Forums Latest Members

Franken alert- military Longines Weems FS on line

1. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 2, 2017

A dealer out of Berlin called "Shuck the Oyster" (www.shucktheoyster.com) is offering on Instagram and on their website, and for a significant price exceeding 1000 euros, a watch which is a gross franken, and has:
    - incorrect dial, incorrect handset, incorrect crowns. Correct case. Movement not avail.

For the record a US military issued A11 Longines Weems should have ZERO inscriptions on the dial -- A11 military specifications requires dials to be sterile. The correct two tone dial, correct bliued/red handset and correct crowns are pictured below on an old photo I saved from the internet.
    The correct 10L military movement is marked US Army AC (US army air corps) on the bridge.
    The case back on the watch which is being offered is indeed correct.

Finally, a correct civilian Longines Weems has the words "Longines Weems" on the dial, with a US patent number as those watches (also equipped with the US 10L movement) were made for the US market.

Those watches are all 28mm.

IMG_2862.PNG IMG_2863.PNG IMG_2860.JPG
    Edited Jun 2, 2017
    Mr.Cairo, noelekal, yuralagun and 2 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 2, 2017

Missing the bezel lock tab too.

noelekal and Syrte like this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jun 2, 2017

Actually the winding crown on the sterile dial I posted looks like it could be a non Weems replacement as it is too bulky and thick for the Weems model. The bezel locking crown though is how it should be.

bhoboo, Hurley and noelekal like this.
  4. default Jul 9, 2017

did you contact the seller about that? I feel that we should at least contact sellers if we find a bogus watch on their websites to give them the chance to correct their mistake. I have looked at his website and he has wonderful watches beside this crappy one. It really makes no sense to post these things on the forum without any notification!

5. Antoine Jul 9, 2017

Here is my Longines Wittnauer A11 with correct crowns and correct sweep second hand. I agree with you, the winding crown on the reference you posted is not right either. Only the locking crown; But the the sweep second being red colour is totally wrong. Amitiés, Antoine Photo 419.jpg

Syrte and Mark020 like this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 9, 2017

That's a good point but my overwhelming experience so far with sellers being contacted directly is denial and endless defensive arguments. I just got tired, and prefer serving the public than the sellers. Nothing personal against this one or others, but it's their business to know what they're selling and if they use the internet and social networks to maximize exposure then they assume responsibility for it. I'm not paid to do this, they are.
    In this particular instance the issue is moot as the watch was since withdrawn from the website.

@Antoine thanks for the pic, looks very nice. I was pretty sure the red hand was correct too but will defer if you're positive it's not as I haven't looked into those for a while.

7. bubba48 Jul 9, 2017

I completely agree with you :thumbsup:

P.S. - IMHO the red hand is not correct