Forums Latest Members

Folks who purchased used, are you happy with your decision to go used vs. new?

1. Harry_from_USA Jul 17, 2016

I'm going to have to go the used route for my first Omega and am thinking of a Seamaster that's closer to 14mm thick as opposed to the 16mm+ of the PO. I mean, would LOVE a Moonwatch and would even go hesalite... but it seems like the used prices on Moonwatches are steeper than used prices on Seamasters (am I wrong?).

Folks who purchased used Seamasters and/or Moonwatches, are you happy you went used vs new? I'm thinking of going to davidsw or chitownwatches route. I have decided not to go the grey market route. I'm concerned about purchasing something and it needing service right away too..

2004N210, Fritz and Darlinboy like this.
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 17, 2016

Rarely have I bought new, and rarely have I been unhappy.

If it is an Omega you seek, there is no better place to start than with member @Kringkily :thumbsup:

By the way, welcome. Here's your first like.
    image.png

3. Harry_from_USA Jul 17, 2016

Muchos gracias :)

4. Jking something intelligent and witty... Jul 17, 2016

I bought a used Seamaster AT from @Kringkily and absolutely best decision for me. I have a beautiful new omega at a great price and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again. Btw I agree with you that the Seamaster seems to be the better value for the money...but if you love the speedmaster (and you can afford it) but what you love otherwise you'll just end up spending the money again sooner rather than later!

5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 17, 2016

If you're a vintage watch enthusiast you have to have a lot of patience buying new.

Tiny Iota, NT931, lando and 2 others like this.
  6. Interstatetime Jul 17, 2016

I have never bought a new watch in my well over 40 years of watch buying. I am still buying "used" watches so I must be fairly happy doing it. Most of the time when I have been unhappy it has been when I have bought something I didn't know enough about on impulse...without doing my homework. Do your homework. Ask people here about watches before you buy.

JohnCote

noelekal, blubarb, aap and 2 others like this.
  7. Euxinus Jul 17, 2016

I have only bought one watch new, a sieko skx 007, all other purchases ( my multiple omegas ) have been used! I have done plenty of research about my purchases before I made them, and as a result I have been nothing but satisfied! The key to buying used is researching and not to make implies buys! Impulse buys can hurt unless you know copious amounts about the reference and you see an amazing deal, but this takes a lot of time to acquire such knowledge and plain luck to stumble upon such a deal.

If you are buying a modern watch and not vintage, used seems an amazing way to go as you can find watches that are " used" but show no signs of it and you can save a couple hundred to a thousand dollars. Good examples of this are watches sold by @Kringkily on the sales section of these forums, but I have personally not bought from him. When it comes time to buy myself a modern speedy or something I will most likely be checking out his listings before looking else where. @WatchVaultNYC also has great examples of used modern watches that show little signs of wear but are a lot less than new MSRP.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Jul 17, 2016

I'm of the opinion that I'd rather go into a purchase with low expectations and be pleasantly suprised rather than the other way around. This means used for me.

9. ulackfocus Jul 17, 2016

First buy a used version to try it out. If you like it, you can buy new or just keep the used one if it's in good enough shape.

Stas likes this.
  10. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 17, 2016

30 years, 150+ watches and never bought new...pretty happy with my decisions thus far :)

NauticalRN likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 17, 2016

With todays, new me new me society so many people want the newest and flashier models. Just look at IPhones. This means plenty of still in warranty last years new going cheap so why not take advantage of it. This applies to more than watches

NauticalRN likes this.
  12. jud Jul 17, 2016

I'm small potatoes compared to other members. I bought a hesalite sandwhich after looking for six months, when I finally found the right one I couldn't sleep for two nights and missed it. Long story short I paid $500 extra to the guy that bought it so it could be mine. Best money I've spent on a watch.

Condition, condition, condition.

I took that Speedy and a few other watches to a watchmaker in ATL. After we were done chatting and I had packed up my watches, he asked if he could see it one more time before I left. He said it was one of the nicest he had ever seen. Red dot stil intact, band was still tight.

The key to buying used is to be patient, understand what you are buying, and move when you find the right one. I did not follow through when I should have and it cost me, literally.

Willem023 and ahartfie like this.
  13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 17, 2016

I bought a new PO and a new LE Sinn, 2 slightly-used Speedys and a slightly-used Sinn, and 2 vintage Omeagas. I'm all for slightly-used over brand new. The only watch i would buy brand new right now is the LE Speedy, and I did not make the list...

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 17, 2016

I've bought new and used, can honestly say either scenario does not affect at all my long term enjoyment of the pieces. I like watches and I understand they keep time and are affected by time, so it doesn't matter to me if they're ticking on a storage box or someone's collection.

I do want to meet certain requirements on condition....but those are normally measured against price and my own feelings.

noelekal and blubarb like this.
  15. blubarb Jul 17, 2016

New or used - to me it doesn't matter (price aside) - just do your research, know what you're buying and then buy the best of that reference your money will stretch to. Buy the seller first where possible.

16. NT931 Jul 18, 2016

As many have said, buying slightly used (for modern watches) has worked out really well for me. 2/3 to 3/4 of the original price? Hooray!

But in such endeavours, research is important, especially in terms of buying the seller. Have had many positive experiences thus far.

17. NauticalRN Jul 20, 2016

Questions for the OF populous; does it matter when buying pre-owned that it comes with papers? Or box and papers?

18. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Jul 20, 2016

If I could, I would have bought a Sub 14060m new just to get my name on the papers, to hand down to my children and so on, but since they don't make them anymore, I had to buy used. So yes, I am happy. New or used doesn't really matte to me either.

19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 20, 2016

They are the icing on the cake , but I am just happy with a nice cake.
    Would never pass a nice watch over due to no box and papers.

( don't have any vintage with box and papers anymore )

watchknut likes this.
  20. Spy You know my name. Jul 20, 2016

I have never bought a used OMEGA(stopwatch not included) but my Crepas Scuba 500 is used with 1 year left on the warranty. So, far it loses only 0.6 seconds per day. I am very satisfied.