Forums Latest Members

For the Hi-Fi enthusiasts among us...

1. enjoythemusic Dec 1, 2019

May i simply plead the 5th :) Many here might be familiar with my username, and if not please check out this little website i started decades ago. We're giving away Sony headphones this month within our December 2019 contest. ::psy::

www.EnjoyTheMusic.com

2. rob#1 Dec 1, 2019

Great to see those Onix components - I remember selling quite a few of those when they first came out. Great company to deal with, and great sounding amps :thumbsup:.
    Can’t go wrong with a Planar 3 either, I wish I’d kept my lime green one...

tintin34 likes this.
  3. tintin34 Dec 1, 2019

Agree - I still love the ONIX sound. Took me a while to get the SOAP and specially the BWD Tuner was tricky to find.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 1, 2019

I like your site and recently recommended it to a friend who was looking to get back into audio.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 1, 2019

Hearing them is just as good, if not better. I always get a kick when people come over and see that I have this set-up, and ask them to tell me what their favourite song is. I find it on Tidal, put it on and watch their reactions - they always hear things in the music that they didn't know was actually there. It brings me back to the first time that happened to me many many years ago...

sxl2004 and Larry S like this.
  6. nlogax Dec 1, 2019

After a long series of apartment (and country) moves over the last couple of years I've had to slim down my stuff and hifi went long ago. Somewhat heretically, I really like my HomePod now for the lounge - it's very compact, voice controlled and the adaptive EQ (it monitors room response and shapes the sound to fit) honestly makes it sound great!

7. Lazy_Lightning Dec 1, 2019

Vinnie changed the branding a few years ago, right about that time he also moved away from battery-based products. I had an RWA Signature 30.2 a few years ago, really impressive amp for short money. The LIO was on another level though, even the integrated DAC 2 was superb.

I like the Audeze, I have the LCD-X. They are heavy but I have a big head--so it balances out.

larryganz likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 1, 2019

Does the Selekt come with the Room Optimization system? If so, what were your experiences setting it up?

9. tintin34 Dec 1, 2019

Yes - Selekt comes with space optimization.

The setup was done by my LINN dealer and it took about an hour. Measurmemt of the listening room and adding the various materialization of alle the room details took the about half of the time (pretty tricky and edgy room with glass walls, wood, concrete etc.) - My pleasure was just the before and after listening session..... it was amazing!

Archer and Ian_km like this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 2, 2019

An hour is pretty fast. Mine took a lot longer, as you first find the ideal speaker placement in the room (same as you would with any system set-up) and then input all the room parameters, and only after that move the speakers to where you want them to be for practical living purposes, and the system will make them sound like they are in the ideal spot. Then you tweak the sound from there. Took at least 4 hours for mine.

There was a wonderful thread on the old Linn forum that had a detailed procedure for all of this, but unfortunately the forum was closed down, so all that is lost.

11. Whattimeisit Dec 3, 2019

Great system for listening to hi-res audio!

I have a suggestion to make this system much nicer with minimum cost. Hire an electrician to move the wall outlet directly behind your rack.

Looks are important.
    :)

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2019

Already done when I put in the dedicated circuit....

madjestikmoose likes this.
  13. Whattimeisit Dec 3, 2019

Awesome - please post an updated picture.

14. mjb Dec 4, 2019

Aw heck, I did a multi-reply quote thing, and messed up. Oh well. You guys that I tried to quote, you know who you are. LOL.

Great thread, thanks for sharing and all those great pics. I'll just add that I too grew up with a Dad big into "hi fi" and as a child of the 60s I remember when he bought his first "stereo" record (it was "Meet The Beatles") and tried to explain to me how awesome it was.

In the past few years I've been replacing some of my older equipment that was starting to flake out, but the biggest improvement I made was just a few months ago when I bought a new cartridge for my AR turntable. It's like I'm rediscovering my music again!

Larry S likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 4, 2019

Uh...okay...

[​IMG]

You can see the new outlet behind the rack...

JanV likes this.
  16. larryganz The cable guy Dec 4, 2019

But now he's gonna want you to wrap up all the wires or hide them.

Spacefruit likes this.
  17. bikehomero Dec 5, 2019

As with the watches, I am also a fan of the 60s and 70s with hifi equipment. Sony's old technology is very popular with me.

DSC_0593_1.JPG

ChrisN, George.A, Uncle Meat and 7 others like this.
  18. pnwyankee Dec 11, 2019

STAX SRD-6/SB Adaptor for Headphones + STAX SR-80 electret earspeaker ( headphones )

These have been tucked away in a drawer for more than 20 years
    I thought I would check in here to see if they have enough value to be worth selling ( and where?)
    Third pic is of a very long STAX extension I also own
    All items are in near mint condition - basically never used
    Thanks,
    Bob

A few quick iPhone pics.....

IMG_1414.jpg IMG_1412.jpg IMG_1413.jpg

rob#1 and larryganz like this.
  19. Lazy_Lightning Dec 11, 2019

Such a great vintage system.

bikehomero likes this.
  20. divetime Dec 13, 2019

About 30 years in my sideboard...