Forums Latest Members

From the dark - well maybe a little two tone - days of quartz

1. Carlton-Browne Aug 27, 2013

This diver is probably not from the most loved era of Universal Genève but I’ve been aware of it for at least a couple of years as a result of this short article on Ablogtowatch and have always wanted one.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rare-universal-geneve-super-diver-watch-from-when-quartz-was-cool/

Apart from the article above (mine is only four digits away from the serial number on theirs) I haven’t seen any other picture of this model online. There is a Bucherer chrono that appears to have exactly the same bezel and curiously enough both this UG and one example of the Bucherer on Ebay hark from Texas (mine has had one not-so-careful previous owner, a commercial pilot, who bought it new). I’m pretty sure it comes from the dark days of the quartz crisis, not only because of the movement; I think the gold highlights on the bezel and dial indices also speak volumes. The joke (on me) is that anybody from a distance would probably think it a TAG and if it said that on the dial I would be the first to run a mile. Just goes to show that there’s no rational basis to this game.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It’s rather tatty with some significant damage to the lugs, a loose bezel missing its’ ratchet spring and a crystal that looks like it’s been over the assault course at Pirbright more than once. I was hoping that West Repairs might be able to source a replacement bracelet (they could get one for the even more obscure Unisonic that I sold to Gary recently) but that drew a blank. I occasionally pick up loose UG buckles and clasps from Ebay, if the price is right, so maybe one day I’ll be lucky and get an OEM band. I’ve tried a number of different strap options and I’m afraid that the two tone colour scheme, to my taste at least, does not embrace a third shade or hue so NATOs are out, as areTimefactors canvas and everything else I’ve tried. In the meantime I picked up a generic oyster last week and I think this is the future – the endpieces are bloody tight but given the entire thing is a Rolex Sub homage anyway it’s good to see that UG seem to have gotten pretty close on the dimensions. This will hopefully help with replacement crystal options.

I intend to live with the thing for a couple of months before I embark on any project. Having said this I can hear the call of a certain watchmaker’s lapping machine. At the moment the to-do list looks a little like a new crystal and a case and bezel refinish – this may involve a bit of spot welding as a couple of the dings on the lugs are not insignificant. One of the gold bezel inserts has also had a significant whack but I’m not sure what can be done about that.

citizenrich likes this.
  2. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 27, 2013

Strap option could be a black tropical or even a stainless tropic.

UG is tricky because the company fell in and out of rough times and during those rough patches they licensed their trademarks to third parties usually of the get-rich-quick fashion watch variety. Your watch definitely has some Subie homage stuff going on like the gold ringed nipples and the mercedes hands.

even the angle curve of the lugs seem subby. I bet the degree rake is almost exact.

Regardless - it's a cool watch. I just saw a beat up 80's compax go for close to 900 usd yesterday. Someone is trying to sell a UG super compressor for 5g's on ebay right now.

UG is hot. :)

This is what I was thinking:

image.jpg
    Carlton-Browne likes this.