Forums Latest Members

For The Same Money, Daytona or AP ROC?

1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 10, 2015

I'm developing a goal watch (already landed the grail watch).
    For the same money, would you rather have a Rolex 116520 Daytona with a 4130 Rolex movement, or an Audemars Piguet 25860 Royal Oak chronograph (39mm) with a Frederic Piguet caliber 1185?
    For the record, I have owned the Rolex, and it remains one of my top three favorite personally owned watches (with my grail Patek Philippe 5980 Nautilus chrono and (no judgement please, I like what I like!) an IWC Porsche Design Titan chrono with the (enhanced) Valjoux 7750).
    Clearly I'm a chronograph-nut. I did own an AP Moonphase but the dial wasn't my style. I did love the Royal Oak Genta-ness of the bracelet and case, so odds are I would love the AP ROC too.
    Between the Daytona and ROC, which one and why? And who would throw in a VC Overseas chrono for a few bucks more and get that one instead? (Unsure if I like the VC or just appreciate that freakin' awesome bracelet integrating part of the Maltese cross logo).
    Apologies to anyone who is put off by these "this-or-that" posts. It's a guilty pleasure of mine but I respect that it turns a lot of members "off." :) And I thought the Omega forum may have more impartiality that a Rolex-biased forum. Thanks in advance!

2. Slipstreamer Aug 10, 2015

IMHO I really like the VC Overseas Chrono (either gray or silver). The Daytona is a little small for my wrist (which is why I went went my titanium Speedy with date & GMT) as a chrono. I also like the "low-profile" looks of the VC. Best of luck!

Time Exposure likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2015

Daytona, the AP bezel is too much of a dent magnet (like the Nautilus) and expensive to boot, Daytona bezels (and cases/bracelets for that matter) polish up really easily and a replacement bezel is actually not that pricey. You need the second watch to be one you don't care about dinging as much as the PP imo.

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 10, 2015

I have the Daytona and love it. I would rather look for a Vintage model but the right one at the right price has not come my way yet.

It's an impossible comparison with the AP or the nautilus for that matter because they simply fill different brackets IMO. it's like deciding between a great car or a great bike...

I admit I would love to have an AP or Nautilus and perhaps they are a little bit more special than a modern Daytona so if I had to choose today over my modern Daytona and the AP I'd get the AP and keep looking for a vintage Daytona that makes me tickle. It's the same way I felt about the Speedy I had...it was just the new modern 1861 Speedy. nothing special and nothing I can't get tomorrow so I let it go because I rather find a good vintage example and even then, for the money they cost, there are other great choices out there first. The modern Daytona is a great watch, but nothing really that special IMO.

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 10, 2015

Hmmm...three responses, one for each of the two plus the bonus!
    I agree the ROC has the potential to be an even greater scratch magnet than the Nautilus, but I'm pretty careful (famous last words).
    The Daytona at a true 38-point something millimeters is on the low side of perfect for me. My wrist measures 7.5" but I can wear anything from a 34mm dress watch to a 42mm sport watch and be comfortable. Anything smaller or bigger depends on the design/fit.
    I've never handled the ROC or VCO. I might need to try them on and listen for the choir of angels singing...
    OK! Who else is leaning toward one of the two/three?

6. Fost Aug 11, 2015

what is the question ??? :)

image3 (2).JPG

7. SeanO Aug 11, 2015

what about say... the Breguet type XXI or XX?

in the ball park size and price wise?

Traveler likes this.
  8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 11, 2015

Much to love about the Zenith-powered Daytona (besides the obvious superb power plant!). I much prefer the white ring sub-dials on the Zeniths to the silver on the 4130/116520, and even more when they're creamy like yours.
    I still prefer the Rolex movement. Something tells me Rolex will be able to service a 4130 long after they stop supporting the 4030, but (for your sake and that of the collecting community) I hope I'm wrong.

9. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 11, 2015

I like the look, and have handled a gold one on bracelet (YUM). But the heart wants what it wants, and the Breguet is on my personal B-List, even though it's an A-list watch in the real watch world.

10. sliceoftime_ Aug 11, 2015

Daytona!