Forums Latest Members
  1. jimmyjay Sep 20, 2018

Has anyone shipped a watch through a freight forwarder?

I just sold an inexpensive watch through eBay. The listing was restricted to U.S. only. The shipping address is to a freight forwarder in Southern California and references Hanoi.

Are there any potential issues here I should be aware of?

Many thanks.

2. rcs914 Sep 20, 2018

I can't speak to watches, but I've sold two items on ebay for over $1K that went overseas via this method. One was a very rare enamel decorated Dunhill sterling silver lighter and the other was a McIntosh MC-30 tube amplifier. The outcomes were fine - both paid, and I was never hit with a "Significantly not as described" or anything like that. Basically perfect transactions, but at the time they happened I was much less than pleased with both, since I knew trying to get any recompense would be almost impossible if the transaction went south.

3. boogedyboo Sep 20, 2018

I have used freight forwarding services as a buyer but not a seller because I am not based in the US.

The only issue I can think of is if there is some change or damage to the item caused by the freight forwarder which would be disputed between you and the buyer.

However, I have never had issues in the past.

4. omegastar Sep 21, 2018

If the buyer uses a freight forwarder he loses his rights for complaining on eBay.

5. asrnj77 Sep 21, 2018

eBay has their own global shipping option (which is a box you check when you list). In this case when the watch (or anything is sold) you ship it to eBay in Kentucky and they handle the transportation and related issues for overseas buyers. You only pay for Kentucky shipping. I’ve sold a few items recently on eBay (one watch went to the Maldives!) that eventually went overseas. It was easy and eBay takes the hit if the item doesn’t make it to its final destination. The buyer pays eBay for all the fees.

Just an idea for next time...