Forums Latest Members

Flaw Not Visible from 1 Foot Away is OK for a New Watch?

1. WatchVaultNYC Sep 8, 2018

ext1 and kov like this.
  2. jzzmusician Sep 8, 2018

Sort of depressing and reminds me of how my sister in law cooks; "It's good enough. Nobody will care."

If the marketing guys say "make it less expensive," and the watchmaking staff doesn't care, what do you have left?

thanks for posting,

- bob

3. many Sep 8, 2018

I’d be really curious what brands this applies to. I’m guessing Rolex is one as you can’t tell the rehaut is misaligned from 30cm away and I’ve seen a lot of misaligned rehauts.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 8, 2018

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  5. ext1 Sep 9, 2018

So I guess they think people wear watches on their 30cm long arms now?

In seriousness probably it's because I guess it has to do with how a viewer looks at the wearer from a distance and judges the wearer's appearance but....that kind of standard is just...it defies explanation because I don't know why they would think of in terms of not the wearer.

6. WatchVaultNYC Sep 9, 2018

I just used a ruler (about 1 foot) and it looks like that's about "wrist length" i.e. how far the watch would be if you look at it for the time. So it looks like the expectation nowadays is that you shouldn't expect a new watch to look perfect any closer than that. There goes all the threads from people that their new watch has flaws under an extreme macro shot.

michael22 likes this.
  7. kov Trüffelschwein. Sep 9, 2018

A surprising rule-of-thumb for that world of accuracy and precision ::screwloose::

Wryfox, lando, Eve and 8 others like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2018

Most of them. Certainly mid-tier watch brands like Rolex, Omega, etc. use these sorts of standards.

I can give you some additional details for Omega specifically, as outlined in Work Instruction 14. The distance is 30 cm, with the naked eye, and the lighting requirements are quite specific in that the lamp used must have a brightness of 2000 to 2500 LUX and a colour temperature of 5500 KELVIN.

But this only tells half the story really. It's what's allowed to be there under these inspection conditions that's as important, if not more so.

But again this is why these criteria are merely a starting point for me, and many other watchmakers I know...just like the timing tolerances are, the date change tolerances are. etc. These criteria are exceeded by good watchmakers every day...

Cheers, Al

9. WatchVaultNYC Sep 9, 2018

Well, what is the other half of the story?

89-0 likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2018

I already told you. Each specific attribute of a watch has criteria of what is and what isn't acceptable when viewed at the 30 cm distance under the specific lighting they call for.

Edited Sep 9, 2018
  11. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 9, 2018

Obviously pre-Instagram era work instructions as nowadays macro shots show every piece of dust on a dial :D

nzshadow and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2018

If Instagram came out in May of 2018 you are right...the last update to this criteria was made in April of this year...

kkt and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  13. Tik-Tok of Oz Sep 9, 2018

I know I have been told that I look much better to others from at least a foot away. That’s why I’m not on instagram.:D

TJH, Mad Dog, eatabagel and 3 others like this.
  14. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Sep 9, 2018

I am sure Omega can improve the criteria. It would simply require raising the prices to cover the additional costs.

15. Lbreak Sep 9, 2018

Hmm interesting, I wonder how did they come up with this standards. I mean, it probably has to make economical sense? Saving good amount of labour, resulting in not too many returned pieces?

16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 9, 2018

Well that's amazing... I wouldn't spend Euro 7000.00 on a watch with flaws visible :thumbsdown:

Jwit likes this.
  17. WatchVaultNYC Sep 9, 2018

Well that's just it. Just what is "visible"? Standards have to be set of course. It is completely unreasonable to expect perfection at infinite magnification. Someone has to draw a line somewhere of what's "reasonable" and "unreasonable". In this case, the line was drawn at "wrist length" - 30cm or about a foot away from your face, in daylight (approx 5500k), and 2000-2500 lux (is this equivalent to lumens?) per @Archer

I think what can be inferred here is that the vast majority of people do not look at their watches through a loupe or magnifying lens. Or if they do, they do not find it unreasonable to see imperfections in their watches when seen under magnification.

Edited Sep 9, 2018
    nzshadow likes this.
  18. many Sep 9, 2018

I wonder where grand seiko fits into this. Anecdotally the snowflakes I've seen have really impressive finishing even under a loupe.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2018

1 Lux = 1 lumen per square metre.

This is why you often see the advice on watch forums to never look at the watches you own with a loupe. What has been seen cannot be unseen...

Mad Dog, kkt and WatchVaultNYC like this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 9, 2018

Expecting perfection at this level is not realistic.

Lbreak, WatchVaultNYC and dan7800 like this.