Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. bama2141

bama2141 Apr 24, 2018

Over the years I’ve built up a fairly nice collection of Omega chronographs from the 1970s and 1980s - racing and black dialed MkIIs, a MkIV, Mk4.5, a Teutonic, a Seamaster Jedi, a Seamaster with a 321, and, of course, several Speedy Pros. The gaping hole is the Flightmaster.

Now, especially with the imminent release of the Flightmaster Only book, I’m feeling that I need to get one. Problem is, I’ve never been really drawn to it. 52mm lug-to-lug? Yikes. A plethora of hands in every color imaginable? Yikes again. Five crowns and pushers? Triple yikes.

All that said, the Feeling Of Missing Out is strong. Will prices double, triple, quadruple after the book comes out? Will good examples disappear from sale? Will I later realize I really do like it?

To those of you out there that own one - do you wear it? If so, do you need an 8” wrist to do it? Is it too “cartoonish” to wear in mixed company? Should I just stop whining and get one?

2. efauser

efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 24, 2018

I have 7.5" wrists and felt mine was too massive (Flightmaster, of course).

3. Noles_88

Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Apr 24, 2018

I have one. Don’t really like it. Too big. Can kill someone if you back slap them. Lol.

4. BenBagbag

BenBagbag Apr 24, 2018

This thread needs a picture (and it ain't gonna be from me!). :whistling:

ulackfocus likes this.
  5. Andy K

Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Apr 24, 2018

Well I have always liked the FM but didn’t love the example I originally had a few years back - one of those times when blurred eBay pics were not hiding a hidden gem but hiding flaws...

I had meant to grab another one “someday”, but seeing what Greg and Anthony’s first book did to Speedy prices the announcement of the new book sufficiently motivated me to get one sooner rather than later...and then because I lack self control I got another. :D So not quite FOMO but fear of prices moving out of range for sure.

As to wearability, I think they wear well compared to my Big Blue and my Mark III; the slimmer profile and domed crystal of the 145.013 do seem to help compared to the 145.036 I had back then.
    F77E9613-1203-41CC-8BCD-4B5F144572F6.jpeg 6030E7E1-72D9-4291-8FCB-CF9AB2529361.jpeg

Oh and the book is already out, and I can’t recommend it enough. The history of the watch is every bit is fascinating as the design. :thumbsup:

6. 77deluxe

77deluxe Apr 24, 2018

I don’t know what the book will do to prices. I feel like the Ploprof book didn’t send Ploprof prices through the roof. The remake of the Ploprof probably had more of an impact on pricing.

7. bama2141

bama2141 Apr 24, 2018

Interesting - Amazon shows the release of the book on June 30th. I do see though that it is available for order direct from Watchprint.com

8. FreelanceWriter

FreelanceWriter Apr 24, 2018

My wrist is 7.5" and it wears fine; and keep in mind that I'm someone who believes that practically every time anybody has ever posted a thread asking whether his watch is too big on him, it looks totally ridiculous to me, notwithstanding the encouragement from other responders who suggest that it looks "fine." When I had a 911 (in a 911 case), it felt like the watch was just too heavy for its 1162; but it's also possible that I could have removed a link and used the micro-adjustment holes on the clasp to find a better bracelet length. OTOH, it definitely felt like a very tall watch that was prone to accidental scrapes with door frames and doorknobs unless you were consciously careful about that. My current 911 (transitional in a 910 case) feels noticeably thinner, seems less likely to take an accidental hit, and never budges on its original 1162 bracelet. It's actually slightly smaller than my Seiko SNA225, at least lug to lug.

Edited Apr 24, 2018
  9. roadsternet

roadsternet Apr 25, 2018

I have a very small 7" wrist and wear the flighty with a calf strap.
    For me and my wrist "no problemo"

10. Magnix

Magnix Apr 25, 2018

I think the prices dont increase a lot because for many people it is Just too big...

11. eugeneandresson

eugeneandresson Apr 25, 2018

145.036 on 7.5 inch wrist : fine

743DB9A5-84B4-4D81-8365-AFD675D92D4E.jpeg

145.013 on same wrist : similar, but better.

B70D7EE7-1D51-4B41-A615-E05CDABA17F0.jpeg

As @Andy K said (and what you don’t see from any of these perspectives), that extra few mm shaved off the top makes for a better ‘hugging’ watch.

My advice if you haven’t already : try them on when you can. Also if the watch aesthetics don’t speak to you at all, then forget about it...you are not missing anything. The dividing nature of the watches appearance imo means they will not be as sought after (or skyrocket) as Speedies no matter how many books are written. But that’s just speculation, and nobody can say.

bama2141 and pascs like this.
  12. pascs

pascs Apr 25, 2018

I like my flightmasters but they dont have the same universal appeal as the Speedmaster, the size, shape and dial design are to no everones liking. I'd say that prices wont increase significantly.

My early model 145.013, with a bit of patina :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. bama2141

bama2141 Apr 25, 2018

Definitely some good points made here. As I had heard before, the 910 version wears better. Even so, most responses indicate it’s somewhat of a beast.

Unfortunately, these things don’t show up on every street corner to be able to find one and try it on. The thickness itself seems less an issue, especially with the 910 version, since I already wear many watches in the 15mm range. More concerned with the lug to lug on my puny (but fairly flat) 7 inch wrist.

I appreciate all the comments and photos. Perhaps the best course would be to give a 910 a try if I can find one (maybe not in the best condition) at a very low price. If it’s a winner for me, I could the look for a better one. If not, there wouldn’t be much of a loss.

14. Foxy100

Foxy100 Apr 25, 2018

There's something missing here:

[​IMG]

I've wanted a 911 for some time but have never quite managed to get my hands on one. I really want something original and unmolested but have no idea how or when I'll find one! I was discussing one recently but someone's given the case a bit of a brush so it needs to visit a lapping machine. I'm kind of tempted (price is acceptable) but I'd rather have something showing a few battle scars.

bama2141 and propervinyl like this.
  15. amanson

amanson Apr 25, 2018

Wow, I did lot realize the Flightmaster was that big. That being said, it does not appear to wear that big seeing those wrist shots.

16. tyrantlizardrex

tyrantlizardrex C is NOT for "Lizard". Apr 25, 2018

I've not got the smallest wrists, and these are not small watches.

They are heavy, they are large, and they are not for everyone.

Buy one if you like it, it fits well, and you want to spend the cash. :thumbsup:

Don't buy one because other people are. :thumbsdown:

IMG_2805.JPG IMG_2994.JPG