Forums Latest Members
  1. ac106 Mar 27, 2016

Hey all,

I'm mulling flipping my 145.012 and picking up a dark side of the moon.

My real worry is that in 5 years my vintage speedy is worth 10k and the dark side 3k

I know no one can see the future and that I will be upside down no matter what,
    but how disappointed will I be in 1/5/10 years?

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 27, 2016

3. alam Mar 27, 2016

Your guess is as good as those who try to predict how the US economy will do in 1/5/10 years... ::popcorn::

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 27, 2016

My p0v: It will be very difficult to replace the watch you sell because inflation is a certainty. Depreciation on a new watch is also a certainty. Get a late used model and keep your vintage speedy.

watchme, empdx, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 27, 2016

Depreciation of a new watch vs appreciation of a vintage one.

Obviously the answer is that financially you will lose money buying a DSOM.

And I think I can say that any 321 speedmaster will appreciate faster than money in the bank.

So it's all about money, and instant gratification vs your financial goals.

Right now , in my opinion, anyone who sells a speedmaster today will regret it in a year - unless that is the only place in the world they can raise the money for an urgent need.

gemini4, davidswiss, Traveler and 4 others like this.
  6. abrod520 Mar 27, 2016

Probably very. If you're not as fond of the 145.012 anymore, you should certainly sell it on - but I'd only do so for another vintage watch. New watches depreciate, and the DSOTM (though I love it) is a very contemporary style, which you might be tired of in 5 years' time...

Buy new watches with money you've saved up for / bonus money / tax returns etc, as they're more of a luxury than an investment.

Optimizer13 and Badwolf like this.
  7. kpaxsg Mar 27, 2016

Vintage 321s hedges against inflation indeed....

SwissZ and Spacefruit like this.
  8. cimo Mar 27, 2016

Trading vintage for new I think would be a financial turnaround. As posters above mentioned vintage tends to appreciate (as its value is already market based on collectability) whereas a DSOM will depreciate from its NIB price to that which the secondary market dictates.

The question is whether DSOM will become in its own right as collectible as a vintage speedy in 1/5/10 years. That is something none could really predict with much accuracy.

Third is whether you like vintage more than you like new or vice versa. That is strictly a personal choice.

In sum, you have to weigh the financial aspect against your enjoyment of the timepiece and its place in your collection.

For me the answer would be clear. But if it were a GSOM in question, then maybe my decision would be a little more murky ;)

9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Mar 27, 2016

Why would anyone sell a watch? One is supposed to accumulate watches I thought...

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 27, 2016

Supply and demand would make a 321 more valuable. On the off chance dsotm go up people will unload them and drive the price down. It's not a limited edition and when was the last time a non LE went up within 10 years. Luxury watches new have been selling well recently but there are signs this is slowing and watch makers have over produced and new watches are dropping in price. Which would drive down newer used watches more then usual.

11. glownyc Mar 28, 2016

No one can fully know what will happen in 5 years. Which watch do you think will make you happiest over the next 5 years?

12. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Mar 28, 2016

True, but in a little over three years it will be the 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing. I'd be fairly confident in predicting that there will be even more 'mainstream' coverage of the Speedmaster's involvement and you'd have to think Omega themselves will be making a bit of noise :whistling:.
    [Though, me and TLI Guy still think they should have done more for the 50th of Ed White's Gemini IV spacewalk :( ]

If you can wait 3 years and watch the trends, and if you still fancy the DSOTM then, I'm prepared to predict you'll be reasonably happy :cool:
    In the meantime enjoy the ::censored:: out of that 145-012. :thumbsup:

Dash1, Larry S, Tritium and 1 other person like this.
  13. Badwolf Mar 28, 2016

Personally I'm not that interested in the DSOM, I couldn't give an unbiased opinion on which to choose. I would agree with others here about the rising value of the 145-012. I bought one recently after tracking the prices and realising I soon wouldn't be able to afford one.

More importantly where's the pics! ::popcorn::

oddboy likes this.
  14. Davidt Mar 28, 2016

Just playing devils advocate, some do.

The Seamaster 2254.50 has steadily increased over recent years, so if the dsotm is discontinued, it may increase in value.

Despite that, I still think you'd do much better financially with a vintage Speedmaster.

But come on, it's a watch not an investment. Buy what you like and want to wear. If you need to sell in the future and values have gone up, great! Just don't bank on it and you won't be disappointed.

I get the impression that some people are spending large amounts of vintage Speedmasters, convincing themselves that it's ok as prices will definitely have increased again in 1/2/5 years time. I think this is possible, even likely, but I don't at all think its a certainty.

watchtinker and LawBrk like this.
  15. grizzlycanuck Mar 28, 2016

Maybe we should have some pictures of your 145.012 to help you make a decision?? [emoji16]

16. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 28, 2016

yeah ... and a bit of noise means at least 10-15 LE's until then ... :whistling: [​IMG]

17. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Mar 28, 2016

[emoji57] you don't have to buy all of them [emoji1]

18. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Mar 28, 2016

Whatever floats your boat, as not all collectors are looking for monetary gain on their watches.

I can where you are coming from based on the fact that I would have to imagine that you paid substantially less than current market for the 145.012, and that with you lower cost basis, you can get into a DSOTM, a $6.5-7k used watch for an even swap.

If you love the DSOTM, then go for it, as if you are contemplating the trade, the 145.012 with the 321 doesn't speak to you like it does the posters on this thread.

I collect for enjoyment and investment, and personally think this trade is silly, but I realize that not everyone has my view on watches. Do what makes you happy...but don't be surprised when the DSOTM is a $4k watch and the 145.012 is worth substantially more.

KstateSkier and MikiJ like this.
  19. watchtinker Mar 28, 2016

:thumbsup: I couldn't have said it better myself.

Larry S likes this.
  20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 28, 2016

no, but the more/more frequent they throw LE into the market, the lower the chances that they will increase in value ... cos ... an unlimited number of LE takes the L out of LE:whistling:

just ask the extremely happy guys over in the Breitling corner ;-)

cheers