Forums Latest Members

Friggen Lucky = Nearly lost my Speedmaster

1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 24, 2018

Was taking a watch pic and noticed the strap looked funny at the lugs.

Gave it a slight tug :eek:

Had just been climbing over a large vessel in a remote port in Northern Australia. (Wyndham)

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Pazzo, marco, kkt and 28 others like this.
  2. gemstar Oct 24, 2018

Someone was watching over you. Fantastic that you were able to avoid an accident.

STANDY likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 24, 2018

I was well aware if I had lost a speedmaster in the drink at Wyndham @cicindela would have changed my name to Capt Hook ( due to crocodiles in the water )

4. Huus Oct 24, 2018

Friggen lucky alright. The tides over there would have carried it god knows where.
    To much sweating in that WA climate.
    During warmer months I usually have a rubber strap for daily wear, may switch to leather after work.

5. Dan S Oct 24, 2018

Vintage strap?

murph likes this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 25, 2018

Another argument for watch pics daily... great move.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 25, 2018

Another argument for using NATO straps in the tropics. Wearable/washable/secure.

Just make sure you use high quality spring bars and soak them in Lanotec before fitting.

EauTerre, marco, Hitman and 6 others like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 25, 2018

Nope, just worn well for 6 months

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 25, 2018

So you bought a Tatts ticket?....................... I would've.

10. Dash1 Oct 25, 2018

Wyndham, that rang a bell, now I remember I went there about 20 years ago. Can’t remember anything about it other than the great view from the lookout above the river.
    Glad you saved your Speedie, we should all have a look at our straps and spring pins right now!

STANDY likes this.
  11. philh Oct 25, 2018

You went here and could have lost your watch. I am not sure what was worse !

Wyndham, Western Australia's most northerly town, sits on the edge of the Cambridge Gulf surrounded by uninviting salt lakes, desert and mudflats which stretch to the horizon. It is actually two towns. There is old Wyndham (known as Wyndham Port) which lies under that part of the Erskine Range known as 'The Bastion' and, a few kilometres up the Gulf on the road to Kununurra is Wyndham Three Mile which is sometimes known as Wyndham East.
    Few travel writers have been kind to Wyndham. In 1951 in The Outside Track George Farwell described the town as "a lonely pin-point of settlement upon a vast and empty landscape of tidal estuaries, mangroves, unpeopled valley floors and barren, tree-less ranges" and in 1953 Leslie Rees described the town as having "empty 44-gallon drums, beer bottles, old tins, bits of sheet iron, termite-eaten wood. A background of salt marshes and harsh, desolate hills under the torrid sun". Remarkably, in the intervening seventy years it has changed little. It is a port and it leads nowhere. It is a strange place which suffers from tropical ennui being oppressively hot and unforgiving during the summer wet season.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 25, 2018

Hasn't changed much @philh ;)
    ( 44 Celsius and 80-90% humidity thrown in )
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ebuster likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 25, 2018

Most of the mines don't allow NATOs or bracelets anymore. ( most of the ports are mines up here like Gove and Groote Eylandt )

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 25, 2018

15. philh Oct 25, 2018

Even by Aussie standards that is one "hardcore" town. I bet Saturday night gets a bit lively ! What do the locals do in their downtime ?

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 25, 2018

The breaking point rule @JimInOz

No rings unless silicon
    image.jpeg

17. Vitezi Oct 25, 2018

For those of us who are clueless:
    upload_2018-10-25_7-34-12.png

EauTerre, KingCrouchy, Syrte and 2 others like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 25, 2018

Drink and fight......... Not much else.

If you ever get a chance watch a movie called "Mad Bastards" that was filmed in Wyndham

19. makaria indica Oct 25, 2018

Never knew...... about the no rings, watches etc.

Only time my watch ( and wedding ring)comes off is if Im tracing large pelargics.

I just washed my Nato in the washing machine with a load of clothes after a year of wearing it every day.... still has Jarrah dust impregnated in it after some furniture building, but it looks better than it did pre wash :)

Im just below Wyndham @ Broome

STANDY likes this.
  20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 25, 2018

Gotcha!

Early on in my military sojourn, we were treated to heaps of safety movies. Everything from the perils of VD, through to horrific car crash movies from the Ohio State Highway Patrol, and on to very descriptive surgical (colour) movies of injuries caused by removing rims from fully inflated aircraft tyres to degloved writs and fingers.

After that I took off my Dad's signet ring and put it in my drawer. And later had to explain to my wife (ex now) why I wouldn't wear our wedding ring.

Maybe you should go back to the old Spiedel flexi bands :D.