Forums Latest Members

SOLD FS: Omega Megaquartz Stardust, near NOS, famous rally driver past, Serviced with box

1. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 4, 2014

Afternoon all

In my first sales post under the new improved and safer for all system I wanted to offer up something very special

Everyone on the forum who knows me knows that my passion is Omega watches and more over I have a real thing about the Megaquartz 2400 series of watches. For me these are amongst the most special watches ever made! I won't go in to the details (but anyone who want to know PM me) but in short for those not in the know they are the most accurate Omega ever made and amongst the most accurate watches ever made, accurate to 1 second per month and made way back when in the early 1970's!

This watch is a calbire 1510, realised in circa 1973/4, the watch came in a very similar case to the famous Marine Chronometer but without the plaque and 14K bezel, available in Stainless Steel or 18 carat gold and with basically the same movement!

The Calibre 1510 was most famously produced with an aventurine crystal dial, nicknamed the ‘Stardust’. The watch came in a number of variations of dials: stardust (silver and gold), waffle dial in black, blue and brown and electric blue dial.

The total production run of calibre 1510 was also 1000 units, around 800 of which were produced in stainless steel with a variety of dials and 200 were produced in solid 18 carat gold (weighing over 200 grams) with either stardust or electric blue dials.

The original list price in 1974 for a calibre 1510 was £604 in stainless steel and £3275 in 18 carat gold, by contract the Moonwatch was £134!

Anyway, to cut to the chase, a while back a friend in in Aus (who is more famous for writing books on Omega divers) gave me a heads up on a watch that had just come to market, I contacted the seller and took a leap of faith, which was well and truly repaid, however I have now been offered one of only two Omega prototypes I know of so I need to raise some funds to pay for and with that in mind this special beast needs to go to a new home.

The watch is basically as close to new as is possible, completely crack free dial (I only know of about 1/2 dozen others with crack free dials) and the case has only the lightest of wear marks, its had a new battery and service at Swiss Tec and in the time I have owned it it never deviates more than 1 second per month, it is perfect:

DSCF3262.jpg DSCF3264.jpg DSCF3265.jpg
    But what makes the watch really special is this:

DSCF3266.jpg

The first and only other owner of the watches is "Kikki" Kivimaki who famous raced Lancia 037's in the 1980's with Markku Alen, this very watch is inscribed and was presented to him for winning the 1000 lakes Finish rally in 1976 in a Fiat 131 Abarth, the watch came with the original Alligator band signed by Kikki, the back is inscribed 'overall winner' and the finish rally details, just waiting for the extract to return!

ScreenShot2014-08-04at145227.png ScreenShot2014-08-04at145249.png

So all in a pretty rare watch to start out with but with this amazing history it becomes something really quite unique! The movement has just been serviced by Swiss Tec (STS's sister company) and is keeping time to 0.03SPD or better than 1 second per month! Pretty cool and what a history!! Servicing these won't leave you much change from £1000 now but the new owner will have complete peace of mind knowing the beauty is ready to go and will not require work for years to come!

The watch will be supplied with box and tags and also the original alligator band signed by Kikki himself

I am looking for £2650 shipped, this is a one off chance to own firstly one of the best and most original stardusts in the world and secondly an absolutely unique piece of motor racing history

NOW SOLD

Paypment via BT or PP gift/ you cover fees (BT preferred) and shippping via RMSD or Internaitonal Signed for

Cheers Tom

Edited Dec 10, 2014
  2. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 7, 2014

A gentle bump for this remarkable piece

3. sumerian Gold Constellation Magpie Dec 7, 2014

WOW you are a NOS Master... I wonder how you get these...

Anyhow best of luck with the sales.

I bought a watch from Tom before... he is a god seller :thumbsup:

4. Tom Dick and Harry Dec 10, 2014

Watch now SOLD, thanks all