Forums Latest Members

Found a vintage gem on ebay. It's a 1950s Pierce, and I love it!

1. pomelowatches Nov 19, 2019

Hey guys, I picked up this vintage Moonphase watch on ebay a while back and thought I'd post some macros of it. It looks incredible up close. The detail on the dial and the attention to detail: from the shape and size of the hands, to the closed eyes and stars on the moonphase indicator are phenomenal. This one is from the 1950s, and as the saying goes, they don't make 'em like they used to! It's a tad bit smaller than I'm used to - at 33mm, but it works really well. The seller was the original owner and included a kind note which was a nice reminder of how a watch can really bond with its wearer. For more watch shots and the story behind it, feel free to have a read here

[​IMG]

Enjoy! Daniel

JoLo, Dr.Sascha, X350 XJR and 16 others like this.
  2. WatchCor Nov 19, 2019

Nice find a, beautiful watch and a great story. Thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

pomelowatches likes this.
  3. neilbardsley Thought about a Speedy, got a Speedy Nov 19, 2019

what is nice

4. DeepBlue Nov 19, 2019

Appears to be in great condition.

I really like the happy moonface :)

5. Dan S Nov 19, 2019

As you may know, Pierce used their own cal 103(CLD) movement in these watches. Pierce was a bit of a quirky watch manufacturer in general. Not many companies made entry-level complicated watches and chronographs using in-house movements. Tidbits like this are great for a blog, and could make it more interesting for collectors to read.

6. Renton Nov 19, 2019

Lovely story! Wear in good health pal.

7. Walrus Nov 19, 2019

Damn that is very nice. Nice write up as well. Not much to not like about that watch. I’ve been steering away from eBay lately but I’ve gotten good deals in the past and should start browsing again. I don’t want to ask what you payed as that is not polite but could you give a general ballpark number on what a piece like this might go for. I just like to get rough ideas on such things in case one pops up somewhere in my travels. Congrats on a great looking pickup

noelekal and pomelowatches like this.
  8. pomelowatches Nov 19, 2019

Thanks for the feedback. Happy to share what I paid; not precious about that. The bid closed close to £400. I think the real question will be what the cost of service will amount to! Will keep you posted...

Walrus likes this.
  9. Walrus Nov 19, 2019

Darn you now I had to go look and they have one on eBay for 400us. It says working well no service history. Now I’m torn but I need to withhold as I just bought a new snowblower and am working on another watch deal. I just looked quick didn’t see the sellers feedback etc. but that’s why I dislike this place sometimes. I really want to add a moonphase to my collection and seeing this gentleman’s purchase I came very close to pushing the buy button. Unfortunately yesterday I actually had to use money to buy something more practical, a snowblower for our usually brutal winters. What a waste that could have been 2-3 decent watches.

10. Engee Nov 19, 2019

Instead of buying a snowblower you should have bought the watch and hunkered down for the winter, enjoying it!

pomelowatches and Walrus like this.
  11. Walrus Nov 19, 2019

Dude I wish I could have but I get these damn six foot drifts on my driveway and it’s pretty steep. So to keep the watch thing going I am possibly going to trade my 65 seamaster deville for a different omega or zenith, it’s fun to make trades sometimes if you work the edge and move it up a bit. I know many of you have much more than me but I’m up to 25 or so watches and I want to keep it at the number for a while until I can get a modern seamaster, but you know how that goes.

12. Claven2 Nov 19, 2019

Great dial on that one, too often these older not-so-moisture-proof watches have rather shabby faces on them.

13. Screwbacks Nov 19, 2019

hello from your brother.;)

difference: hands, non-chrome case, two-tone

pierce moonphase.jpg

14. pomelowatches Nov 20, 2019

Thanks guys. Was quite pleased with the condition of the watch. Was worried with the condition as the photos weren't the clearest on ebay, but it turned out to be a beauty!

As regards the snowblower @Walrus , i agree with @Engee ! Just hunker down and buy the watch haha

Walrus likes this.