs fine, but I don't know of any recent service history.

I'm not a regular poster on OF, but I do know several people here and can provide references. I have literally dozens of international e-mail references from other boards, Instagram, etc.; just ask.

I'm asking for 8.600 euro (by bankwire) for this unique set. Local pick-up also welcome. The watch is located in the Netherlands, EU. Please return for a full refund within 3 days if not original or not as described/pictured. Thanks for the space!

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg 16.jpg 17.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg 20.jpg 21.jpg 22.jpg 23.jpg

Edited Jan 2, 2018
    Pun, quito, jordn and 11 others like this.
  2. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Dec 13, 2017

I know R personally. Good guy. My go to guy when I need advice on a Rolex. :thumbsup:

3. trackpad Dec 13, 2017

18K springbars!? ;-)

Cool piece!

4. Ramone Dec 15, 2017

Thanks. Yes, I always consider it a bonus when one of these still appears to have its original golden springbars. Especially when worn very often (which has apparently not been the case with this example), steel springbars will do a number on the softer, 18k case over time.

To my knowledge, no one makes aftermarket golden springbars, but original ones can be sourced from various places. You can even buy them brand new at AD's (I've done so myself), but be sure to ask around as prices appear to vary :)

Edited Dec 15, 2017
    trackpad likes this.
  5. Brench Dec 15, 2017

beautiful piece!

Ramone likes this.
  6. trackpad Dec 17, 2017

Honestly, I thought you had made a typo, or innocently misidentified the material. I just assumed 18K spring bars would be too soft for the job.

But it makes sense that steel would do a number on the lugs. Live and learn!

Such a stylish piece.

7. Ramone Dec 20, 2017

Up. Not really open for trades on this, except (possibly) vintage Rolex - and I'm very picky ;)

8. Ramone Dec 25, 2017

Merry Christmas, keep the offers coming :)

9. chows99 Dec 25, 2017

This is NICE! For someone who is always into Sports models, I am contemplating this!

Ramone likes this.
  10. Ramone Jan 2, 2018

Happy New Year! Let's get this sold - price lowered to 8.600 euro.

11. albertob Jan 2, 2018

Lovely

12. Ramone Jan 7, 2018

8.500 euro :)

13. Ramone Jan 11, 2018

Plenty of interest, but no deal yet. Keep 'em coming ;)

14. Ramone Jan 17, 2018

This one is sold; thanks for the space, offers and inquiries :)

15. trackpad Jan 17, 2018

Sincere congratulations, someone. What a gem.