Forums Latest Members

For All You Blemished/tropical Dial Lovers..

1. avantnoire Dec 11, 2012

A3817 getting a break today..amazing what the Rolex tropical lovers have been offering me for this watch..sorry..not for sale!:D
    [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    David

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Dec 11, 2012

Nice piece. It's amazing to me though that "tropical dials" no matter what the brand have a following and tend to fetch higher prices than their similarly conditioned brethren.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 11, 2012

Well, in the case of vintage Primeros, tropical dials had no following before David. He is single-handedly creating the market. To be sure, he found a very nice example - mellow cocoa color, very even, nice creamy lume and the metalwork is beyond reproach. Then there is his photography....

I must say, I am warming to the idea.

For anyone who wants to try their luck, there's one on the 'bay from Mr. f.q.watches, but to my eye, the color is less cocoa than what the french call caca d'oie
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZENITH-EL-P...533287721?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item58998d2b29Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

4. avantnoire Dec 11, 2012

Inadvertently creating a market! This is what I get for showing it on the Rolex forums..:rolleyes:

5. ulackfocus Dec 11, 2012

If you buy from that seller, make SURE you take the watch to a watchmaker IMMEDIATELY. While many of his watches are very nice, some have had a few shortcuts made when a repair was needed.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 11, 2012

Oh, I wasn't implying any manipulation or skullduggery - just a discerning collector's eye

agreed. He has a tendency to improvisation

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Dec 11, 2012

Very nice. The tropicals don't always work for me, but that one does.
    Along the same lines (also not for sale:))...

[​IMG]

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 11, 2012

interesting that the decimeter ring has faded on the G 382, but the subdials haven't. They look like the same pigment on unfaded dials.