Found an Omega Baby Ploprof made the day after I was born but need your help

Hi all, my first post but hopefully not my last! I could really use your vast knowledge.

I've been a long term Omega lover for years and have been looking for a birth year watch.
What I've actually found is a Seamaster 120 that the movement has been authenticated by Omega to the day after I was born so it doesn't get much better!

I love the Ploprof model but I'm scared of the price and getting it wrong if I buy something overpriced or not genuine .

The seller is actually really good to talk to and is a long term dive watch collector. I don't have any reason to doubt him as he is being very genuine I feel.

I personally think it's had a service dial but what do you guys think of the watch in general, been offered it for £2850.
I've heard that some dials had the 12 o'clock index split into two and others not. The llume looks very aged.
The hands look suitably aged too with matching lume decay to the dial. If you replace the dial do you replace the hands too?

There is no service history but apparently it keeps time well.

The bezel I believe is original with bakelite inlay ring showing browning through uv exposure. I understand the service bezel isn't bakelite and has a pip at 12.

The bracelet isn't original but I'm not worried about that unless it's too expensive as a result, it is an omega bracelet though.

I really love the watch but it is a lot of money to me if I get it wrong but if I'm OK with it I'll probably have it until I die!

All opinions very welcome and thanks.

It's not a Ploprof. Price seems high to me vs. condition - both inside and out. Can't help you on the dial, not deep on these.

It's not a Ploprof. Price seems high to me vs. condition - both inside and out. Can't help you on the dial, not deep on these.
Sorry I meant Baby Ploprof, I'll amend it....

Don't get too hung up on that production date. A watch is not made in one day, and they are likely released in batches, too.

I (sort of) get the "birth year" watch but that wouldn't make me seek one out.

Don't get too hung up on that production date. A watch is not made in one day, and they are likely released in batches, too.

I (sort of) get the "birth year" watch but that wouldn't make me seek one out.

Thanks, yeah I apptecuate exactly what you are saying, I'm positive it wouldn't all have happened on my birthday but as far as official recognition goes it doesn't get any better. I wasn't bothered about a birth year watch too much but an Omega diver with official paperwork is a real attraction.

What's your opinion on the way the watch looks for its age and the asking price?

What's your opinion on the way the watch looks for its age and the asking price?
It looks a little rough but acceptable to a collector. I personally would not pay that price, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. That said, you have mutiple factors to consider. How old are you? If you're 30 and you can afford it, and you plan to keep it forever, how many do you see at that price in that condition? As long as you've got money you can set in a pile and burn, then I'm sure it's fine. I'm going to assume you want "collector" and "I care about its battle scars". That equation is something different if your goals are different.

Definitely do not settle for this because you cannot find (yet) what you want! If that's the case, you need to save more. Watches you buy because you cannot afford what you want turn into regret sooner or later.... which is why I'm not buying Constellations from the 50s. All the rest of you want them, which means I shouldn't. 😁

How old are you? If you're 30 and you can afford it, and you plan to keep it forever, how many do you see at that price in that condition?

I'm *guessing* that he turned 41 earlier this year 😁

I'm *guessing* that he turned 41 earlier this year 😁
So I looked at the extract and saw “1980” and thought- birthyear, this guy is a kid! Then you saying “41” just drove it home for me- I’m old.

So... I don’t know hardly anything about Omega’s, and have zero idea about what $$$ this watch might be worth, and can give no feedback on condition because I’m ignorant of that too.

But I do know something about decision making. Two things come to mind. One, is you seem excited about the watch itself , and it’s unlikely to repeat both the watch style WITH an extract having (almost) your birthday. This is a scenario that is unlikely to repeat, and as such, here’s a question for you. If you project yourself into the future, and then look back on this event, which is the one more likely that you’ll regret? That you bought the watch? Or that you didn’t?

If you buy the watch, and then decide you want something different/ better/ whatever, that’s a problem that is easily solved. Sell the watch.
On the other hand, if in a few months you regret not buying it, what are your options? You can’t just go find another combination of this watch style and extract date. (All things are possible, but it’s not likely ) It has the potential to be a long term regret.

So if you really like this watch, and love the extract date, I would be inclined to go for it. Try to strike the best deal you can, and enjoy it. Worse case is you might lose a few $$ if you should ever decide to sell. Good luck

The age talk make me laugh too

Is the imperfection of the 7-hour marker a sign of a re-lume tho?

Definitely do not settle

I need to have this tattooed on my left forearm.

Impatience is the enemy of smart collecting.

I need to have this tattooed on my left forearm.

Hopefully the wife wouldn't take this the wrong way. 😁