Forums Latest Members

Flea Market Finds! Yesterday at Round Top TX

1. redpcar Mar 31, 2018

Spent yesterday from 8am to 4pm walking the grounds at a MONSTER flea market in Round Top, Texas. Scored a bunch of watches, crystals, Accutron meter and misc tools. This is an out door market so none of them were runners but priced stupid cheap. After about 8 hours, I have these beauties running nicely.
    Wakmann triple date chrono with box and booklet Valjoux 730. (crystal and jacked up hairspring = 2 hrs)
    Girard Perregaux . (balance staff & mainspring = 30 min)
    Mido Oceanstar Powerwind stainless. (crystal)
    Hamilton Automatic. (some jerk-weed put a solid stem in a top loader and removed the dial retaining screws in order to get to the movement. WTH? = 1 hr to sift through misc split stems that would work)
    Mido Oceanstar Powerwind gold filled. (crystal)
    Enicar. (crystal and generally dirty with a rusted on case back = 2 hrs)
    Now to sift and sort the 10,000 crystals..........and eventually make it around to the other watches.

Flea Market.jpg
  2. ICONO Mar 31, 2018

Well done !

A terrific days hunting

Were the prices reasonable ?

3. watchdaddy1 Mar 31, 2018

Some nice finds. Congrats!

Jdeere42 likes this.
  4. redpcar Mar 31, 2018

I spent a grand total of $400 all day. Still have another 15 watches that need more work than I'm willing to give except this big Tissot Seastar. Super clean looking but the movement was locked up. I could see a small screw missing during inspection and figured it just made its way into the gear train (usually the case) sadly it made its way into the gears but the owner refused to accept that it was locked and kept cranking on the crown and ground off all the teeth from the minute wheel. Now sitting in pieces. 2481 Movement (Omega 1481) part is $50. Unless someone wants to donate ;)

Tissot .jpg

5. SeaSubRod Jun 19, 2018

Love these stories. Never had much luck at flea markets, but think that's a consequence of living on the East Coast where perhaps there are more savvy pickers? Or perhaps I simply don't have the eye for it!

Cheers, keep it up. That Triple Date looks choice (please lmk if you're getting rid of the book a papers separately).

6. gdupree Jun 19, 2018

I grew up frequently antiquing with my parents in Round Top. I need to make it back out there! Great finds.

7. Wryfox Jun 19, 2018

Man, I was thinking you said Round Rock, which I thought..cool, I've been there...nice place. But then saw it was Round Top and thought where the heck is that? Looked it up on Google maps....wow, that's the middle of nowhere!

Glad it was worth the trip!

TexOmega and gdupree like this.
  8. gdupree Jun 19, 2018

Yup, actually Round Rock was more commonly visited for me. Have done the same around Round Top and La Grange too.

9. TexOmega Jun 19, 2018

Smile when you say that, Pilgrim...…….:D

10. redpcar Jun 19, 2018

I live in Round Rock. Round Top is 80 miles down the road. Halfway to Houston :)

11. Albe100 Jun 20, 2018

400!? The wakmann alone made your day. Great finds!