Forums Latest Members
  1. PRW Aug 14, 2020

Every Seamaster I have owned since 1988 has lost money!
    Why do we buy them?
    Because we love them xxx

reverbtime and Thrasher36 like this.
  2. Meme-Dweller Aug 14, 2020

How do you feel about cars?

M'Bob, 8100_RPM, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  3. PRW Aug 14, 2020

Well, that does depend on what you buy?

4. Iceter Aug 14, 2020

You don't lose money if you never sell them.

Happy, pianomankd, jzra and 9 others like this.
  5. Capt Cave Man Aug 14, 2020

Once you have bought a piece, you have already spent/lost the money and you have a material item.

For me, I buy because I enjoy a piece that sings out to me, I'm proud to wear and get a kick knowing what it is and that nearly all around don't. I cannot afford to buy many and don't plan to swap in or out, at least not in the foreseeable...

Yes, it's a love thing - hopefully mine will be treated in a similar vein by the next generation... any monitory value will be theirs to do as they see fit.

6. michael22 Aug 14, 2020

Unless you service them.

7. EricCsN Aug 14, 2020

Good pt Meme. And if I could borrow this thunder, how do feel about vacations (Emphasise plural form )?

8. kelsey Aug 14, 2020

Any day I get to trade worthless pieces of paper (or numbers on a screen) for a nice shinny new watch is a good day ;)

STANDY, Thrasher36 and murph like this.
  9. Icnbne Aug 14, 2020

Its just that- a hobby
    that said, ive yet to lose money on an omega- kept them long enough that the retail price jumped many times raising the price of the used ones

eg i bought my first speedy for about $2500aud used, 5 years later sold it for 3300.

bought a new speedy for 4850aud, now used are going for about that, in a couple of years, itll be worth well above what i paid.

same story with my bond seamaster and first gen PO back in the days

pete91m likes this.
  10. Walrus Aug 14, 2020

Maybe I should listen to my wife and I can save a lot of money. I was looking at WRUW thread and was admiring the newer seamasters. She asked me what I was looking at and I showed her someone’s seamaster on the thread and told her that’s the watch I want to pick up one day. She told me I already have one. She then pointed to my skx007 and said “look, it has a black bezel, it’s shiny, the dial is a little different besides that’s it’s the same thing I told you you already have one.” I tried to explain the difference but she said no one can tell they look the same. I guess if I wear my skx and someone asks me what I’m wearing I’ll tell them it’s the seamaster I always wanted. If they question me further they can call my wife and she can explain since they both have black bezels you can’t tell the difference. I guess it’s worth a try. I’ll post my seiko seamaster in WRUW tomorrow

pete91m likes this.
  11. reverbtime Aug 14, 2020

I will probably never sell my SMPc, but time will tell when a service is needed.

12. Icnbne Aug 14, 2020

Im more impressed your wife is astute and informed enough about watches to know what a bezel, dial and case finishing is

Sorry to say, think its check and mate

Walrus and STANDY like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 14, 2020

I like your wife and agree.

Taking up Scuba Diving is your only chance now. :whistling:

Walrus likes this.
  14. stuart70 Aug 15, 2020

Mine said a similar thing and added that all it did was tell the time. Her Garmin did a lot of other things as well.
    The logic was undeniable.

Walrus likes this.
  15. Icnbne Aug 15, 2020

My wife used to be cool
    She now realises watch collecting is never ending and is not only a poor monetary investment, but also time..

16. PRW Aug 15, 2020

Ok, perhaps my OP should have read:
    My Omega Seamaster haven't made any money over the years.
    SMP 200 bought in 1989 £800, sold in 2014 for £400.
    SMP 300 bought in 1998 £720, sold in 2012 fo £1180, so 14 years using the principles of economics, didn't really make money.
    I think the point I was trying to make is that an Omega is NOT an investment piece and we all simply buy them because we love them?

3rdstringholder and Walrus like this.
  17. Walrus Aug 15, 2020

I agree with you although I am sure a number of members to buy as investments I would think most of us buy what we like. I did ask around here if a speedy date I bought might hold its value but in the end no one has a crystal ball.

18. janice&fred Aug 15, 2020

I do and it says "sell fred your watches on the cheap before your wife remembers where she put her rolling pin".

Walrus likes this.
  19. Walrus Aug 15, 2020

Ya I bought that simple Hamilton I showed you but I have a seiko Someone is selling when it is done being serviced now I need to follow the tracking and head off any deliveries, I’ll take my lumps when the credit card comes rather than taking them on delivery and on the credit card bill arriving. It’s a harm reduction method I incorporate

janice&fred likes this.
  20. 3rdstringholder Aug 16, 2020

That is exactly the same harm reduction method I employ when purchasing golf clubs. All about timing.

Walrus likes this.