Forums Latest Members
  1. Traveler May 14, 2015

A week or so ago I came across a very intriguing watch for sale - something completely outside of my usual wheelhouse. It was reasonably priced, and from one of the big 3, but not only was it solid 18k yellow gold (a slightly dubious first for me), it had an inscription on the back, which was itself quite buffed (somewhat of a negative). I was fascinated by it, but it was so unusual and completely unknown to me that I was afraid to pull the trigger. It was also double signed by a Swiss jeweler 'Gubelin'. There was very little information listed along with the sale, where it was just described as a 'vintage' watch. A few days later I was doing my usual 'rounds' on the Interweb (which these days pretty much just consists of this place, Hodinkee, and a couple of favored dealer sites) and I read this article ...Audemars Piguet's own historian talking about upcoming sales...

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/Michael-Friedmans-Best-Vintage-APs-Of-May-2015

Lo and behold the first watch discussed was a white gold version of the watch I had been looking at - at least now I had a model number, and some context. It turns out it is an AP 5093, probably from the late 50s, and referred to by Italian collectors (who else?!) as a 'disco volante' or flying saucer! Here is the archive picture that was provided in the article, and you can see how appropriate the nick name is...it contains the long-time record breaking hand wound ultra thin 2003 movement introduced by AP in 1953.

image.jpg

Armed with this information ( and noting that they mention that a 18k YG version resides in the AP museum ) I went back to the sellers site on Friday with some trepidation... I was still a little unsure, but given the generous return policy on offer, I lifted it.

In the mean time, the one referred to in the article sold at auction for CHF 13,750 ($15k)... Many times what I paid for the YG version.

http://www.phillips.com/auctions/auction/CH080215/sort/artist

It arrived a couple of days ago. I absolutely love it, the bezel is immaculate (very important on this model I think ). I even don't mind the inscription...but there is one potentially troublesome area... The dial, or specifically the text on the dial appears to have gone blurry. This is not really visible to the naked eye at watch wearing distance, but under magnification it looks very weird... At first it screamed re-dial. It's very strange though, as there are a lot of lines as part of the dial design. These surround some different colored blocks on the dial perfectly, but they also look a bit fuzzy under magnification. I just seems odd that a re-dialer would pull that bit off OK and then blur the text - could the paint just have bled over time ? And it's such a rare and unusual watch, who would bother doing all of that to just sell the thing somewhat 'on the cheap'... Who knows? Anyway I decided to call AP and ask their opinion...

Talk about customer service! I spoke to someone in Switzerland, who passed me over to someone in the USA, who passed me over to none other than Michael Friedman ( AP historian ) and writer of the Hodinkee article... He was in the middle of a live auction, and took the call on his cell. But he still took the time to listen to my story (shorter version!). Anyway, he seemed as intrigued as I was, and offered to do some research. He even apologized that he wouldn't be able to reply before Friday, as he was traveling from the auction today! So I sent him these pictures, and am waiting eagerly to hear back... In the mean time if you have any thoughts, advice, experience of these, or have ever seen anything similar please let me know ! Here we go ...

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  2. ELV web May 14, 2015

Nice find, will be glad to hear more from the AP guy. But the dial of the gold one looks to have been redone. Still the watch itself if genuine sure has historical importance. Good luck with the fact finding mission.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 14, 2015

The text/fonts used for "Gubelin and AP" appear to match. I would expect the jeweler's signature to differ in some way, as it would normally have been added later. This makes me wonder if the dial was customized by (or for) the jeweler at the time, rather than just adding their name.

4. Traveler May 14, 2015

Good point!

5. ulackfocus May 14, 2015

It's most definitely a redial, and frankly, not a good one.

6. ConElPueblo May 17, 2015

I'd wager that the original dial had different fonts for make and dealer, and that these were "streamlined" when the redialer did his job.
    Bloody good looking, just need a crisper dial!

Sell it for a easy Hodinkee-flavoured profit ;)

Larry S and lenny like this.
  7. Traveler May 17, 2015

Agreed - I'm actually going to take it to show the AP historian next week (to discuss 'options' ) who thankfully happens to be in NY. It's bloody criminal that someone would do this to this watch! We'll see where it leads...

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  8. michaelmc Jun 1, 2015

At least a better quality re finish is in order. Very interesting time piece. m

OMGRLX likes this.
  9. Traveler Jun 1, 2015

Yes it's currently sitting in Le Brassus, and I'm awaiting a quotation to bring it back up to spec... Unfortunately this one has been tampered with in more recent times, but AP did confirm that these dials were hand painted in the first place, so no two would ever be exactly alike anyway...

10. italy1861 Jun 5, 2015

11. lenny Jun 5, 2015

^that is a bad redial.
    [​IMG]

12. italy1861 Jun 5, 2015

Thought so.. Not really my cup of tea, just saw this thread a few days ago and found the watch while I was checking local pawn/ jewelry exchanges websites...

13. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jun 5, 2015

Can't wait to hear the resolution...

14. DON Aug 10, 2016

So. No end to the story? Original dial etc.

Found this while reading another artivle on the Omega model

DON

15. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2016

Traveler is still about . Perhaps he will reveal.

OMGRLX likes this.
  16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 16, 2016

not a native italian, but "disco volante" could also mean flywheel/pressure plate (at least in spanish it does)...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Rman likes this.
  17. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 1, 2016

18. Traveler Sep 1, 2016

Oops - I was on vacation when this was posted ... Since I'm one of those losers that only ever looks at page 1 of 'recent' I totally missed it, apologies .... Yes it came back from AP with a rather large quotation to have the dial restored - I can't remember exactly how much but it was something like 3-4K - a few interesting things ...1. When I said ' no way, forget it, just send me the watch back' they immediately dropped the quoted price by half, like some kind of used car dealership, which I thought was odd ... 2. I had originally bought the watch from C&C and given I had kept them informed of the whole process, they honored an extended return policy, despite the lengthy delay in getting it back ( as you can see, they are still trying to sell it .... ) 3. There's another one on sale here : https://www.ebay.com/itm/131735940451Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

image.png

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Sep 1, 2016

They failed to mention the blatant redial and instead stated that the watch is in "Very Good condition" and "Crown & Caliber Certified Authentic".

Top notch stuff.

20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 1, 2016

Terribly disappointed in C&C. I thought they were above this. Or am I just naïve? Then again there is Hodinkee........
    :eek: