Forums Latest Members

For the Hi-Fi enthusiasts among us...

1. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Nov 27, 2019

Always remember the most important component of a hi-fi setup - the one that will add the most value to the quality of sound - is the source.

Wryfox likes this.
  2. scapa Nov 27, 2019

I build a lot of my own gear nowadays, but here's what we listen to en famille...

IMG_8084.jpg IMG_8086.jpg IMG_8085.jpg

Prestonwastaken, Plees, 30t1 and 19 others like this.
  3. Lazy_Lightning Nov 27, 2019

Al: I found that my amps sounded better connected directly to the wall as well, however, my digital gear benefited from a power conditioner (Synergistic Research PowerCell 10).

marco likes this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 27, 2019

My setup is similar. And I had two dedicated 20 amp circuits run when the family room was being built (the electrician thought I was crazy).

5. Engee Nov 27, 2019

Always enjoyed a good sound although my set up is pretty mid-range. I inherited a fair amount of kit from my grandfather that kicked the separates collection off. It’s been through a few changes since. The only piece remaining is the Quad 306 power amp which is teamed with Croft valve pre-amp. Croft is, or was, a one man operation somewhere in the English countryside.

The turntable is an entry level Pro-Ject - it’s next in line for upgrading. I quite fancy a Linn.

The CD player is a Musical Fidelity A3 and the headphone amp is also Musical Fidelity.

The last upgrade was the speakers. Like others have experienced, Mrs Engee told me the floor standing Rogers Studio speakers were taking up too much room so I sold them and put up a nice pair of compact B&W wall speakers.

965C820F-0BB5-4E66-BE01-35C6CE412DE7.jpeg
    Plees, CTS-V, Larry S and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2019

Hi guys

totally fantastic .. if off I am not an audiophile !

I just really like this gear ..... my dad was sort of on rye business .... back in the 60/ 70’s was a RCA super tube distributor he rack tube testing machines up and down the east and west coast of the USA then later sold his company to Arrow Electronics ....

But back to listening

here a pic of my living room ..

06381C85-6F7F-4F5F-9C08-29B03259EADD.jpeg

https://ohmspeaker.com/news/how-big-is-a-big-room/

more later

best
    Bill

Evitzee, nlogax, ewanbcn and 4 others like this.
  7. gefmey Nov 27, 2019

Nice Arco light

8. Lazy_Lightning Nov 27, 2019

9. eatabagel Nov 27, 2019

I currently stream Spotify to my Chromecast Audio, and I'm well aware of how I'm streaming at a relatively low bitrate. Looking into Tidal, but Amazon is now also offering lossless "hi-def" streaming. Not sure who to go with.

10. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2019

Hi guys

I am back

I am friends with the owner of Ohm ( they are my next store neighbor! ).

my main room has the Walsh 5 that john upgraded to super Walsh 5 LE ....
    running w Carver sevenT mono blocks solid state at 565 watts/ channel .... using a Node2 for streaming also have a oppo 205 for docs and local streaming ... TD-115 turntable ....

My home office using a pair of Walsh Super 2 s w a upgraded Carver M1.0t ( mk II opt II )by Greg at Neilon Audio 480 watts / channel .... another oppo bd-205 and a TD-124 mkii w sme 3009 series II .

Office
    I have 5 more systems

dq-10 w mc 2105 c-28 , TD-150 , tandberg tcd-300 Logitech sqeezebox touch ...

Mc xr5 w mc 2205 mx113 , TD-124 , optimus CD-3400 , Node2 , and a modi 2 dac ....

retiliner 12 Sansui stereo seven , TD-125 w Rabco 8 tonearm .... another squeez ox a d a carver cd-390 t tube CD player ....

Dq-30i and Polk rta-12b on a nak SR-4a w Amazon dot

back offfice

Large advents w nak TA-4 ( not a 4a) so it’s a world wide unit multi power and made in Japan as opposed to the TA-4a Twain ... and another amazon dot.

and the beat goes on !

