Forums Latest Members
  1. OMTOM Jan 3, 2018

Every watch has a story to tell

Just a bit of fun.

I offer this thread in tribute to UncleBuck’s views on vintage watches (with which I agree). Hello @UncleBuck

Yes, every watch has a story (or many stories) to tell. Sadly, with only a few exceptions, I have no idea what my watches have experienced over the years. So that’s it then – oh no! I’ll just have to make up my own stories.

For example, who do you think carried the following?

18'''.jpg
    Calibre 18’’’LOB, ref. CD181cc, 1923.

I offer a few ideas…

His name was Algernon Cholmondeley (pronounced ‘Chummly'), known to his friends as Algy. Certainly wealthy, even a bit of a cad. Very flamboyant and always an eye for the girls – or maybe what the girls would notice. This was his favourite pocket watch.

Algy.jpg
    Meantime, his sweetheart Priscilla sported a watch that her father had given her for her 21st birthday.
    9'''.jpg
    Calibre 9’’’SOBS, ref 794.9, 1916

Priscilla.jpg

Both Algy and Priscilla had many friends. Please contribute if any of your beauties belonged to this little clique – with suitable narrative of course.

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 3, 2018

Thanks, Tom, I need cheering up!

This old boy is inscribed Albert M. Daly, August 23,1918.

While visiting the WW1 Museum in Kansas City, I was speaking to a curator about his watch display and trench watches in general. We got around to my old watch, he gets on the computer and pulls Mr. Daly up!
    He prints out his draft registration and notes that he was drafted on August 23, 1918.

Well, I've researched some info but I feel almost as if I'm nosing about others business, so I've held back.
    Draft records show that he applied for an exemption for family hardship but was denied (same luck I had in '71 with the flat feet and heart murmur).

Mr. Daly entered service on Aug 23 and it does appear that Mr. Daly's Army unit made it as far as the New York area and was awaiting deployment when the Armistice was signed.
    On some records he listed himself as a former service member for a few years and then on later census records listed no military service.

I withhold family and hometown info.

I consider Mr. Daly a hero.

By the way, where did I get the watch?....from a pawn shop in New York of course! They must have had it a looong time.

The Watch:

Measures 32.5 mm and houses the 13"' S-7 I believe, although the winding stop isn't where it should be?
    4126526 serial number 1910-1915.
    Nickel cased with numerals but no markings.

Thanks, @OMTOM!

Apologies for poor photo's
    IMGP4420.JPG P1020643.JPG P1020642.JPG -1.jpg

3. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jan 3, 2018

Very nice, please let us see it more often :thumbsup:

Nathan1967 likes this.
  4. OMTOM Jan 4, 2018

Your reference to the winding stop (I would call it the click) not being ‘where it should be’ is, I assume, in comparison with the illustration in AJTT.

The clicks on all my calibre 13S movements are on the crown side of the wheel, like yours (AJTT shows it on the balance side). I can only assume that both versions existed and that only one is shown in AJTT.

Cal.13S click.png

All the other Omega calibers from this period have the click on the crown side (calibers 9/11/12/15/17/18/19/20) – only the Cal.13’’’ is shown with the click on the balance side.

I previously corresponded with Yann about this. He replied with an image of two of his cal.13s showing each version – but all the others in his collection were like yours, with the click on the crown side. @Tire-comedon
    Tom

Tire-comedon likes this.