Freese 101 - Seeking shipping advice from other US based Simon Freese Clients

Hello OF,

I’m seeking help from other US based Simon Freese Clients. I have a Freese 101 that requires servicing and I would like to send it to Simon as he made the watch. This may seem like a trivial, almost stupid question, but I am very fond of this watch, I have never shipped a watch abroad and I would like the watch to arrive as efficiently as possible. So I’m looking for advice from those that have previously shipped from the US to Simon.

My question: Is there a shipping service that you would recommend using and have had good success with a past shipping experience? Additionally, if there is one you would recommend, please also let me know.

Thanks and have a great weekend OF!
Edited:

I don’t want to do Simon out of any trade but it is a standard modern movement ( Sellita SW200 I think) so a good watchmaker should be able to service it and that reduces and shipping and import / export risk. Of course I appreciate you would prefer him to work on it but it is not really necessary for the movement. Of course if you want any external work done it is more of a concern. Supper watch / I enjoy mine (also the Freese 53)

Like 2
I appreciate that and he said the same to me when I contacted him initially after the hands came loose. I took it to my local watchmaker, authorized servicer of many of the major brands, they reset the hands and replace the winding stem. Shortly after the minimal service they performed, it seems like the automatic rotor is getting stuck because it stops winding & ticking. So needless to say I'm a bit wary of them working on it again and hence why I'm thinking of sending it to Simon.

Oh, I had no idea he made his own watches.. That's really great!
He used to work for/with Tony at Swiss Time Services.. He's a really nice guy.

This will sound terribly wasteful, but a brand new Sellita sw200 movement can be bought for about £150 incl, and I'm guessing he's gonna charge probably £250-290 to service it plus the cost of the shipping and insurance..
Edited:

Like 2
Oh, I had no idea he made his own watches.. That's really great!
He used to work for/with Tony at Swiss Time Services.. He's a really nice guy.

This will sound terribly wasteful, but a brand new Sellita sw200 movement can be bought for about £150 incl, and I'm guessing he's gonna charge probably £250-290 to service it plus the cost of the shipping and insurance..
He was very cordial in the correspondence we have had so far and I’m looking forward to hearing what he would recommend for the service. And I appreciate your ball park estimate of what the service might cost as I don’t have experience with the service costs of a SW200.

My main goal though with posting the thread was to see if any other US based clients of Simon recommend one of the shipping carriers over the other, as I don’t have any experience shipping from the US to the UK.

I haven’t shipped anything to Mr. Freese, but I have shipped watches to purchasers in London before as well as to the EU and Asia and I’ve always used USPS Priority Mail Express International. Usually takes 3-6 days and you can insure contents up to $5k for an additional fee.

Like 2
FedEx

Like 1
FedEx
Doesn’t FedEx have pretty strict limits on insurance for watches?

Like 1
I haven’t shipped anything to Mr. Freese, but I have shipped watches to purchasers in London before as well as to the EU and Asia and I’ve always used USPS Priority Mail Express International. Usually takes 3-6 days and you can insure contents up to $5k for an additional fee.
FedEx
Thanks to you both @gbesq & @STANDY, very much appreciate the insight. I'll look into both services.

Contents = Yes and No. Pls. Call USPS and ask specifically for the max. Payout for Jewellery/Watches ; regardless what you insured them for.

Like 1
Don't all of USPS, FedEx, DHL, and UPS cap their jewelry insurance around $1k, or is my research wrong?

Like 1
Don't all of USPS, FedEx, DHL, and UPS cap their jewelry insurance around $1k, or is my research wrong?

There is a difference between local and international insurance. Payout value is capped, yes. USPS First Class international registered seems to have better options. Confirm with USPS. They are easier to deal with at foreign customs...

Like 1

Parcel pro etc…

I’m pretty sure the watch was around the $1k mark anyway IIRC
Did look at one but the 30m waterproofing for a new vintage looking diver slowed that look up a bit ;)

Like 1