Good hunting

bill

30t1, Omega-Q and Tony C. like this.
  11. Lazy_Lightning Nov 27, 2019

I need to upgrade my friends.

Plees, mjb, ajn3323 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Evitzee Nov 27, 2019

I've got a pair of Ohm speakers similar to yours that I bought about 12 years ago. Ohm had a pair of 1974-era Ohm F Brazilian rosewood cabinets fitted with their newest Walsh-style drivers. Beautiful sound, too bad most people aren't aware of them or the concept behind them. You get a lot for your money.

Edited Nov 27, 2019
  13. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 27, 2019

Your right about that one !

check out the “ beta “ products ohm F-5015 !

walsh series 5 driver with 15 inch powered subs !!

What is really great about the product line ..

It’s not. good, better , best ....

Depending on the size of the room your looking to fill with music you need a different size Walsh driver !! Same sound experience .... just bigger for a bigger room they all have the same great level of sound ...

I don’t mean to sound like a sales guy .... but the way they present .... some people dont get it ...

at the ny audio show

they showed a old pair of what looked like Walsh 2 from the 1980s but they were actually factory upgraded to Walsh Super 2 s! And weee be driven by a Carver M1.0t that was upgraded mkii option at 480 watts aside ! And a upgraded carver c-1 preamp . I happen to know this detail as I loaned them the Carver equipment for the show !

showing that you can put a nice rig together without breaking the bank ....

It’s thought to demo 3 k speakers using 15k with of amps and such ... kind of silly

so the carver rig is about 1600. And super 2 are like 2600 a pair.....

you Might be able to go cheaper by finding a non work m1.0t and getting it upgraded by Neilon Audio ! And same with finding a old c-1 you can get him to bring it back to life !

mon the Walsh 2 ... you can find an old pair locally and buy them . then Either trade them in towards a new set of Walsh speakers or get the. Do upgrade them to spire 2s!!!!

really amazing stuff

good hunting

bill

Larry S likes this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 27, 2019

I’m going to add vibration damping pads to this list especially on hardwood or composite floors. Record clamps too.

15. sxl2004 Nov 27, 2019

To me HiFi is all about how the music makes me feel. i give a crap about truthfulness. If the music makes me cry (for joy and emotions) or dance along (though nobody is to see this) the system is right. That what I liked about DYI: you tune it to what you like.

marco and Larry S like this.
  16. larryganz The cable guy Nov 27, 2019

Nice - But when you say "had" I assume it's all gone now?

I still occasionally use my HD600, but have not unboxed my HD6XX yet (Drop.com version of the HD650, but I was never a big fan of the 650 and it's veiled treble). The new HD660s are quite nice sounding for the lower price than flagship headphones - if you like the HD600 you should like the HD660s and you don't need an upgraded amp to drive them!

17. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 27, 2019

I'm interested to hear how you like the HD6XXs. I have not used headphones for quite a few years, but I am hoping to play around with a setup at my PC using a Dragonfly and I'd prefer not to fork out $1k for a set of headphones if there are some decent ones for a bit less. I've followed the Drop on an off for the last few months but reviews are all over the place.

18. larryganz The cable guy Nov 28, 2019

I'll have to unbox the HD6XX this weekend after thanksgiving, but I suspect that I'll still prefer my older HD600 (I bought 11 years ago) or the newer HD660s that I tried at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last September (at the same time I bought my HD800s and now my son has my HD800). The HD660s are definitely a good sound for the price - audiophile quality bang for the buck. My old HD600 are great but just like the HD650 they require a good amplifier with a high voltage swing to drive them - they suck out of an iPhone unlike the HD660s.

19. berlin90 Nov 28, 2019

Plees, Deafboy, wagudc and 5 others like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 28, 2019

Agree. I do believe there is a tipping point where my old concert damaged ears can’t detect incremental improvement. I like what I see and hear so no need to upgrade. Just maintain. EG Swap optical interconnect for analog ...TV to Receiver. Finally install that headphone pre amp I bought years ago. Etc.

sxl2004 likes this.