Forums Latest Members

for those that would never buy a redial

1. Fattony Jan 23, 2017

Ok guys this maybe contentious and I start by saying I respect everyone opinion but when something is this beautiful how can it be wrong !

Thoughts welcome

Cheers Tony IMG_1340.JPG IMG_1341.JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 23, 2017

Just imagine how much more beautiful an original would be...

watchthirst, Dero13, NT931 and 3 others like this.
  3. Fattony Jan 23, 2017

Don't tell me you dislike this watch or at least appreciate the skill in the work?

4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 23, 2017

Buy it if it speaks to you, just don't pay as much as you would for an original dial.

Jwit, Lonestar, George.A and 2 others like this.
  5. Fattony Jan 23, 2017

All credit mate because ultimately that's what its about
    Cheers

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 23, 2017

Hope that price tag isn't what you paid......

7. ConElPueblo Jan 23, 2017

That price...

Is there a comma or something that I can't see?

Jwit likes this.
  8. tyrantlizardrex Jan 23, 2017

It's not a great redial... so not only do I not like it, but I also do not appreciate the "skill" involved.

And to add a little more since you changed the title of the thread... I wouldn't buy a redial... there's so many original watches out there... why bother with something less than original?

Edited Jan 23, 2017
    Jwit, watchthirst, Dero13 and 6 others like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 23, 2017

Hi...If you have bought this, you are obviously looking to validate that its ok that this is a redial. Redials / refinished dials are IMO not a bad thing if well done and they bring a watch back from the dead. We have examples for instance of some very nice factory work by JLC here and a stunning Longines 30CH dial commissioned by a member. The cardinal sin is selling a watch for fine vintage money without disclosing it as a redial which sadly is too often done. If you are really bothered by this, and I would be for that money, take it back. No collector is going to buy this.

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 23, 2017

Well, if you like it buy it.

I love collecting and I buy what I like. But I also buy with the intent on preserving capital. I will tell you my experience over the last 4+ years in collecting. For me, the original watches I have bought and sold have been sold for equal or more than what I have paid. The redials and service dials watches I have bought and sold have not.

I will not buy a redial, no matter how good. Are there exceptions? Not for me, there are too many other watches that are not redials/service dials on the market.

Retsamaes, Jwit, SpeedyPhill and 2 others like this.
  11. cristos71 Jan 23, 2017

I was thinking, no make that hoping, the same! :eek:

I would think it possible, if patient and perseverant, to find one in the same condition with an original dial for around the half of that price and personally I wouldn't want to pay even a third of the asking. For £3000/€3500 I'd be looking for, at the very least, a solid 18kt early Seamaster or Constellation chronometer in excellent shape, with a waffle dial or maybe even a Connie Deluxe if lucky.

12. Fattony Jan 23, 2017

Ok guys as I said I value and respect everyone's opinions which is why I threw this out there .
    In regard to Larry's post I agree honesty and integrity are invaluable.
    Me I love this watch and can honestly say it was carried out by probably the best in the uk but I accept its not for everyone ,just as a watch that looks like it has been run over by a steam roller that sells for £8000 in an auction today may not be flavour of the month in five years time,
    We are all different and tastes change
    Cheers tony

13. Edward53 Jan 23, 2017

"Omega Automatic" is done well enough and at least the minute markers are properly spaced. However the "Seamaster" text is very clumsy and the dial finish looks oddly new and somehow not quite right, a bit like a wall someone painted white but could only be bothered to do one coat. Even if this is solid 18K that price is ludicrous considering that with a bit of patience good original examples can be found for less money. Personally I just don't like it but as you say, tastes differ.

14. U5512 Jan 23, 2017

I wouldn't go anywhere near that $2995 price tag.

15. cristos71 Jan 24, 2017

It's £ not $, so actually $3750!

And OP are you the buyer or actually the seller? It's not quite clear to me....

ConElPueblo and dsio like this.
  16. ConElPueblo Jan 24, 2017

I'd say it's pretty clear.

ac106 likes this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 24, 2017

To clarify, I believe he's the seller. This would appear to be his first attempt at astroturfing, and among the things I was concerned about when we discussed his new business enterprise after I removed his original advertisement thread.

I'm inclined to leave this one up however as a £2995 price tag on a rather poor Seamaster redial is more likely to serve as a warning than as a marketing tool.

Jwit, Traveler, Archer and 7 others like this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Jan 24, 2017

Like heads on spikes at The Tower of London...

Traveler and Buckeyes#1 like this.
  19. ConElPueblo Jan 24, 2017

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  20. tyrantlizardrex Jan 24, 2017

So to make sure I understand exactly what's going on here.

Not a fellow watch nerd, but very clearly a dealer out to make as much money as possible, even if it means selling redialed pieces of shit at 4 times the market rate to unsuspecting buyers.

Did I miss anything?

X350 XJR, Tritium, ac106 and 4 others like this.