Forums Latest Members

FS: $299 Longines Grand Prize Automatic Date@6 LOWERED PRICE

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jul 24, 2015

NEW LOWER PRICE
    I have decided to sell my Longines Grand Prize. It is housed in a stainless steel case with a diameter of a little over 34mm, a very usable size. If it ever was polished, the case still retains it's sharp edges. The circular pattern is still clear on the back. This is a front loading/crystal lift/break-away stem case.

Original dial has a very cool sunburst pattern finish emanating upward from the date window. The date at 6 is very uncommon for this model. The crown has the Longines logo.

The movement is a 17J Grand Prize automatic, caliber 341. Those familiar with the award-winning movement will appreciate the presence of the paint on the rotor. The watch is running and keeping time.

The case is 85%, sharp edges with no dings or nicks, and has some faint scratches. The dial is 95%, faint patina but no scratches or spots. The movement appears clean, no signs of corrosion. It "tracks" well on the rotor, with no scraping sounds. Just the distinct winding/buzzing sound a healthy example of these caliber movements should make.

The watch includes a generic after-market strap worn a dozen times (plenty of life left in it). It is a thin (not padded or stitched) genuine crocodile band in a faded black or dark grey color. It compliments the vintage Longines nicely.

An inquiry to Longines produced the following:

"We thank you for contacting us and for your interest in Longines watches.
    Further to your request, we are pleased to provide the information contained in Longines' handwritten registers.

"Originally, the serial number 12'184'261 identifies a Longines mechanical self-winding movement, caliber 341. It was invoiced on 2 November 1967 to the company Longines-Wittnauer Watch, which was at that time our agent for the USA.

"The other parts of the watch were produced locally under license from Longines. Unfortunately, since the relevant archives are not in our possession, we are unable to provide any further information on your model."

Now for the concerns/disclosures:

Service history is unknown. It is running about 30 seconds slow per day, so a service may be in order.

The caliber is a 341, but the case says 343/353 (same size). Unknown if this is the original configuration.

Two bridges on the movement are signed with the caliber and
    jewel count (only one bridge has the serial number). This is unusual, meaning probably wrong. It seems one of the two bridges is from the same caliber movement, but from a different Longines (possibly manufactured at a different time)? Not sure what to make of this, but neither a Longines collector nor I have seen this before.

I have priced this scarce example accounting for the concerns noted.

$299 USD by PayPal or bank wire, no checks or money orders please. Price includes PayPal fees and insured shipping via USPS Priority Mail to an address in the United States. Additional cost for international shipping (subject to destination) and payment by wire only for international transactions. I am not interested in any trades. References found under the same user name "Time Exposure" on TZ/WUS/TRF/OF, and "timeexposure" on the big auction site. Any questions or need for different pictures, I am best reached at: metersfirst @ gmail . com (without the spaces), or you can send a PM.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edited Aug 4, 2015
    dougiedude and JohnSteed like this.
  2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 4, 2015

Lowered price.