Forums Latest Members

"Formida": Sherlock Holmes help needed!

1. Garde-Temps Apr 26, 2012

Bought a few months ago this "Formida" chronograph. Impossible to find any information anout this swiss brand.

Any expert around there ?

[​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Apr 26, 2012

What's inside? If we're guessing I'll say it's powered by a Landeron 148 or maybe a Venus 188 manual wind since they both were used in hundreds of brands. You could ask the Google about "formida chronograph" and sift through the links. Formida is probably just another of the small assemblers that were around in the 40's and 50's.

3. Garde-Temps Apr 26, 2012

Thank you! and you are really an expert!

Just went on Google and found a similar chrono with this comment:

"A FORMIDA CHRONOGRAPH WRIST WATCH; champagne dial with two subsidiary dials on a manual 17 jewell Landeron movement in a gold plate case to a leather strap. C- 1950"

Will try to find info about the history of the brand.

4. ulackfocus Apr 26, 2012

You're quite welcome! I'm no expert. "Addict" might be a more accurate description. :p

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 3, 2012

It's probably a "house brand" of a jeweler or department store from that time. Several million of these Landeron movements were made over 20+ years starting just after WWII. Many were put in extremely thin and hollow lugged gold cases like yours. The whole thing is held together by a secondary base metal case inside the gold case. There should be a dust cover underneath the gold caseback.

Don't ever lose that inside cover. It holds the whole watch together.

Properly serviced, the Landeron movements keep surprisingly good time. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

dsio likes this.
  6. Garde-Temps May 4, 2012

Nice one! Thank you for these useful infos :)

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 4, 2012

So its like a step between gold-filled and solid gold?

8. Garde-Temps May 4, 2012

Correct