Forums Latest Members
  1. LeftieDC Apr 11, 2019

Hi all - I'm a new member to the Omega Forums. Greetings! I've been actively reviewing posts here as I look to purchase my first Omega - this seems to be the premier source of Omega enthusiasts and experts!

I'm looking to purchase a vintage Omega Seamaster, likely a 600. I'm willing to pay top dollar for one that is in excellent condition, something "like-new" in appearance and function. Originality is good, but I'm ok with model-correct replacement parts.

I came across Fowey River Vintage Watches (see link). Has anyone here had a good experience with them or knowledge of them? The price-point does seem high (from my understanding), but they do seem like they've been treated well. I wasn't able to find any info on them here on Omega Forums, and so I thought I'd ask.

I appreciate any insights that you all have. Thank you!

Photo of one of their watches:
    [​IMG]

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Apr 11, 2019

They are honest about redials which is a positive, and I would suggest you ask them if any piece you are interested has been repainted. However they seem to get a lot of use from their dremel as many of their watches appear to have been heavily polished, it may be the pics but the lugs in the pic above look quite rounded to me.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. Edward53 Apr 11, 2019

Quite staggeringly overpriced and I have yet to see a watch of theirs that a collector would want to own.

TimeODanaos, apsm100 and Noddyman like this.
  4. Noddyman Apr 11, 2019

5. Hawkwood May 20, 2019

I have been a collector for many years and I have used this dealer on an almost exclusive basis. I can say that you get what it says on the tin and no quibbles. If you look at his website the watches on show are in the main for customers who are not collectors in the true sense of the word but customers who want a watch that looks like new, works like new and comes with a caste iron guarantee and for much less then the £5000- £10000 you need to pay for the current model. Does any body really want a 50 year old Omega 269 with a case full of chips and dents and a dial you can't read I think not! The prices reflect the restoration work that has gone into them. Much but by no means all of his stock is bought at auction in derelict or poor condition. The watches are then fully restored which is a costly and time consuming business. I collect original watches and I am VERY fussy. I decide what I want eg Omega 321 I tell him and he finds it for me. I do have it serviced and checked over but not polished or the dial touched in any way. So if you just want a good reliable Omega then fill your boots, but remember always haggle on price. If you want to source a collectors Omega then you need to ask the dealer to find it for you, but and it's a big but, these barn find watches are getting very scarce and expensive.

Rosard likes this.
  6. apsm100 applysome! May 20, 2019

Why does this sound like a drunken car salesman pyramid scheme pitch?

inchpincher, Sgt_Bilko, sdre and 5 others like this.
  7. Hawkwood May 20, 2019

Just trying to explain what this dealer is about and my experience of them.

wsfarrell likes this.
  8. new_heuer May 20, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to sign up and give us your unbiased opinion.

YYTIN, Foo2rama, inchpincher and 8 others like this.
  9. Hnansen May 20, 2019

Bullshit.

Sgt_Bilko, efauser, sdre and 3 others like this.
  10. apsm100 applysome! May 20, 2019

Did you actually make another account just to like your own post??
    If the OP is actually legitimate stay far far away from this dealer.

sdre, Noddyman, new_heuer and 2 others like this.
  11. Hawkwood May 20, 2019

Unworthy of response

12. Hnansen May 20, 2019

Your extremely poor attempt at covert marketing sure is.

13. KingCrouchy May 20, 2019

How to be a smart shady seller

1.) Use the cover of Anonymity to write a positive response with a new account.
    2.) Cash in and sell crap.
    3.) Wake up and don't take everyone for an idiot.

Biezmez, chronoboy64, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  14. Rosard May 20, 2019

I have to agree with Hawkwood.
    Whilst I have not been a collector for 14 years, nor do I have the wallet to afford an Ed White, or similar, 321; I know quality and honesty when I come across it.
    I first became aware of Omega as a brand and in particular the 321 Speedmaster (moon watch) as a young lad in the 1970’s. There was a full page advert in some publication showing ‘ a space man’, a symbol I did not recognise and a picture of a watch face.
    It was not until many years later, about 40 years, that, when looking into a jewellers window as I strolled passed, that I was aware of some point of sale and a watch that had a similarity to the publication all those years before. The penny dropped and I became aware that I had long known of Omega and its very special place in the history of horology but had not known I knew!
    Unfortunately, but in a nice way, I was drawn into the store and purchased a ‘moon watch’. I say unfortunately because I had not purchased the watch I had seen on the page those 40 years ago, but a very nice modern version of.
    Lovely piece, beautifully put together, nice big presentation box and all the trimmings, BUT, not a 321......
    If I had of postponed my purchase for just 3 months, I would have perhaps never purchased a modern ‘professional’ endowed Moon watch, but would have saved up and bought the real thing.....
    2 things happened in the 3 months mentioned; I came across a lovely shop in London, Austin Kaye ( and purchase a beautiful Pie-pan constellation, AND, I came across Fowey River Watches!!!!
    The Austin Kaye experience was very business like and whilst I know I paid over the odds for a stunning watch, I was in London, and I could have said no!
    This finally leads me on to the reason for this very long intro, and thanks for bearing with me.
    I now had the bug for horology and started doing a lot more research into watch brands and prices and what makes some special, some reasonable, some exceptional and some overpriced but mediocre.
    Different people like different things. Some people like bling and names ( even if they pay well over the odds for that name).
    Some like elegant, sophisticated, classic and understated.
    I lean more to the latter and I appreciate knowledge, honesty and good people with a true working ethic of fairness and friendship.
    My research lead me to Andrew and Fowey River Watches.
    I saw an item on eBay a Seamaster and 6 or 7 pictures of it.
    Not 1 or 2 hazy pictures but many, From all angles, stripped down, the movement, the face, the bracelet and much in the way of narrative. I went onto the Fowey River website and saw many many watches, all photographed and advertised in the same professional way.
    To cut to the chase, I rang the number on the website and was privileged to speak to be greeted by someone who knew what the were saying and at no point was I being sold to. I was still very much a novice and appreciated that this person was not taking advantage of that fact. I was being spoken to as an aficionado and an enthusiast and not being spoken down to. The knowledge that was being imparted on me, with no definite sale being made and at no cost to me, was exceptional. I knew that should I wish to purchase any further watches, this was the place.
    Andrew is a true and honest businessman.
    Fowey River Watches is simply world wide regarded as being on a par with the best in the business of vintage watch restorers and suppliers, Omega in particular.
    I wish I had of come across Fowey River Watches 3 months earlier; as I would have had £3400.00 more to put towards an original 321 and not bought a new ‘professional’ version!
    FRW may not be the cheapest.
    They are not the most expensive.
    They are very good at what they do and you will not be left wanting.
    Talk to Andrew and find the watch you want.
    I am absolutely sure £ for £ you will not find better vintage Omega anywhere.

