Forums Latest Members

French Market Cal 133.8 in Rose Gold

1. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 16, 2014

Found un ami for the Fab. Suisse cal 133 posted here:

http://omegaforums.net/index.php?threads/Zenith-Cal-133-Bumper-with-Extra-Swiss.6339/

This bumper is also 35mm in diameter, but cased in 18k rose gold. It has made a few appearances in the WRUW thread, but you haven't seen the box, papers or innards yet. The serial number dates the production of the movement to 1955. The watch was sold in France on 13 July 1959... just in time for La Fête Nationale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

x3no, Privateday7, jef33 and 5 others like this.
  2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

that's an absolutely brilliant find. I know people take points off for non-Swiss cases, but honesetly, I don't see why with French cases.

3. jef33 Mar 16, 2014

Excellent le set :)

MMMD likes this.
  4. Dablitzer Mar 16, 2014

Magnifico! I am in awe of the rose case, pearl seconds and stunning diamond/coffin markers... Droolworthy! :thumbsup: Ps. The fact it's a French case, imo, enhances it's appeal

Privateday7 and MMMD like this.
  5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

pepe-lepew-hopping-gif-imgur-8nUS.gif

MMMD likes this.
  6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 16, 2014

I feel the same. Look, Zenith had a factory and a big business presence in France... to me these watches are 100% Zenith with a French flavor. Plus there's that cool eagle head on the back. :)

Dablitzer likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 16, 2014

Honestly, who cares who made the case, its all part of the original watch and its beautiful!

Some guys have all the luck!

a question though.... what is the little spring on the back of the movement, the flat strip with the open ring at the end which curves up so it will contact the back???? Ground strap? Ejector mechanism? General Motors anti-rattle spring (GM calls that a mucket!) ?????

8. Dablitzer Mar 16, 2014

It's definately the eagle head, the eagles head is just cool! :p:thumbsup:

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 16, 2014

I think that doohickey is there to put some tension between the case back and movement and to keep things from moving around inside. Yes, the anti-rattle spring/mucket! Either that or it's a forward-thinking battery contact. ;)

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Interestingly, this is not a Besancon watch, else the "Fab. Suisse" wouldn't be there. Only the case comes from France.

11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 16, 2014

Yeah, I wonder where they were assembled. I haven't yet figured out who the case maker is; the case maker's mark on the inside of the case back includes the letters A and F.

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Certainly beats some Swiss miss in profile or a squirrel (although squirrels carry a lot of weight around here:cautious:). Strange women lyin' in watchcases is no basis for a system of hallmarks.

still Besancon, I'll bet, with movements trucked in from just across the border in Le Locle. They are listed as a Zenith location on the guarantee paper.

Sure it's not P G F like below? Let's have a pic.

[​IMG]

13. CdnWatchDoc Mar 16, 2014

C'est Magnifique!
    Great pickup!!

MMMD likes this.
  14. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Mar 17, 2014