Forums Latest Members

Frédérique Constant give away

1. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 31, 2015

Good evening, I have a Frederique Constant Classics Index Date Automatic, Ref. No. FC303V5B4, which no longer runs and I would like to give to someone who may be able to get to run. I bought it used, with all boxes and papers, and it ran well for about 6 months. It suddenly stopped running and it wouldn't wind manually. The date and time could be changed when the crown was pulled out, but it just wouldn't wind nor run. I sent it to Watch Repairs USA (probably not the best decision) and they wanted $400 to repair. Since I paid $500 for the watch, I declined to have them repair it and they retuned it to me. When I got the watch back, the watch was running, but the second hand had fallen off. The watch now can be wound manually, but the date cannot be advanced. Obviously something going on with the crown (stem). If anyone is interested in trying to get it to run, I'd be glad to let you have it.

Here's a link for the watch on Frederique Constant website. http://www.frederique-constant.com/watch-finder/classics/classics-index-fc-303v5b4/

Mike

1200V_FC-303V5B4.png

timeismoney, Trev and kyle L like this.
  2. lenny Mar 31, 2015

Look into the warranty - it might still be valid. Less likely now that it has been opened, but you've still got nothing to lose.

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 31, 2015

I don't think that the warranty is still valid since I didn't buy the watch from an AD, but I will look at the paperwork that came with it. As an aside, I have another FC that has been great...I wear it often. Thanks Lenny.

4. travisrock Mar 31, 2015

I would love to give this second life! Would make a great dress watch for post-nursing school interviews too :)

5. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 31, 2015

I received a PM from a member and found a new home for the FC, someone training to be a watchmaker.

Travisrock, sorry I don't have another one :(

Thanks to the mods for helping me post this thread.

robocaspar and NT931 like this.
  6. ulackfocus Mar 31, 2015

Glad it found a good home! :thumbsup:

7. robocaspar Apr 1, 2015

Cheers, I'm the lucky recipient!

It'll be a great challenge to work on this watch.

8. travisrock Apr 1, 2015

please keep us posted on this! a cool behind the scenes of working on it would be great too :D

No problem @blufinz52 ! glad it went to a good home- and for educational purposes, none the less! :D

9. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 10, 2015

I should have posted this earlier but better late than never. Below is the PM I received from robocaspar after he repaired the FC that I sent him. He got the watch running again and his wife is wearing it.

Hi Mike!

I completed repair of the FC a few weeks ago. A few parts of the keyless works were worn down and had to be replaced. Since the second hand broke I decided to not install a new one.

As you can see in the last picture, the watch was gifted to my better half and she could not be happier with it, and wears it every day.

Thanks again Mike!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Giff2577 likes this.
  10. Canuck Jul 10, 2015

I find these ETA movements to be very reliable, and good runners. But when the winding/setting/calendar change mechanism act up, they can be a pain. $400.00 to fix it? My prices are too low! They could almost have replaced the movement, and made a profit at that price!

blufinz52 likes this.