15. Edward53 May 20, 2019

Another brand new account. Either you are another straw man (or woman) or you are dangerously naive about the vintage watch market and starry-eyed about dealers for some reason. I'm thinking the former.

Incidentally, nobody has accused this dealer of being dishonest.

Joe_A, DaveK, michael22 and 1 other person like this.
  16. new_heuer May 20, 2019

just when you think it can't get any worse! I would suggest Fowey River watches seek professional PR help ASAP

Foo2rama and michael22 like this.
  17. dputydwg1 May 20, 2019

::popcorn::

YYTIN and DaveK like this.
  18. Rosard May 20, 2019

I have to agree with Hawkwood.
    Whilst I have not been a collector for 14 years, nor do I have the wallet to afford an Ed White, or similar, 321; I know quality and honesty when I come across it.
    I first became aware of Omega as a brand and in particular the 321 Speedmaster (moon watch) as a young lad in the 1970’s. There was a full page advert in some publication showing ‘ a space man’, a symbol I did not recognise and a picture of a watch face.
    It was not until many years later, about 40 years, that, when looking into a jewellers window as I strolled passed, that I was aware of some point of sale and a watch that had a similarity to the publication all those years before. The penny dropped and I became aware that I had long known of Omega and its very special place in the history of horology but had not known I knew!
    Unfortunately, but in a nice way, I was drawn into the store and purchased a ‘moon watch’. I say unfortunately because I had not purchased the watch I had seen on the page those 40 years ago, but a very nice modern version of.
    Lovely piece, beautifully put together, nice big presentation box and all the trimmings, BUT, not a 321......
    If I had of postponed my purchase for just 3 months, I would have perhaps never purchased a modern ‘professional’ endowed Moon watch, but would have saved up and bought the real thing.....
    2 things happened in the 3 months mentioned; I came across a lovely shop in London, Austin Kaye ( and purchase a beautiful Pie-pan constellation, AND, I came across Fowey River Watches!!!!
    The Austin Kaye experience was very business like and whilst I know I paid over the odds for a stunning watch, I was in London, and I could have said no!
    This finally leads me on to the reason for this very long intro, and thanks for bearing with me.
    I now had the bug for horology and started doing a lot more research into watch brands and prices and what makes some special, some reasonable, some exceptional and some overpriced but mediocre.
    Different people like different things. Some people like bling and names ( even if they pay well over the odds for that name).
    Some like elegant, sophisticated, classic and understated.
    I lean more to the latter and I appreciate knowledge, honesty and good people with a true working ethic of fairness and friendship.
    My research lead me to Andrew and Fowey River Watches.
    I saw an item on eBay a Seamaster and 6 or 7 pictures of it.
    Not 1 or 2 hazy pictures but many, From all angles, stripped down, the movement, the face, the bracelet and much in the way of narrative. I went onto the Fowey River website and saw many many watches, all photographed and advertised in the same professional way.
    To cut to the chase, I rang the number on the website and was privileged to speak to and be greeted by someone who knew what they were saying and at no point was I being sold to. I was still very much a novice and appreciated that this person was not taking advantage of that fact. I was being spoken to as an aficionado and an enthusiast and not being spoken down to. The knowledge that was being imparted on me, with no definite sale being made and at no cost to me, was exceptional. I knew that should I wish to purchase any further watches, this was the place.
    Andrew is a true and honest businessman.
    Fowey River Watches is simply world wide regarded as being on a par with the best in the business of vintage watch restorers and suppliers, Omega in particular.
    I wish I had of come across Fowey River Watches 3 months earlier; as I would have had £3400.00 more to put towards an original 321 and not bought a new ‘professional’ version!
    FRW may not be the cheapest.
    They are not the most expensive.
    They are very good at what they do and you will not be left wanting.
    Talk to Andrew and find the watch you want.
    I am absolutely sure £ for £ you will not find better vintage Omega anywhere.

19. Edward53 May 20, 2019

::confused2::::confused2::::confused2::

[ETA: in case he/she deletes it, I am quoting this person's repeat of their identical post from 25 minutes previously]

DaveK likes this.
  20. southtexas May 20, 2019

Echo!