Forums Latest Members
  1. Eric Nov 26, 2013

What can you guys tell me about this watch? I suspect it's a franken but I don't have a way to be sure at the moment.

The crown isn't original, I'm pretty sure of that, but that's no big deal. The case seems right and the dial/hands seem right, but I don't know if the dial/hands are original to the case. The movement is manual wind, does not hack, and has date but no quick set. From eyeballing the second hand it looks like a fairly low-beat movement.

I don't want to open the case, I've worked with crystals/stems/crowns before but I've never opened a front-loader and I don't want to start with this one. So I really want to know what the movement is but I can't peek inside at the moment.

The real mystery is the paperwork. I usually assume that papers/box are not original until proven otherwise and I don't care much, but this one has some strange paperwork that makes me really curious. On the paperwork the reference number is 136.010, which according to the Omega database corresponds to a Geneve from '74 or '75 (it would totally not surprise me if this watch has a movement from a Geneve), but the date of sale is in 1972. Weird. Also, the movement number on the paperwork is 22,373,803 which seems to place it around 1965. Why would the paperwork be inconsistent, even if faked? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong.

Anyway, I'm planning to get a proper replacement crown, and when I take it to the watchmaker to swap the crown I'll ask him to write down the markings on the movement and caseback, but in the meantime if you guys have any clues I'd love to hear what you think.

IMAG0066.jpg
    IMAG0067.jpg
    IMAG0068.jpg

2. ulackfocus Nov 26, 2013

Well, the serial number dates the watch to the correct period for a manual wind front loading Seamaster DeVille. It's possible the watch was assembled a year or two after the movement was made, then the dealer had it in stock for several years too. And who knows if the dealer didn't add a year or two to the warranty paperwork to buy the customer an extra year or two?

The crown is certainly a replacement but as you note that's not a big deal. I'd want to see more detailed pictures of the lugs and caseback edges because I suspect the crispness has been polished away completely.

3. Eric Nov 26, 2013

Thanks, it's nice to know the papers could be right, I'm very suspicious of frankens and that sent up a red flag to me.

No pics of lugs or caseback necessary, I can assure you that it's been shined up to hell and back. I can even see where one lug end has been beveled off by a buff wheel.

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Nov 27, 2013

You need to add a digit to the reference for this one in the database, 136.0010, which is for a hand wind cal 611 DE VILLE.

Some of this reference were dialed Seamaster and some as DE VILLE.

OPs watch appears to have a refinished dial, I don't like the -T SWISS MADE T- for this reference.

5. Eric Nov 27, 2013

I think you may be right, under magnification the dial is in far better shape than the hands, which show the proper age.