Forums Latest Members

SOLD! Nice, Genuine, Vintage Mido MULTI-CENTERCHRONO

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 11, 2017

While the demand for vintage chronograph watches has risen dramatically in recent years, the Mido Multi-Centerchrono has arguably remained undervalued, and especially considering its innovative design, and outstanding quality. At the same time, however, the supply of really good examples on the market has been declining steadily, and better examples are becoming difficult to find.

Not only was the Multi-center, as the name implies, the first chronograph to be cleverly designed with all of the hands sharing a central pinion, but the quality of the movement, case, pushers, and dials, rivaled many of the very best of those produced during the mid-20th Century by other Swiss manufacturers.

The iconic, decagonal screw-back cases were based on a Francois Borgel/Taubert & Fils design, and included a successful cork seal for the crown stem as protection from water. These superb cases were also used by, among others, Patek Philippe. Mido also employed dust covers as an added layer of protection for the movements in the Multi-Centerchronos.

The distinctive, high-class, non-slip pushers, were also used by both Mido and Patek Philippe, and further set these watches apart from the crowd.

The Multicenterchrono were powered by a 17 jewel Valjoux-based movement which Mido modified and assigned cal. 1300. They are excellent movements, and the same VZ base was used by other high-class manufacturers, as well.

The beauty of the Multi-center design is that the dial is easier to read than the much more common sub-dial chronographs. The chronograph scales are set towards the outside of the dial, and the sweep stop-second and minute hands are therefore easy to read. Unlike the more common chronograph set-up, there is no dedicated second hand, so when the chronograph function is stopped, only the hour and minute hands will rotate. However, using the chronograph function allows the stop-second hand to be used continually as a normal second hand, and also confers the advantage of easy and fine calibration (much like a hacking function).

This particular example is attractive, and in very good condition throughout. It is an early example, dating to the mid-1940s. The original dial and hand set are very pleasing, and the dial has turned off-white/ivory colored over time. The correct "SWITZERLAND" signature does appear at the bottom of the dial, but can only be seen at an angle.

The unpolished steel case measures 34mm, but has real substance, and wears a bit larger as a result. Under magnification, some nicks and light scratches can be seen, but they are, in my opinion, mostly trivial. The most notable is a tiny gouge on a very narrow edge of the screw-back case, and it can be seen clearly in the third photo below, above the spring-bar hole.

The cal. 1300 movement has just been serviced, and is functioning properly. Note that it is marked as having originally been adjusted three times at the factory! The strap is new, though generic leather.

I sold another example that was in slightly better condition on eBay last year, and it brought over $4700. For this one, which I am offering to my favorite forum members first, I ask $3750, and will include EMS shipping that price.

Please note that the watch is located in Lisbon, Portugal, which means that EU-based buyers will pay no additional customs duties.

I am well known on this, and many other forums, and would be happy to answer any questions, so feel free to ask.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Jul 14, 2017
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 11, 2017

34.5MM case?

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 11, 2017

Yes, that is technically accurate.

4. Rman Jul 11, 2017

Gorgeous Tony.
    GLWS

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 12, 2017

Still available!

I've received a couple of offers, but no deal yet...

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 12, 2017

Wow. :thumbsup:
    Love that chunky look, crown and pushers, and capuccino color.

7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 12, 2017

How bout a wrist shot or three? IMO this watch is well priced.

8. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 12, 2017

@Syrte, @Rman thank you!

@Larry S – you too! Perhaps I will try to take a shot or two tomorrow, though, given my small wrist, they could be a bit misleading in terms of size.

9. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jul 12, 2017

Nice watch Tony. Best of luck with the sale!

10. Jonatan Jul 13, 2017

Beautiful watch from a respected and very knowledgeable forum member. Best of luck Tony!

11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 14, 2017

OHPF!

tmw57 and Vitezi like this.
  12. Vitezi Jul 14, 2017

13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 18, 2017

Sold! Thanks to CP in France, the kind commenters above, and the OF!

14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 18, 2017

Were I not "digesting" my last SS Tri Compax purchase I'd have been all over this. Lovely watch. Congrats!