Forums Latest Members
  1. khanmu Jan 27, 2018

A few years ago, before I found OF and well before I knew that vintage watches could be faked, I bought this. At the time, I thought the combination of the rose gold markers, black dial and silver case was one the nicest things I'd ever seen.

Of course, now I understand it's a franken - "wrong" 552 movement, refinished dial, 14381/7 SC case (possibly genuine)..But what do with it? I kept it as a lesson and to remind me to be careful but now looking at it just makes me cross. So what to do with it? I thought about dropping it at a charity shop but don't want it to re-enter the food chain, and they option, hitting it with a hammer seems a bit over the top. Is there any market value in separating out the bits, or is it all too far gone and best dropped in the rubbish bin?

Also, I do still want a black dial Connie - is there an actual real model which comes close to this?

Thanks!

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Edited Jan 27, 2018
  2. 77deluxe Jan 27, 2018

It makes a great beater.

3. peatnick Jan 27, 2018

Sure does, but if it makes you cross just put it on ebay with an honest description, that way you don't have to fell poorly about shifting it on, someone else may be happy to have it eyes wide open . . .

[​IMG]

My 14902 with rose hands and markers for comparison

George.A and khanmu like this.
  4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2018

So tell us why the dial is refinished?

5. Gordon Heavyfoot Jan 27, 2018

If it's a redial it's a damn good one. Looks like aged radium at the hour indexes. The hands should be lumed as well I believe.

6. khanmu Jan 27, 2018

This photo in stronger light might help a bit more.. it seems to me that:
    - the little minute markers don't line up properly, - - the Omega lettering looks like it's not on properly
    - the dial colour seems to be two times of black
    - it's missing the "officially certified" which is what I've seen on most other similar images I've googled
    - "constellation" looks painted on

IMG_0530.JPG

Why - do you think it might not be? (Slight element of hope creeping into voice, no doubt to be cruelly dashed...)

7. khanmu Jan 27, 2018

Thanks @peatnick and @77deluxe - problem is looking at it reminds me I was swindled and also it seems such a sad waste - someone with some level of talent spent time putting that togther, when they could have been more honesty servicing a growing demand for good watchmakers...

8. micampe Jan 27, 2018

Wrong hands and polished case but that dial doesn’t look bad to me.

Examples without “officially certified” do exist, I believe you can find info about them on Desmond’s essay on dials.

Thin daggers and black dial is also a fairly uncommon configuration.

[​IMG]

Dr No, cicindela and khanmu like this.
  9. peatnick Jan 27, 2018

my 14381 circa 1960 hasn't been "officially certified"

[​IMG]

TexOmega, cicindela and khanmu like this.
  10. micampe Jan 27, 2018

My dial is different and degraded, but you can still see that it also used to have two different finishes.

[​IMG]

Waltesefalcon, cicindela and khanmu like this.
  11. ConElPueblo Jan 27, 2018

Agree with the other guys here - nothing wrong with that dial :)
    It is probably probably just an (seriously!) overpolished 14.381 with a swapped bridge/rotor assembly. Get a new case and you are golden!

EDIT: More like a movement swap. The serial isn't on the the rotor bridge :whipped:

Neither have any of mine.

cicindela and khanmu like this.
  12. Sherbie Jan 27, 2018

Later 50s to early 60s (1962 ish) connies didnt have “officially certified” on the dial, so your watch dial is correct for this type of case - take a look on Desmonds excellent constellation site

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.co.uk/

Now the hand set doesnt look right - the second hand is way too long, and both hr and min hand should be lumed

And i agree that the cal 552 was never used in connies, and i think the serial number is too late for this type ( serial dates to 1966 or so) anyway

So, i think only the movement is wrong here

Now i,m sure someone else will confirm if two tone black dials were made

I would keep and use it as a beater - if not pass it on but list all details, and of course, if the movement is a genuine 552 ( and not a collection of parts) hese 552s were used in seamaster 300s, so this will have a value too

Cheers paul

cicindela, khanmu and ConElPueblo like this.
  13. Noddyman Jan 27, 2018

I agree with everyone above that dial looks original.

Mine is similar with rose gold but different markers.

866366FF-3ACF-41E1-AD50-DFC834119F4A.jpeg
    TexOmega, TNTwatch, Dr No and 3 others like this.
  14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 27, 2018

The case is polished and the movt is wrong but it’s a helluva job if it’s a redial.

cicindela likes this.
  15. khanmu Jan 27, 2018

Thanks everyone - thats really helpful, and makes me feel a bit better. If I had more time, I might try and hunt down the correct hands and movement, but as it is I will probably pop it onto eBay and list / describe it as suggested above - it also came with a beads of rice bracelet and end links so that might help the sale.

Of course I will be grumpy and demand an OF membership fee refund if I then see me/it get reported on the eBay fakes sticky thread....

ConElPueblo likes this.
  16. Sherbie Jan 27, 2018

Its not a fake. Its all Omega ( admittedly, not all Connie) but if you clearly describe its faults, then no one should call you out, as you are being completely honest and upfront

cicindela likes this.
  17. micampe Jan 27, 2018

You say you still want a black dial Connie, I would keep the one you have. It might have issues but the dial is very good and not common. You could find another one with a damaged or refinished dial and swap.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  18. bags1971 Jan 27, 2018

i like it alot

If it was mine I know where it would be on my wrist

19. dragoman Jan 27, 2018

Sell it here, describe it properly, put a reasonable price... and I'll buy it.

Just (half) joking. Anyway, I am pretty sure there are forumers who would buy it, and you could save ebay's fees and headaches.

20. GordonL Jan 27, 2018

"Franken" or not it's a good looking watch which I'm sure a lot of folks would happily wear!