Forums Latest Members
  1. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Apr 4, 2013

This is news to me. Omega officially saying that the Flightmaster is a spacewatch.

Quote:
    Omega Flightmaster,a wrist chronograph derived from the famous Speedmaster – official watch of the Apollo astronauts. We sent that one to the moon before we checked out this one for the jets.”
    At the time, Omega didn’t realize that the Flightmasters were also involved in their own adventures in space on the wrists of Soviet Cosmonauts who would continue to wear the dedicates pilot watches until 1974 when they started preparing for their meeting with American astronauts during the Apollo –Soyuz mission in 1975.

Found at:
    http://www.omegamuseum.com/pioneering-spirit

We have all seen Mr Leonov in training and by the podium. But Omega saying "Flightmasters were also involved in their own adventures in space on the wrists of Soviet Cosmonauts " is a new thing for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 4, 2013

Yes, it is an interesting story. In Russsia I was told a nice anecdote. It says, that Leonov gave his watch to Leonid Breshniev as a present after the Soyuz project. some years later there was an official meeting, Breshniev hold a speech and Leonov was among the guests. When Breshiev looked to Leonov, he pointed to his own wrist to ask by sign if Breshniev still had his present. Brezhnev dramatically shortend his speech that day, as he though form Leonovs gesture that he was in delay somehow :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]