Forums Latest Members

Found Family Pieces - AP, JLC, Rolex, Omega

1. corspeed Dec 6, 2015

Kicking this thread off following an initial one around just the Omega...

I was recently introduced to my now deceased Grandfather's watch collection. My father is not particularly a connoisseur of mechanical watches, so does not know much about them beyond the fact that they were pieces that Gramps picked up over the course of his career. When I told him I'm becoming an aspiring watch nerd, he said I should take a look.

I will provide my brief observations for each watch. As my Grandfather has passed on, I don't have as much info as I'd like. I do suspect most of them are late 50's through late 60's though. A front/back pic of each one then follows further below in the same order of the descriptions below. Any info on value (out of curiosity) is appreciated, but moreso I'm looking for info on heritage, rarity, anything that may be special about the reference, etc. Whatever will better help me understand the story in these family pieces. Thanks for your time and helping a young'un to learn!

Omega Constellation
    There is a healthy thread already on this piece. https://omegaforums.net/threads/info-on-vintage-constellation-inherited-family-piece.32534/

Rolex Oyster Perpetual
    -As with all of these watches, I'm guessing it was picked up in the late 50's to late 60's.
    -This one appears to be in good mechanical shape (started right up with a quick wind) but no service in at least 25 years.
    -FRONT: Patina on the dial (hours inner and minutes outer), and text of Rolex Oyster Perpetual | Chronometer
    -BACK: Inscriptions of 161647, and then below that 3134

Jaeger LeCoultre
    -Not functional, and I can hear and feel unhealthy rattlings inside when I turn this one up and down :(
    -2 Crowns (at 2 and 4 indicators)
    FRONT: Outer Dial has minute and hour markings, inner dial appears to have a 'floating' hand (just after 10-o'clock indicator in the pic)
    BACK: No markings or inscriptions.

Audemars Piguet
    Extremely, extremely thin
    Didn't even mess with the functionaltiy on this one, as it was still in plastic so I figure look before you leap!
    FRONT: Very simple face, with significant, ornate bezel
    BACK: Inscription of 14714

Thanks all for any info. I'm feeling like a lucky guy, but need more education to know just how lucky.

PICS:
    1 - Omega Front
    2 - Omega Back
    3 - Rolex Front
    4- Rolex Back
    5 - JLC Front
    6 - AP Front
    7 - AP Back

Omega - Face.jpg Omega - Back.jpg Rolex - Front.jpg Rolex - Back.jpg JLC - Front.jpg AP - Front.jpg AP - Back.jpg

2. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2015

Have you posted these before on other forums, particularly the AP?

The Constellation looks fine, but the others appear to be redials.

The reason you hear "unhealthy rattlings" inside the LeCoultre is that the alarm hammer is probably loose. Have it checked out and serviced by a professional watchmaker.

OMGRLX and PatrickJ like this.
  3. corspeed Dec 6, 2015

Re: previous posts - no, I have not posted any of these before, except for the Omega on the alternative thread yesterday. What is the implication/significance of the others being redials (if that is the case)?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 6, 2015

I think the LeCoultre dial is original. The Rolex and AP dials have been refinished.

Years ago, it was a common practice to "refresh" a watch dial if it were discolored. Nicotine smoke is poison to a watch dial as are the radioactive materials used to make them glow in the dark (usually radium). Given the high percentage of people who smoked back then, this discoloration occurred quite often.

The significance of a redial is very small if these pieces are to remain in the family. However, collectors prize fully original pieces, so the value is greatly reduced.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

corspeed likes this.
  5. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 6, 2015

The Rolex is called a "Bubbleback"
    161647 is the Serial number. Tells us made in 1953
    3134 is the "Reference"
    It's an Automatic 9 3/4 Ligne
    Dial has been Re-printed and Re-lumed at some point. Not original.
    Value- I would say around $1500.
    Be careful who you take this to to get repaired/serviced.
    Parts are very scarce and these movements very finicky.
    Needs the care of a watchmaker comfortable repairing these,
    and with access to parts. You will have difficulty finding
    a watchmaker willing to work on this.

corspeed likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 6, 2015

The Rolex is older than that. Probably early 1940's, based the website below:

http://www.qualitytyme.net/pages/numbers.html

Rolex serials numbers reached 1,000,000 in the early 1950's and for some unexplained reason they just started over from 10,000.

gatorcpa

Darlinboy and corspeed like this.
  7. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 6, 2015

This is correct. My bad.
    Answered too hastily. I agree with early 40's.
    The one my dad left me is 57,143
    and I know he got it at the end of the war
    overseas. When researching it, the serial
    number indicates around 1935, but some
    of the Rolex guys like Bill Shaine said that
    the Bubbleback serials don't seem to correlate
    well.
    CIMG0089.JPG

Edited Dec 6, 2015
  8. ConElPueblo Dec 6, 2015

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 6, 2015

From the other thread...
    So maybe, just maybe, the AP dial is original.

You would need confirmation on this from the factory, but it would be worth having.

gatorcpa

10. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 6, 2015

Don't sell the jaeger or the AP until you have them appraised professionally. I would go to an auction house and have them checked. in fact, bring them all, but I think the Jaeger may be worth something. Maybe I'm wrong but just in case I would recommend you have them appraised before answering any pm's

The rolex is definately early 40's

11. Traveler Dec 6, 2015

Hard to tell for sure from that pic, but the AP dial looks good to me ( based on extensive conversations regarding my one ). Where are you based? Their historian is located in NYC and is very helpful, so you could always run it by him if it's convenient.

12. corspeed Dec 6, 2015

This was incredibly helpful. Aiming to connect with the gentleman from AP cited in the article. Will let the thread know if something interesting comes of it. Thanks everyone!

13. ulackfocus Dec 6, 2015

Check your PMs.

14. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Dec 6, 2015

To my eyes, the AP's dial lacks a certain deftness. The overall execution is rather thick and--dare I say--clumsy, when compared to other examples. I believe that the vertical cross-hair should intersect the "R" in "Audemars", not the "S" in "Audemars". The "A"s should have flat tops not pointed ones. And the dial should say "Swiss" at the bottom. All photos are stolen. phillips geneva one.JPG IMG_2625.JPG Ap disco - Copy.JPG

Edited Dec 6, 2015
  15. ConElPueblo Dec 7, 2015

I don't think anyone here believes it to be an original finish. As you say, it looks far too clumsy. I can't believe that AP would let something like that leave the assembly line...

16. ELV web Dec 7, 2015

I think the alignment of the signature is enough proof. In any event, it is a nice set of watches and even if the AP is a redial, it still looks very nice :thumbsup:

Edited Dec 7, 2015