Forums Latest Members

For those thinking of using UPS...

1. Faz Jan 25, 2019

I recently purchased this Yema from a fine gentleman on another forum. He sent it by UPS, fully insured ($600) to my good friend in CT so I can pick it up at another date.

IMG_0879.JPG

I checked tracking and it showed delivered, 'left at front door'? Only they left it at the wrong address? And why would you leave a package at the front door when a signature is required for the package? Pure incompetence or simple crookery? Stay tuned...

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 25, 2019

Happened to me numerous times with UPS. Every time I informed the sellers that I could have told him I got nothing and there's no way to prove anything, then let them deal with UPS... Lucky me, none of my neighbors seemed interested by packages left at my door so far... :confused:

Worst case ever was with a Chrono24 purchase from Italy. The seller paid 250€ to Ferrari Spa for a special tracked and insured transport to Switzerland. The guys at Ferrari told him they don't share the tracking during the 2 days of transport for security reasons. Two days later, I found a package at my front door, with an UPS label on it ::facepalm1:: and the UPS tracking worked perfectly, tracing the route from the seller to my house door. I informed the seller and sent him the UPS label - I would have paid to see his face when he realized he paid about 200€ too much for nothing to Ferrari. Long story short, UPS are bad but Ferrari Spa are crooks. :thumbsdown:

Hope your watch finds its way to you !

3. Au79 Aluminium Jan 25, 2019

How about Parcel Pro? They are an extension of UPS but seem to be more secure. Any horror stories with Parcel Pro?

4. kov Trüffelschwein. Jan 25, 2019

I'd love to. Can't open an account. They say their service is not available in Switzerland and there's no plan / roadmap in that sense.

KingCrouchy likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 25, 2019

There are other courier services.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jan 25, 2019

I use them, but only with FedEx. It has become more complicated since UPS acquired the company, though, which sucks.

7. Faz Jan 25, 2019

I'm a little at fault here. I usually insist that sellers in the USA use USPS registered insured mail. Safe and slow but effective. For some reason I forgot to ask. I always instruct sellers NOT to use any courrier company.

We managed to track down the package and retrieve it from the driver. And again, he never asked for a signature...

Cheers,

noelekal, rbob99 and about3blank like this.
  8. Au79 Aluminium Jan 25, 2019

From my experience, USPS is the worst of the bunch. That's just me.

airansun likes this.
  9. Evitzee Jan 25, 2019

If you want protection in the US USPS is the safest way to go as you can get up to $50,000 worth of coverage. They are slow, the tracking is poor, but they are SAFE and reliable to get the watch from place to place. UPS and FedEx will sell you insurance for your watch but won't pay if it goes missing (read the max coverage in their terms for jewelry and watches). ParcelPro seems to be a headache unless you are in the biz, they don't like dealing with individuals as a rule.

Faz likes this.
  10. Faz Jan 25, 2019

Sorry to hear that. They never failed me. I also like the idea that you can insure to 10k...

What was your experience?

11. hungdangnguyen23 Jan 25, 2019

This is easily the majority opinion but I've luckily never had issues with them so far as a seller or a buyer (crosses fingers).

12. Au79 Aluminium Jan 25, 2019

I mean I don't mean specifically watch shipments. I do a lot of shipping for work and USPS over the years lost quite a few packages. Whenever I tried to collect on the insurance, they gave me the run around. They ended up paying for most of them in the end but took forever and a lot of frustrating follow ups. A few they never paid. When I tried to petition them, they sent me a letter saying that their decision was final and I could not even petition. FedEx never lost a package of mine so far but I really don't ship with them that much. I used UPS for majority of shipments for many years and they will pay but they want to see a lot of documents like commercial invoice, source, and others I can't remember now. I jumped to Parcel Pro a few years back and IMO, they are great. Someone will always pickup the phone and never gave me the runaround. I think that is saying a lot in the shipping business.

13. airansun In the shuffling madness Jan 25, 2019

USPS is only carrier to have lost a package sent to me. Every other service, stuff showed up.

USPS lost a registered package being shipped within California within 24 hours of receiving it. Never showed up. A 105.012-66 HF I won on eBay nine months ago. Seller ate that one.

Given a choice, FedEx or DHL please.

Nathan1967 and ATWG like this.
  14. Avav1 Jan 25, 2019

you should ship it to you work address, if there is always someone there to sign...

BlackTalon likes this.
  15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jan 25, 2019

Exactly

16. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Jan 25, 2019

I use Parcel Pro + Fedex. None are perfect, but so far this combo has been trouble free.

Nathan1967, SuperHero and Archer like this.
  17. ATWG Jan 25, 2019

+1 for Parcel Pro / FedEx combo.

Today I finally received my package from CAN. It was shipped PP+FedEx and was stuck in customs for a week. The whole time I was in contact with a FedEx case worker walking me through the arduous process. Although, quite annoying, there was a level of comfort in having customs officers contact info for assurance.

No way this level of service would be possible with USPS or UPS for that matter.

SuperHero and airansun like this.
  18. Au79 Aluminium Jan 25, 2019

That's great news ATWG. I am glad you got the package now.

ATWG likes this.
  19. Davidt Jan 26, 2019

I'm in the uk and use parcelpro. I managed to set this is as an individual last year without any issues but I understand they won't set up accounts in many other European countries.

20. Joe_A Jan 26, 2019

I recently sent one of my watches for factory service. (Gallet)

A bit nervous, I called to make sure the watch had been received. It turned out that the delivery point was not the shop itself, but rather a Fed-Ex office.

A manager at the shop explained that, no matter how many times they have asked the carrier not to leave packages on the doorstep, packages would be found at the door and obviously not signed for. One resulting loss is a loss too many.

Eventually it was decided to receive the packages at the depot and have an employee of the shop pick them up twice a week.

It may be safer just to ship a valuable with instructions for the recipient to pick it up at the carrier location - when the inconvenience factor is not too large?