Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doublebogey Wants to rewrite the rules! Oct 20, 2015

Does anyone here think the for sale rules are a bit extreme? I just signed up, but I frequent this site and rolex forums. I would rather sell a watch to someone that actually knows and appreciates what they are buying as opposed to ebay or craigslist.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2015

I'm a bit biased but no I don't think they're extreme, the basis is that if you've come here and nobody knows you, and you've got no proof of who you are or your track record you can't list an item for sale.

When you have 200 posts you have access, or if you need access sooner and have established members who can vouch for you, or can prove to our satisfaction who you are then we can manually waive that rule as we do probably once or twice per week on average.

If we allowed anyone with a gmail address to ask for thousands of dollars for watches that may or may not exist, we would be idiots to be honest.

cristos71, hugo, UncleBuck and 19 others like this.
  3. RawArcher Measures thread drift on the Richter Scale Oct 20, 2015

Better question is why would anyone show up with their first post and question the rules? Lurking days count for zero.

Truth is, if you had a sense of people (at all)....or you paid any attention during your lurking days, you'd know all you had to do was make a few posts, quietly ask the mods for an exemption (with refs and via PM).....and you'd be selling here in no time.

Join in the conversation. Slow down. Relax.

yinzerniner, hugo, Buckeyes#1 and 6 others like this.
  4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 20, 2015

And set yourself an avatar :)

^ Edit by dsio to add the smilie :)

5. repoman Oct 20, 2015

No.

Archer, styggpyggeno1 and Taddyangle like this.
  6. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 20, 2015

I don't think they are extreme at all. The mods made a decision to require you to participate before you can sell (you can always request a waiver). You get to know us, we get to know you. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

7. shutterlife Oct 20, 2015

I don't think it's extreme at all.

8. ulackfocus Oct 20, 2015

If you saw how many scammers we outed in less than a year, you wouldn't be questioning the rules at all. The 200 post count minimum stands to protect our members - and we police it, making sure no idiot post farms to get there in a short period of time.

No, that's okay - one will "appear" soon enough if he or she doesn't. :D

Taddyangle likes this.
  9. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 20, 2015

There were so many reports of people being scammed prior to that rule. This rule seemed to have worked, I don't think anyone that was a member back then would disagree.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  10. doublebogey Wants to rewrite the rules! Oct 20, 2015

I can understand that these days there are plenty of scammers out there. At the same time there are those like myself, I don't think I would ever get to the point where I have made 200 posts on a forum over the course of years. I was going to put a watch I have on eBay, and found that many others have sold the same watch here in the past, not knowing myself that it is somewhat a rare watch. I guess for myself, I just see the 200 post requirement and to me that means I would never be able to sell a watch here.

11. Traveler Oct 20, 2015

+1.... Saw the OP post right after it came up, and my reply was going to have similar sentiments, but it was not going to be nearly as polite.... Decided to let cooler heads prevail...

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2015

As I mentioned if you have references from past watch deals we can verify, or members here that can vouch for you we can help with that too and skip the 200 posts.

styggpyggeno1 and Taddyangle like this.
  13. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 20, 2015

I think the rule works just fine.

JohnSteed and styggpyggeno1 like this.
  14. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 20, 2015

Says the guy that buys a watch every 4.7 days.

Please do share more on your thread how you were able to do this amazing feat. :)

15. doublebogey Wants to rewrite the rules! Oct 20, 2015

I understand that there is no question this rule would pretty much stop scammers, it also essentially stops a lot of people like myself that may not have the desire to constantly comment on forums. I like to browse and for the most part just see what other watches people have or what their collection may include. Rules are rules, I get that. I just have never looked before, and have never seen such a drastic rule for selling on any forum before.

16. doublebogey Wants to rewrite the rules! Oct 20, 2015

You sir or ma'am, would be the definition of why I do not frequently comment or post on forum sites. Someone asks a basic question, and they more often than not get attacked by at least one person who doesn't share their views. I appreciate the fact that you at least were able to control yourself and allow someone to answer my question reasonably.

17. ulackfocus Oct 20, 2015

We're not asking anyone to agree. The rule is in place and it works as designed. Again, if you have references you can PM them to a moderator and that will be passed on to the team who decide if you're okay to make an exception. Seriously, you'd spend less time sending a PM than posting from the soap box.

JohnSteed, RawArcher and dougiedude like this.
  18. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 20, 2015

I like this forum and I find it frustrating that someone arrives and wants to join only to sell a watch and then suggests one of the few rules here is extreme. This place is all about the free flow of information, we will comment on and give our opinions on prices (most other forums do not allow this) we are allowed to comment in the positive and negative on watches for sale something else other places do not allow. If you want to see some rules take a look at timezone UK.
    You are probably not a scammer, you seem like a reasonable chap but if you ran the forum and one of your members lost $1,000's through an ad on your forum, how would you feel? What action would you take?

Lou P, Davidt, RawArcher and 2 others like this.
  19. watchcollect Oct 20, 2015

@douglebogey.
    With 4 post in 3 hrs of joining your certainly doing much better then I. At this rate your going to pass the rules in no time. Stick around if you want..or don't. This forum isn't like the others because it's unique and well moderated. Lots of amazing info at the tip of your fingers and It's certainly up to you what happens next.

20. watchcollect Oct 20, 2015

Aaaaaahhh, where is @Cornolio when you need him?

Edited Oct 20, 2015
    Jonatan and Traveler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.